Thread: Mounting/Optics questions for a 375 H&H

Default Mounting/Optics questions for a 375 H&H

My wife has bought me a new 375 H&H for a Christmas present (really cool!), so I'm already pondering my scope set-up for it. The rifle, a Kimber Talkeetna, will be my bear & moose gun, so I've pretty much got my mind set on a Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 scope or a Zeiss 1.1-4x24 Victory Varipoint. I'm thinking the Swarovski "EE" (Extended Eye relief) version would be appropriate for a 375, but I have concerns that finding mounts that would allow for 4.72 inches of exit pupil distance may be difficult if not impossible to find. The EE version has about an inch more pupil distance than the regular Swarovski version, so my concern is getting the scope mounted far enough forward to enjoy the extra inch?

Any info from anyone with experience on a Swarovski EE scope or extended mounts would be appreciated as well thoughts on the Swarovski or Zeiss as suitable scope for the 375.

Thanks

WhiteFish

I mounted a Kahles CL 2x7x36 on my Talkeetna and have to actually lean into the scope. The Swarovski you mentioned should work just fine. I recommend Talley detachable rings and mounts. Make sure you get the extended bases because of the length of the action. I plan on swapping the scope out for a Swarovski in the near future.

I went with the Warne QD rings and mounts with my Talkeetna. I tried to put a Leupold 2.5x8 on it, but the scope wouldnt work with those rings and mounts, it wouldnt span the action length.

I ended up using a Leupold 3.5x10 with a longer tube and that worked OK. In my case I wasnt willing to give up the QD feature for the scope selection.

After reading Skilak Jims' post maybe there was another way to have both with the Talleys???

Nice gift from your wife, congratulations!

My .375H&H is a Browning A-Bolt, so my set-up is different than your Kimber. Mine is currently scoped with a Swarovski Z6 1.7x10 (an anniversary gift from my wife). It is mounted with Leupold quick release rings and bases. The distance between the rings is 5.3" (outside to outside). There is plenty of room to move the scope forward and backward. My eye relief is excellent, and I don't have to strain my neck to get the full field of view when dialed up to 10x. I also had a Kahles 3x9 on it for a short period of time.

However, all this European fancy, ultra-expensive glass aside...my first scope on that rifle for many, many years was a 2.5x8 Leupold Varix-III. It was a great scope for that rifle with plenty of eye relief. It always held zero year after year, and the glass was excellent. You will not go wrong with a Leupold Varix-III, and I would personally recommend one over it's European cousins that are 3x's more expensive.

Doc (Chuck)

P.S. Please no PM's to buy my Swarovski...it was a gift.

Whitefish,

On my Talkeetna, I installed Talley QDs with extension base but they were still too far apart for the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25X-4X ......used a 3X leupold this year until my new Accupoint 1X-4X arrives.....

If I can measure spacing for you please reply...

Another good choice may be the upcoming re-introduction of the Leupold 3x.....My favorite scope for Alaska.....very durable and long enough to fit any rifle.....check out the optics forum on 24 hour campfire for details ....

It really boils down to a matter of personal choice as there is no wrong scope. However in my opinion scopes with more "power" than a 3x9 are simply not needed on rifles this large. My 375 Ruger carries a 2.5x8 Leupold and my 375 Wby carries a 2.5x8 Zeiss in QD rings. The 375's have the ability to make some long shots if required to. I believe the 270 grain bullets have the same trajectory as the 180's out of the 30-06.
    Tennessee

Congrats on the great Christmas present! I expect you'll get a few PMs asking if your wife has a single sister

If I were in your position, I'd go with the 1x-6x Swaro. My reasons don't have much to do with the mounting length (there are enough ring/base combos to make it work), the quality of glass (superb, but so are many others at greater or lesser prices), or the extended eye relief (nice, but not really necessary on a properly fitting .375 H&H).

