Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bullet for the 7mm rem mag

Default What bullet for the 7mm rem mag

It's time to start reloading and I want to work up a big 7 round for all around use. I carry my 7 for elk, moose, and boo. It's a little big for boo but I don't want to pass up a easy shot at a brown if it happens. I use the 457 mag for browns if that is what I'm looking for.

My vanguard loves blue box 150's (1" at 200y) and does decent with 160 TBBC. I'm thinking about 160's and if I can get 170-175's to shoot decent, my gun does not like 175 factory stuff.

Thoughts so far are:
    Nosler accubond
    swift A-frame
    hornady gmx
    barnes x

What do yo think? Built for big game out to 400 you want dead but could handle a brown just in case.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by dbeast71 View Post
    It's time to start reloading and I want to work up a big 7 round for all around use. I carry my 7 for elk, moose, and boo. It's a little big for boo but I don't want to pass up a easy shot at a brown if it happens. I use the 457 mag for browns if that is what I'm looking for.

My vanguard loves blue box 150's (1" at 200y) and does decent with 160 TBBC. I'm thinking about 160's and if I can get 170-175's to shoot decent, my gun does not like 175 factory stuff.

Thoughts so far are:
    Nosler accubond
    swift A-frame
    hornady gmx
    barnes x

What do yo think? Built for big game out to 400 you want dead but could handle a brown just in case.
    mine love the 150 - 170 accubonds and ballistic tip Noslers.. i would shoot ol grizz with that 170 accubond in a second flat... using RL 19
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default 2 cents

175g partition if you're loading the 7 MAG for bears. Have heard good things about the bullets in your list, but they ain't bear bullets IMHO. Especially in sub .30 bullets.

I shoot 180 partitions in my 308 and 30-06's and 225 partitions in my 338WM.

There's other's available that run with the partitions but I haven't shot them.

150 E-Tip....

[QUOTE=rdklinak;628069]175g partition if you're loading the 7 MAG for bears. Have heard good things about the bullets in your list, but they ain't bear bullets IMHO. Especially in sub .30 bullets.

I shoot 180 partitions in my 308 and 30-06's and 225 partitions in my 338WM.

Just curious and have to ask, what makes a Partition a big bear bullet and is lacking on the Swift A frame. I believe the A frame is just basically a heavier jacketed bonded Partition. Just wanting to know if you had a bad experience or there is something I am not aware of that makes the Nosler better. I ask because I am thinking of using the Swift in an application that Nosler doesn't make a bullet to meet my needs.

I've had better luck with the 160g tsx than the 175g partition on moose with the 7mag. Both eventually killed the animal, the tsx just did it much faster.

The first shot with the partition exploded on the shoulder and the animal dropped shortly after the second shot. The 2nd bullet was lost somewhere in the lungs however I didn't take the time to recover what was left. The tsx on the other hand dropped the moose after it ran about 15 feet. I recovered that bullet just under the opposite side hide. 1 pedal of the four remained.

I feel the partition would have performed better at a longer distance as I had them loaded fairly hot, about 2900 FPS with Retumbo. The shot was about 30-40 yards.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bullets you mentioned for anything in AK up to Moose sized animals. I've never shot a Griz so can't comment on 7mag performance in that department. If I had to choose however, it would be the tsx.

160gr Barnes at 2950-3000fps is like the hammer of THOR. I put one through a bull elk diagonally, went in the front shoulder, exited the hind quarter. Petal hung on the hide on the exit hole, recovered bullet weighed 156grs, magazine ad perfect mushroom. It's the only 160gr X bullet I've recovered.

X bullets have always seemed like they worship pressure. I had much better luck accuracy wise when I worked them up to a max load, anything less and the group opened up. Another thing I noticed is they don't like rough factory barrels, some rifles just spray them.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

160 grain Nosler Partitions.

With thet 7 Mag. yew kin keel anything in Narth America, and maybe the wurld, and do a good job of it. Deers, Elks, Caribous, Mooses, Bars, Horse-Shoe Rabbits, Whatever.

Guaranteed expansion, penetration, and flat shootin. What more could you want?

Watta gun. Watta boolit.

JMO
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I shoot 160gr Nosler Partitions in my 7mm mag. They're a solid performing round that will hold up against bone and tough animals. The NP's have a better ballistic coefficient than the Barnes helping you maintain velocities in the long range 7mm. Maintained velocities also helps the 160's carry more energy down range so don't have to worry about switching to a 175 gr bullet.

Wish they made the GMX and E-Tips in 160 gr, I would like to give them a try.

Call me a geezer, but I've been using the 7 mag since the second year it was released. What is that, something over 40 years? I'm too old to remember. I've personally worn out three barrels with it, in addition to the used rifles that have come and gone.

Over the years I've used a great variety of bullets, whether choosing for a particular animal or out of plain old curiosity. Bullets lighter than 150 are too light for my tastes. For me, the 160 Nosler partition has evolved as the best compromise weight and make. If I was forced to use the round for brown bear in an emergency, I'd have as much confidence in it as any other. I've never seen any practical difference between it and the 175 partition on game, while I do see a difference for long range trajectory.

