Thread: Info about Haul Road

Default Info about Haul Road

Im trying to plan a hunt along the Haul Road next year with my father in law. We are planning on walking in the 5 miles any advice.

It's a tough hunt. I'm sure you're aware of that but I can't stress it enough that this is not easy walking. I found the walk to be comparable to sheep hunting as far as energy level required.

There are two spots that I know of that will help with the walk some what. The first is the Solid Waste Transfer Station, which is north of Galbraith and on the east side of the road. The gravel road for the waste station will get you back about a mile and a half before you have to walk on tundra. The second is an old road a few miles north of the waste station on the west side of the road. You'll know it's the one if you see a three foot berm just past the pipeline on the access road. The road actually keeps going for about a mile and a quarter to a gravel pit.

You can also drive down the roads for Toolik and Galbraith but depending on how early in the year you go the caribou might not be that far south yet. In my experience you need to wait for late September if you want to use Toolik and Galbraith. The other two spots I mentioned have produced for me in August and early September.

Whitetail,
    Check out the archives, there is a lot of good information there about the haul.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default lots of time

to get your bow hunting qual. I would still walk in a ways but not 5 miles!

Dave

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone. I bow hunt to but have no one to bow hunt with. Otherwise i would just hunt that way.
    thanks again

I did a walk in this year, 5 miles took almost 5 hours, I went light and did not take my bow. Big mistake I seen 2 nice bulls, one I walked past at 25 yards. Take a plastic sled with you for pulling your gear/meat across the tundra. If I did it again I would hike and camp at the 3-4 mile mark and hunt both weapons depending on where the bulls are.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

I fully agree with Frank on this one. When we did the 5-mile hike to help recover a caribou that our rifle-hunting friend shot, my other buddy carried his bow along and nailed a really nice bull at about the 4.5 mile mark. We noticed that the caribou were much easier to stalk to within bow range once you were past a mile out from the road. When I go up again we'll probably camp 1-2 miles from the road and bowhunt out there. More peaceful and you're all alone. The only potential downside is that the caribou can move out of the area in a day and you won't see them again - hence the nice thing about being able to cruise the road. After a few days of hunting near the road, though, I had had about enough of sharing the stalk with 4-5 of my fellow hunters. Take a walk, but be prepared for brutal conditions and rolled ankles.

-Brian

The bow hunting thing sounds great. I am willing to do that but a need a local partner to go with. Does anyone live around Anchorage that would be willing to tag along with a first timer to the Haul Road.

Default haul road

What kind of shape are you in? You can't start working out soon enough for that hunt. Like has been discussed many times before, it looks like a nice "smooth as a golf coarse" walk. Nothing could be further from the truth. The tips about using some of the off shoot roads to cut the distance is a great idea, but how many other folks do that same thing? I think there may have been a day in time that I could have do that hike without even breathing hard but not anymore. EricL