Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Havalon knives

  1. #1
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default Havalon knives

    Okay i ordered my Havalon ( first one ) with 100 spare blades,,, i recevde the Piranta knife with the grzz scrimshawing on the handle... I do NOT know if i am that inpressed with the PVC plastic handle...? is this common on them any issues? i do like the blades and appear to be what they said they were along with most of you all that use them.just not crazy about the handle....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  2. #2
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Okay i ordered my Havalon ( first one ) with 100 spare blades,,, i recevde the Piranta knife with the grzz scrimshawing on the handle... I do NOT know if i am that inpressed with the PVC plastic handle...? is this common on them any issues? i do like the blades and appear to be what they said they were along with most of you all that use them.just not crazy about the handle....
    Yah know, I was really excited to see the knife but after holding it in my hands, I felt the same way-expensive cheesy handle. I might order the stainless and just spray it orange
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  3. #3
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    I just bought 2 last week at Barneys Sports Chalet in Anchorage. Only place in town I could find them. Sportsmans is trying to get them but I'm not gonna hold my breath. One orange one for me and one wildlife scene for my son. I only got them because I really suck at sharpening a knife. Barneys only has 12 blade packs for 7 bucks but they are gonna try to get the 100 blade packs in so we alaskans don't get raped for shipping. Both knifes with 24 extra blades cost me 82 bucks. They seem a little chinsey but I'm gonna give them a try. I've boogered up to may knifes and have to get them professionally sharpened before hunt.

  4. #4
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I only got them because I really suck at sharpening a knife.....I've boogered up to may knifes and have to get them professionally sharpened before hunt.
    I would take a look at the Spyderco Tri-angle sharpmaker. Sticking to the 40* edge for all purposes, you absolutely cannot beat this sharpener. Comes with coarrse and fine stones, but you can buy super coarse and super fine. Sharpening wasn't my forte but the Spyderco does the trick.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  5. #5
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I would take a look at the Spyderco Tri-angle sharpmaker. Sticking to the 40* edge for all purposes, you absolutely cannot beat this sharpener. Comes with coarrse and fine stones, but you can buy super coarse and super fine. Sharpening wasn't my forte but the Spyderco does the trick.
    I will have to check them out. I've tried so many gizmos and gagets so far, I'm a little gun shy to buy another one. I will have to check them out. Thanks TWB

  6. #6
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I will have to check them out. I've tried so many gizmos and gagets so far, I'm a little gun shy to buy another one. I will have to check them out. Thanks TWB
    It's scary how sharp you can get your knives with it, but half a good edge is the steel your working with.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  7. #7
    Member 454casull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska
    Posts
    223

    Smile Havalon knives

    Hey fellas, I am sold on these knives. I bought the stainless one this summer and used it on a bear and a caribou. I never did get to a dull blade.

  8. #8
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    If you wan't a fool proof method for sharpening knives get a Lansky diamond sharpener.

    I went with the orange plastic handle Havalon because 1. it has a larger handle which fits my hand and 2. the orange stands out if you set it down.

    Brett

  9. #9
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    Hey fellas, I am sold on these knives. I bought the stainless one this summer and used it on a bear and a caribou. I never did get to a dull blade.
    it that a different handle? thanks!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  10. #10
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    it that a different handle? thanks!!!
    Yes, they have several handles, one of which bein stainless. When the time comes that's what I'll be buying

    clicky
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  11. #11
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Yes, they have several handles, one of which bein stainless. When the time comes that's what I'll be buying
    well i will be in that store soon i got mine from there sight on sale last month. i need to TOUCH IT... this one i will save for the kids. to skin rabbits with i guess. great lil blade perfect for heads and lips.. not sure i would want to skin a moose with such a little blade though..i like to GET IT done and move on to the next critter..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  12. #12
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well i will be in that store soon i got mine from there sight on sale last month. i need to TOUCH IT... this one i will save for the kids. to skin rabbits with i guess. great lil blade perfect for heads and lips.. not sure i would want to skin a moose with such a little blade though..i like to GET IT done and move on to the next critter..
    Headin to Cincinnati? You should inquire as to a group buy
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  13. #13
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Headin to Cincinnati? You should inquire as to a group buy
    lol the one in anch that sells them..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  14. #14
    Member dieNqvrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    486

    Default

    I have both the original black plastic and the stainless handles and can put both in the sheath if turned sideways along with seven or eight spare blades. I am sold on both of them even though the plastic handle seems cheap. The plastic handle is a little bigger, but no real difference while using. One problem i have encountered is the screws holding the plastic handle together has com loose, but a touch of lock tite has fixed that. I have used them on two elk, 3 deer, 2 sheep, 1 caribou, a bison and a Kodiak bear and love them. I have used them to flesh capes in the field as well as cut all available meat off skull for a european. You want a leatherman to take blades off the handle when the blade is bloody or greasy to prevent a serious cut to hand or finger. Not impossible but dangerous! Need to be careful giving to kids for that reason and so sharp. With leatherman I just push blade deep into ground and leave it to rust away to nothing. I don't go hunting without this knife in my pack!! I would carry a back up folder just in case a heavier duty knife is needed for sharpening a stick for example. I am so impressed I have given 4 away as gifts

  15. #15

    Default

    Hmm. I don't find changing blades that hard at all. Even with bloody/greasy fingers. I never once thought I needed a leatherman to get this done without cutting myself. But I am sure this would be an extra precaution worth taking if you felt at risk.

  16. #16
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default havel's

    I have used those knives since they first came out. Before that I used a plain surgical handle ... haven't sharpened a skinning knife in many years.

    I do all my skinning, boning and fleshing with it ... I use the orange one now. I also like the size of it and the fact that you can see it.

  17. #17
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    The knives are great, fleshed 4 bear with them last Spring. Really great around the knuckles and the head, eye lids were very easy and blades worked great, when they started to dull just a quick swap out.

  18. #18
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Hmm. I don't find changing blades that hard at all. Even with bloody/greasy fingers. I never once thought I needed a leatherman to get this done without cutting myself. But I am sure this would be an extra precaution worth taking if you felt at risk.
    There's a very slight difference in the female part of the blades between the 22s and 60s. Concequently some of the Havalons are made for one and some made for the other. This is why some handle/blade combos can be a little tight and some not at all.

    Brett

  19. #19
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default blades

    I have always liked the #60 blades ... but some like the #22's ...

  20. #20
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,456

    Default

    i use the 60's and 23's theres a pile of styles you can find for thsoe things.
    i have the plastic handle and love it, skinned 16 bears this year with mine as well as numerous other stuff. i don't use them on goats much, i like a little duller blade for skinning my goats. but for boning meat they are wicked nice and of course all the finish work. love them havalons, i own a couple and won't go hunting with out one. used to use teh surgical blades with the big handles from the taxidermy catalogs...no more.
    lockin' folder is slick set up.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •