Thread: Rubber boots in unit 23?

Default Rubber boots in unit 23?

I know I will probable need hippers of waders some of the time on my Sept 'bou hunt but what about the rest of the time? Anybody had any experience with top quality knee high rubber boots for hunting in that area?\
    Bruce

Default dry wear

Bruce, I have come to find after 5 years of slogging around up here, that I like lightweight wader/pants. Not hip boots, or chest waders, but the kind that look like pants. they have noeprene stocking feet and I use either the wading boots or a cheap set of light hikers over them. I like them because they are light, I can wear them all day, I don't pick and choose were to cross (usually), I can sit down on boggy tundra, and they double as rain pants. I picked mine up at Cabela's for 40 bucks. I haven't had to patch them in three years of use yet, but always carry an aquaseal reapair kit. It works great on the material as I had to fix my buddies once.

That said I do take my Muck knee highs for around camp. Mucks are the best knee boot I have come across yet. Only complaint is that they are sometimes to warm.

XTs rule (2nd for the breathable waders for anything to do with wading)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Damp on the inside

Wearing the waders all day don't you get rather damp on the inside?
    Are they warm enough?
    Bruce

I wore waders all day, every day and yes they did get damp with all the walking, just set by the fire that night and turn upside down when dark. The were warm enough but last year was really warm

Default Damp??

I understand the waders getting damp but hat about the rest of you. I would think you would be soaking wet from the waist down through and through after walking just a few hours in waders.
    Bruce

Default Breathable

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I understand the waders getting damp but hat about the rest of you. I would think you would be soaking wet from the waist down through and through after walking just a few hours in waders.
    Bruce
    Bruce,

The key here is breathability. I hunt all day in breathable chest waders with no problems with moisture at all. They are very light, but on the downside they are somewhat fragile and noisy in the brush. For brush busting, I just slip a pair of Helly Hansen Impertech leg-zip pants over the waders and take them off when I get where I'm going. Solves both the noise and toughness issues.

As to warmth, the nice thing about breathables is that they block the wind and you can wear whatever you like under them. In the summer I just wear shorts under mine, but in fall I go with thermals and my hunting pants. Works great.

If you go with wading shoes, you should consider gravel guards or gaiters to keep stuff out of your boots, or you'll eventually have leaks.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Boots

Bruce: Itís all about what works for your feet. I keep a pair of hip waders in my boat but I hunt in Neopream (E. Tuff) and I hunt all day long with dry and warm feet.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default Boots

XTRATUF

www.xtratufboots.com

I work and hunt is these all day and every day for work. Best waterproof boot out there. Great traction on the slippery stuff too.

Woody