My reason for recommending this scope is primarily on the ability to snap shoot with both eyes open if necessary. My .375 currently wears a 40mm Aimpoint, and I've had no problems making pretty groups at 100yds, and I can put the entire mag into a pie plate offhand at 140yds. It also gives me the ability to leave both eyes open and shoot like a quick-pointing shotgun when I'm busting heavy cover and a critter jumps up in front of me. I can't do that with anything other than a 1x magnification because the distortion between the images in my left and right eye cause me all sorts of grief. In your case, a 1x-6x is ideal because you get the quick point shooting when necessary, and if you're presented with a longer shot that gives you time to set up, you can crank the magnification up as appropriate and be a little more precise at longer ranges.

A side benefit is that it negates the requirement for QD rings. If the scope breaks, you can still take it off and use irons, but there's no need to use irons because the scope provides the same benefits (quick alignment, better spatial perception), while making your shooting easier because there's only one focal image instead of three.

Default A Wealth of Knowledge

Wow! You gents have a wealth of knowledge, and I appreciate your responses...certainly a lot of great information to factor in to the decision.

Diesel Nut: I'm very impressed with your line of thinking regarding the 1x magnification.

Based on Diesel Nut's rationale the Swarovski is my leading product; however, my decision won't be made until Dec 25th (when I take possession of the Talkeetna). So please keep the recommendations, thoughts, and technical info coming.

Many Thanks
    WhiteFish

That's a great scope! I'd stick with it in a heart beat. I'm sure you can make the mounts work. The eye relief is impressive, the glass is impressive, and the field of view is much better than most including Leupold. For a .375 that's pretty hard to beat!

Brett

Default Talkeetna and Talleys

Congrats on the Talkeetna from your wife!! I took possession of mine last week and had the Talley QD setup waiting. I put a 1.5-5x20 Leupy on it. The front ring is about 1/4" behind the gold ring. If I would have gotten extended bases, I don't think this scope would fit. I've got some 250gr. Partitions and some 260gr. Horndady Interlocks loaded with 66.o grs. Varget for tomorrows first range session lit by CCI 250's. There are no Fed 215's to be had locally yet.
    I'm very interested in trying the setup.

With the Talley extended base, the ring spacing is less as compared to the standard bases.

Default Please Clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Skilak Jim View Post
    With the Talley extended base, the ring spacing is less as compared to the standard bases.
    Skilak Jim;

So which base set, regular or extended, would allow the scope to be mounted as far forward (towards the muzzle) as possible?

Thanks, this is extremely helpful information.

WhiteFish

WhiteFish,
    The extended bases are the most versatile. The front base of the extended set can be reversed to move the front ring more forward if this makes sense. I have a set of the standard bases as well as a set of the extended bases and the extended bases work the best on the Talkeetna. If you want to pm me with your email address, I can send you a picture of both bases side by side so you can see the differences.
    Jim

Default PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by Skilak Jim View Post
    WhiteFish,
    The extended bases are the most versatile. The front base of the extended set can be reversed to move the front ring more forward if this makes sense. I have a set of the standard bases as well as a set of the extended bases and the extended bases work the best on the Talkeetna. If you want to pm me with your email address, I can send you a picture of both bases side by side so you can see the differences.
    Jim
    Thanks again

WhiteFish

Default How did your Talkeetna shoot go?

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Congrats on the Talkeetna from your wife!! I took possession of mine last week and had the Talley QD setup waiting. I put a 1.5-5x20 Leupy on it. The front ring is about 1/4" behind the gold ring. If I would have gotten extended bases, I don't think this scope would fit. I've got some 250gr. Partitions and some 260gr. Horndady Interlocks loaded with 66.o grs. Varget for tomorrows first range session lit by CCI 250's. There are no Fed 215's to be had locally yet.
    I'm very interested in trying the setup.
    Knikglacier;

I've been waiting for your range report regarding your first range effort with your Talkeetna! I thought about PMing you, but thought that others on here would be interested in your shoot as well. Since I haven't yet gained possession of my Talkeetna (I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas) I'm looking at various rounds for my Talkeetna...which is why I'm hoping you'll post your range results.

Thanks
    WhiteFish