Thread: remington's alaskan wilderness rifle

Default remington's alaskan wilderness rifle

local shop has a new one i can get for $1099. its in 375 h&h. anyone own this rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    local shop has a new one i can get for $1099. its in 375 h&h. anyone own this rifle?
    For a new gun, that's a bargain. I have an 8mm mag AWR that shoots easy 1/2 inch groups with factory ammunition. Retail on a new one is around $2500. If you pass on it let me know, because I would buy it for that price.

Smile

Mine is a Rem. 700 Custom Shop KS in .375 H&H.

Got 'er the first season she came out --- cut/crowned to 22", Magna-ported and black Teflon coated it. Topped 'er off w/ a Leupold 1.5-5x in QD bases/rings.

Remington did not have the Alaska Wilderness packages available 'til some years later... I knew I was on the right track back then, and if you are looking for very weather-resistant, rugged Alaska Big-Game rifle in .375 H&H that is easily squirrel rifle precise (like 1/2moa) --- this is your rifle.

I would say my preferential nod on feel/handling goes to the Pre-64 Classic Stainless/synthetic w/ 20" BBL... however the consistent accuracy and rigid stock material quality is certainly better on the Rem. Custom Shop Gun.

Hard to argue good accuracy when a gun will put 5 shots into a thumbnail at 100 yards with the FEDERAL 300 gr. Hi-Shock factory loads. I call it the most over-kill varmint rifle in the collection. My do all .375 H&H Model 70 Classics are great to 300 yards... The Model 700 custom KS is an honest 400 yards in the field with confidence.

A good Model 70 Classic Stainless in .375 H&H went new for around what the new Ruger Alaska is gong for today. The used Model 70 Classic Stainless market has them over $1000-$1200!!! From my experiences... hard to go wrong with the Remington Model 700 in question at what seems a good ol'-school price-tag. I would just make sure that it is indeed a gun from the Remington Custom Shop at that price.

If its really a Remington Custom Shop "Alaska Wilderness Rifle" its a steal but I'd check out the back story. It's true "Custom" loses it's value faster than my 401K with Bernanke running the Fed...but at less than half of retail I'd wonder.

If its the Remington "XCR" in .375- that's not such a good deal.

i work for the shop that its coming from. its a new gun. its a alaskan wilderness rifle. $1099 seems good so im gonna throw it in layaway

Good move!

brought it home a few days ago. didnt shoot it a whole lot, but the gun feels nice and light. recoil isnt all that bad, but then again i was using mild 235gr loads. gun was $1100, brand new in box. Scope was $250. it a leupold VXIII 1.75-6.
    Attached Images Attached Images