Thread: My winter survival kit.

Default My winter survival kit.

Been carrying this in the truck. Its come in handy so far with the light, hatchet, first aid kit and leatherman.

Here are its contents,

1. Hatchet
    2. Leatherman
    3. Matches, and one of those swiss army starter things.
    4. Tissues, steel wool
    5. 2 Light sticks,
    6. 100' of para cord
    7. Space blanket
    8. Big Plastic Bag
    8. Duct tape
    9. Safety pins
    10. First aid kit
    11. Emergency drinking straw.
    12 Little petzl headlamp

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

good start there matt!!!!i also keep a good sleeping bag on hand.. though i have never had to personally use it.... it has laid under many people hurt in an accident rather then lay them on the pavement....i also keep a small stove in the kit.. ( msr is what i currently carry) to heat water or if trapped or injured. heat. if your first aide kit has HOT/cold packs.. a bit of foil to wrap them in and lay on you engine manafold to heat some one if need be. it does not take us long at all out on the road to get out of cell range and be more then 30-60 minutes from emergancy services ariving.. if at all, at some times of night..also 3-4 pairs of monkey gloves.. they never seem to last... but in 2005 while on my way to a x mas party with my 3 year old... i had a blow out on the Elliott Hwy.. dress shoes, slacks. and a flat tire at -45...those extra pairs were SURE NICE to kneel on...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

...great compilation, and ideas!-and good thread-

-also, do you include a shovel in your vehicle?

Default Selections from a long list...

depending on situation.

A shovel and chains too are on my truck survival kit list for trips to less-traveled road area where I could get snowed in. Vince could probably risk getting snowed in on any trip!

Hatchet is a good thought. I keep road flares in the truck - useful for firestarting if needed, but a pile of wood on top of that would be needed for real warmth.

Good thread!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

In addition to the items already mentioned I normally have:

a tow strap or three in the tool box,
    a portable 2 1/2 ton floor jack, (much better than the standard jacks issued with trucks)
    a bag of rock salt
    some rope
    shackels, clevice's, or other binding devices
    Reece receiver hitch with hook or clevice
    Tool bag full of common tools, tape, electric wire, ect
    Hi Lift Jack to be used as a jack or come along

I seem to always have what others need more than what I need, but hey, it's always nice to be able to help someone out.

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ...great compilation, and ideas!-and good thread-

-also, do you include a shovel in your vehicle?
    This Bag is more for me and the dogs while we are out hunting. Or for strapping to the ATV. I generally am on the pavement only with my truck and only use the most popular stretches of highway. I just didnt gear it towards vehicle recovery.

Default servival kit

It's good to see that others carry something to care for themselves and others on the road. I think every one should , even though they may not know how to use it all. First aid books are available and cheap enough to throw in provide appropreate reading material if one is stuck with nothing else to do but wait.
    From the old search and rescue days, I have learned to carry a pack in the truck at all times, inspecting the gear periodicly. Zip loc bags are good but being in the truck chaffing eventually gets to every thing ,and so can critters.
    knives and saw ,hatchet, cable saw
    first aid
    tools
    water and water filter, food(MRE's) stove and spare gas
    rope ,climbing / repelling gear
    shovels, pack shovel and snow shovel, snow shoes,cramp on's Ice ax
    sheet of plastic , news paper
    maps and orenteering gear
    fire extinguishers
    spare clothing boots poncho, insulated jump suit,and blankets
    sleeping bag
    cigerette lighter (butane) and matches and flint and fire starter media,ie.
    cotton filled with vasoline, fire sticks , fine steel wool.
    flash lights LED type
    2 Meter amature radio KD6JLO
    small amfm radio with charging crank and light
    tow cable and or chain
    tire chains
    small air compressor and seal and air
    spare fuel for the truck and selected parts.
    This list is pretty long , but traveling the mountain roads most of my life, all this stuff has come into play, often enough.

I can not believe no body carries auto flares. A wool blanket is better in the winter because Space blanket conducts cold because of the reflected material. If your going to carry water it will freeze, if left in a vehicle. I would also have a pot, cup and a small stove. Cup of soup is a real treat when you are cold.

Because of fire danger we were not encouraged to use flares,
    wool blankets yes, space blankets no. Trash bags are for emergency coats. Frozen water is easily thawed with the stove. Desert conditions though cold, did not always have water like you would in Alaska .
    Eating snow is a big no no in a rescue atmosphere, simply because it robs one of the calories it takes to break it down,and during the time one is trying to break it down in their mouth, it is evaporating in the very dry frigid atmosphere, so you have to whip out the stove anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    It's good to see that others carry something to care for themselves and others on the road. I think every one should , even though they may not know how to use it all. First aid books are available and cheap enough to throw in provide appropreate reading material if one is stuck with nothing else to do but wait.
    From the old search and rescue days, I have learned to carry a pack in the truck at all times, inspecting the gear periodicly. Zip loc bags are good but being in the truck chaffing eventually gets to every thing ,and so can critters.
    knives and saw ,hatchet, cable saw
    first aid
    tools
    water and water filter, food(MRE's) stove and spare gas
    rope ,climbing / repelling gear
    shovels, pack shovel and snow shovel, snow shoes,cramp on's Ice ax
    sheet of plastic , news paper
    maps and orenteering gear
    fire extinguishers
    spare clothing boots poncho, insulated jump suit,and blankets
    sleeping bag
    cigerette lighter (butane) and matches and flint and fire starter media,ie.
    cotton filled with vasoline, fire sticks , fine steel wool.
    flash lights LED type
    2 Meter amature radio KD6JLO
    small amfm radio with charging crank and light
    tow cable and or chain
    tire chains
    small air compressor and seal and air
    spare fuel for the truck and selected parts.
    This list is pretty long , but traveling the mountain roads most of my life, all this stuff has come into play, often enough.