I've killed virtually everything in North America from mice to moose with it, but no bears. It's just not my first choice for big bears. I'd use it in defense, but certainly choose something else for a combo hunt which included brown bear. Interior grizzly might be okay, but I'd still be inclined to reach for something a little bigger, I think.

Looks like the old partition is still a well liked bullet. I pulled up federal ballistic's calc and those Barnes X 140's don't retain near as much energy as the Noslers and the noslers are way cheaper, the 160s look good though. I've heard a few complaints on partitions coming apparts which is why I wa thinking about teh accubond or a-frame.

I just picked up a 280 mountain rifle too. Not that a hand rolled 7mm has much on the 280 but now I can have a light deer 140-150 7 and a big mag 160 7 for teh longer range bigger stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dbeast71 View Post
    Looks like the old partition is still a well liked bullet. I pulled up federal ballistic's calc and those Barnes X 140's don't retain near as much energy as the Noslers and the noslers are way cheaper, the 160s look good though. I've heard a few complaints on partitions coming apparts which is why I wa thinking about teh accubond or a-frame.

I just picked up a 280 mountain rifle too. Not that a hand rolled 7mm has much on the 280 but now I can have a light deer 140-150 7 and a big mag 160 7 for teh longer range bigger stuff.
    Yeah.....put me in the partition come upart column. That's ok though, at least they're not all that accurate and have a low bc.

Since you reload you'll love the .280. Not much difference between worked up .280 loads and factory 7mag. until you get to the 175gr bullets. Pity Remington always underloaded the .280 because it was intended for the 740 semi-auto and they didn't trust it with .270 pressures.

personally I would stick with a heavy for caliber bullet weight. In my 280 Rem. I shot 150's exclusively and it shot lights out. with the big brother 7 Rem. you could go 150-160's. where as your going after big critters sounds like you need the real heavies. I.M.O. ideally for game.....velocities in the 2800-3000 fps are almost ideal for good bullet performance in any caliber. as far as shooting heavy bullets i.e. 170-190's that will depend on your twist rate, my 280 was 1 in 9 and I could not get the 160's to shoot at all, other wise I would have stuck with the 160's when they wouldnt shoot I didnt bother going any heavy. as far as bullet selection i like Barnes Swift Grand slams and of course the Nosler partitions

Quote Originally Posted by Wapiti00 View Post
    as far as bullet selection i like Barnes Swift Grand slams and of course the Nosler partitions
    This reminds me......you don't see them mentioned hardly at all but I have seen really good results from Speer and Hornady bullets. I poked a 450lb blackie last year with a 129gr Hornady Spire Point .264 bullet and it was stuck under the hide on the far side and weighs 110grs and is .55 in diameter. It hit a rib on the way in and one the way out. 85% weight retention and double diameter from a non-premium bullet is good. Great accuracy too. X bullets are still my favorite.

huh, this is disheartening hear that the 140 barnes triple x out my 7mm are no good. Thought I had found a good load to try, ugg!

Try it anyway. You never can tell about your own rifle and it's taste, and if a 140 suits your circumstances, then it still might be the perfect bullet.

It's like the stories of Nosler partitions coming apart. To read them, you'd think Noslers are fragile and something stouter is necessary, but I've never had one come apart in 100's of animals in the last 45 years. I'm sure the Barnes is a great bullet, but the reports aren't enough to make me think Nosler is a bad bullet. In fact, the traditional Barnes work so well, I've always wondered why the new are needed.

Just different folks and different guns.

Thumbs up 160gr

The 7mm Mag has its best performance with 160gr.

I prefer the 160gr Nosler Accubond and Reloader 22

Thumbs up what is the twist

do you know the twist of your barrel?
    don't know what you are using it for but you might want to try a barnes 140 grain tsx bt
    federal primer number gm215m
    i use 60 grains of rl 22, around 2870 fps
    winchester case trimed to 2.490
    works good for me this is barnes chart
    sd 0.248
    bc 0.406

Mine is an older savage 110. These were just some rounds a buddy who reloads sent me, recommending I try them. I am shooting 160 grain nosler partitions...they shoot ok. I think it's a 1 in 10. I plan on switching scopes up grading just a little and seeing what she can do. So they sent me some ammo for this one too...the 140 barnes triple x's to see how they shoot.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Try it anyway. You never can tell about your own rifle and it's taste, and if a 140 suits your circumstances, then it still might be the perfect bullet.

It's like the stories of Nosler partitions coming apart. To read them, you'd think Noslers are fragile and something stouter is necessary, but I've never had one come apart in 100's of animals in the last 45 years. I'm sure the Barnes is a great bullet, but the reports aren't enough to make me think Nosler is a bad bullet. In fact, the traditional Barnes work so well, I've always wondered why the new are needed.

Just different folks and different guns.
    For what its worth.... Nosler Partitions have a long history of getting the job done, but I wasn't impressed with two of my 250 grain Partitions from a .338 Win Mag on a brown bear, both exploded into fragments and my buddy's 230 FailSafe came out picture perfect hung up on the hide and still retained 229 grains! Too bad the FailSafe bullets are gone... I now use the Barnes TTSX in 225 grains, the group great, perform perfect, and don't think I'll load anything else for my .338 Win Mag.

But as you said "Just different folks and different guns" and bullets too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast