Thread: Pelican deer hunting

Smile Pelican deer hunting

Can anyone tell me anything about deer hunting around Pelican this time of year? I have never been there before and I am headed there this week for work. Is there much deer, what is the access like around there, is there a lot of snow, etc.? Any info would be much appreciated.

Default North Chichagof

They closed North East Chichagof to doe because of a huge population loss durring recent winters.

Pelican is considered more Western Chichagof and is infact an inlet kinda near the middle on the north. I don't hunt that area but it's very similar habitat to what I have here on Baranof. I imagine if you sweet talk someone and throw some fuel their way a boat ride north and west would get you into some coastal regions that were spared a huge winter kill. You'll possibly need a few days with the shortness of daylight. Nothing happens quick around here.

Then again just south of town could produce for you too. There are not alot of folks in that area and there is alot of National Forest to pick from. Enough forest that the locals would have a difficult time deminishing that deer population too much.

So depending on your time and access methods I think you'll have opportunity to find yourself a nice Sitka Blacktail while in Pelican.

Smile Thanks

Thanks for that info Bighorse.