Thread: Underwater/Waterproof Cases

Default Underwater/Waterproof Cases

With the future in mind, I'd like to get a waterproof housing to put my camera in for certain trips, mounted to a tripod in all types of weather. Not underwater capable, necessarily...but waterproof enough to be on the river or be left on a tripod during rainy conditions.

This would be for a Canon PowerShot IS20
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Ikelite makes a housing. It retails for around $800. I use all my stuff underwater. I'm not really familiar with others.

It may be cheaper to buy a point and shoot that's splashproof unless you want a decent pressure housing.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Yeah, Ive seen their prices and cant justify a case that costs more than the camera lol.

Ive done the pocket size POS, wanting to step up to a higher end digital without steeping into SLR. My coolpix is great for that, though.

I'm mainly looking for a still/HD camera in one that I can use on the water in all types of weather, so that means a case of some sorts.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default ikelite, or...

I'll second a punch for ikelite, but you are correct, seems like a tough pill to swallow when you're paying high premiums. I had one of their cases for my 35mm SLR, great package, reliable, and they stand behind their gear. Anywhoooo....

I just order an HD video/still cam for my son for Christmas (HD Hero Helmet, $299). Getting good reviews. Comes with a case that is supposed to handle a large amount of abuse as well as water proof to 180 feet.

http://www.goprocamera.com/products

I'll post more when the youngin throws himself down a perfectly good mountain will strapped to a waxed board.

Good luck!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I'm mainly looking for a still/HD camera in one that I can use on the water in all types of weather, so that means a case of some sorts.
    I am surprised at how hearty these little cam's are....I'm on the water or outside nearly as much as anyone and I carry the same cam in my pocket....it wouldn't survive "on a tripod in the rain" but I have yet to encounter a time when I couldn't use the camera due to the weather here in south central....I store it in my pocket and pull it out when needed, rain or shine....I have almost 11,000 pictures on my computer from the last 18 months alone...I do remember having to hover over the cam on a few occasions in heavier rain but those times have been rare for me....besides, you have a nice rotating display that will make hovering a cinch.......but last summer was so nice I can't even remember being out in the rain (except for moose season )....just your luck it'll rain all next summer and you'll toast your camera....

like you, I couldn't justify the cost of the waterproof enclosures that cost more than the camera...if you got into a habit of drenching the camera then the case makes sense....do your activities require you to leave the camera out in the weather...you mentioned leaving it on a tripod, I assume you mean to use it as a video camera when leaving it out....it is rare that I'll leave my cam just sitting on the tripod for any length of time but if its sprinkling I throw plastic ziploc on top of it until I hit the record button...typically I just use the quick release and put the cam away until needed....

I had a bad experience with a new camera sitting on a tripod...totally my fault, cheap lightweight tripod, not anchored well, got blown over on the river bank and the cam hit the ground....I thought the cam was a gone'r..it was the first day I had the cam out and I was so pissed at myself....luckily it fell into the mud and not on the rocks....an hour with a box of Q-tips and it was good as new...lol...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I agree with Phish, get a waterproof point and shoot. I have two we take on all float trips and keep in our wader pockets. The Pentax W60 is a great little camera and takes good pictures. Best of all it is 100% waterproof and can be used underwater if you want. I have seen some neat underwater fishing pictures from cameras like this. B&H Photo is a great site to buy from and if nothing else, read up on the products. Food for thought.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Ive got an Olympus Stylus 725? that's been great for shooting in/under water. I just picked up a Canon SX20IS and would love to shoot HD and not have to worry about the rain.

Smile

I'm on-water and on snow... all the the time.

The Cannon Power Shot SX 20 IS is top notch technology and really where the Photo tec. is focused at this time. I've used 2s 3s and now w/ the 20 IS... one thing for sure is to keep all of these generations of cameras as dry and warm as possible. 100% humidity, fog, mist, rain, saturation, submersion, or extended severe cold temps will take the life out of all these cameras.

The waterproof housings are really good, works of art really, but expensive... so how you justify the expense is anyone's game.

I gave up on trying to waterproof and cold-proof the Cannons --- this is not the niche tec. they are going after.

Best solution is the new Casio EXLIM or Olympus of similar shockproof/waterproof/cold resistance specs. Maybe the Zoom lens at 3x is not up to par, yet realize that these 12MP cameras are of good picture taking capability w/ the file size large enough for crop-ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    The Cannon Power Shot SX 20 IS is top notch technology and really where the Photo tec. is focused at this time. I've used 2s 3s and now w/ the 20 IS... one thing for sure is to keep all of these generations of cameras as dry and warm as possible. 100% humidity, fog, mist, rain, saturation, submersion, or extended severe cold temps will take the life out of all these cameras.
    So far I love the SX20. I'm very impressed with action shots. Reviewing pics on TV with 720p enabled is just incredible. I compared it to the SX200 initially but found it very cheap and junky feeling. The HD is awesome.

Default video...

The youngin's Christmas present was a hit, he took the camera out snowboarding the next day... he rigged it on his board until a spectacular crash, which resulted in the mount adhesive letting go...

Anyway, it is the HD Helmet Pro (you can find it at www.gopro.com).

Here's a link of the video he made (Be sure to watch it in HD - the clarity is impressive).

See ya!

Rob

TWB, Shoot me a PM and I will give you my phone number. I have a number of solutions I can share with you that I use for many of the situations that you mention. I spend lots of time in the rain and underwater and thats when I get some of my best images!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page