Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer question

Question Deer question

Got another question for my Alaskan pals. As some of you know I haven't made it up yet but we're on the downhill slide. But anyway, I do know that Alaska doesn't have deer everywhere like we have the whitetail down here. I was curious where the deer are located up there and the different types. I've heard of the sitka and kodiak(?). Are they only in Sitka and Kodiak or....?? Just curious. I couldn't see moving where I couldn't arrow a deer or two at least a year without having to travel or pay out the wahoo for someone to take me. Thanks again guys.

I'm moving to Fairbanks and have been curious if there are any deer in that area?

Default Coastal areas

All the islands of SE, Coastal areas of South central, PWS, Lynn Canal, Mainland coastal area of the panhandle.

You hear rumors of other areas too but that seems to be the main concentration.

In other words.... people don't hunt deer in the interior of AK.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBound2010 View Post
    Got another question for my Alaskan pals. As some of you know I haven't made it up yet but we're on the downhill slide. But anyway, I do know that Alaska doesn't have deer everywhere like we have the whitetail down here. I was curious where the deer are located up there and the different types. I've heard of the sitka and kodiak(?). Are they only in Sitka and Kodiak or....?? Just curious. I couldn't see moving where I couldn't arrow a deer or two at least a year without having to travel or pay out the wahoo for someone to take me. Thanks again guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    I'm moving to Fairbanks and have been curious if there are any deer in that area?

Well if you are heading to fairbanks might as well forget about hunting Deer a mile from the house those days are gone, same goes for those of us stationed at Ft Richardson... If you want to go Deer Hunting you will have to head down south to the Islands.. Better get used to hunting caribou, just think of them as really big whitetails with really messed up horns LOL... Alomst forgot they are Sitka Blacktail, I would probably benefit you if you guys downloaded the Hunting regs now because it will take you that long to figure it out... I know it took me awhile to figure it out... It is not like other regulations you get from other states... As far as cost to go hunting deer well if you fly form fairbanks to Kodiak then you go from thier... Their are several ways to do it but it is going to cost some money so in the end you are better off running up to the Haul Road and go caribou hunting..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well if you are heading to fairbanks might as well forget about hunting Deer a mile from the house those days are gone, same goes for those of us stationed at Ft Richardson... If you want to go Deer Hunting you will have to head down south to the Islands.. Better get used to hunting caribou, just think of them as really big whitetails with really messed up horns LOL... Alomst forgot they are Sitka Blacktail, I would probably benefit you if you guys downloaded the Hunting regs now because it will take you that long to figure it out... I know it took me awhile to figure it out... It is not like other regulations you get from other states... As far as cost to go hunting deer well if you fly form fairbanks to Kodiak then you go from thier... Their are several ways to do it but it is going to cost some money so in the end you are better off running up to the Haul Road and go caribou hunting..
    Or move to the islands??? Or at least get close with the peninsula??? I just know it will be something I will miss.

Moving to Anchorage doesn't save much more money, I have pretty much accepted any type of hunting you do in Alasak is going to cost some deniro...

Default Deer country

I moved up from deer country and you are right you will miss it for a while. The hunting is different up here and as already said, compared to driving out to the back 40 to hunt whitetails it is expensive. But after a couple years you will get used to the extra cost and learn to just save more so you can fly to the islands to deer hunt if you like, or drive the Haul rd for caribou, or fly out for moose, you get the drift. Or you could just do like you said and move to the islands if you really want to concentrate on deer.

When you get here I suggest making some friends and learning to take whatever oportunities you can get for a while, whether they be to go hunt moose or bears or caribou or foxes or whatever, just get out there and have fun.

[QUOTE=The Kid;627761]I moved up from deer country and you are right you will miss it for a while.

How long is a while? I've been in Alaska permenantly now for 11 years and I have to sneak down to Northern Maine and get my "fix" of whitetail hunting every other year. I love alaska but my favorite hunting will always be whitetail hunting, especially with a bow. Is there a pill I can take to make this desire go away?

If you find this 'pill' let me know so I can start taking it now. I got a brother in Oregon. Guess I could always go there. They have deer I imagine.

As you have already read, the hunting in Alaska is very different than anywhere in the lower 48. You will not hunt nearly as much as you used to mainly because of the cost. When you move here the days of going out hunting in the woods behind the house for a couple of hours is gone. For the most part it takes a lot of planning to do a hunt here in Alaska. The unprepared will have a miserable hunt. I found out this year that even when you think you have everything worked out and ready, things will still go wrong.

I can't believe what I'm reading! No we don't have deer in the interior, white tail hunting is for getting you out of all the "family BS" when you have to go to the lower 48 and do "family BS." Deer hunting is only expensive if you don't know anyone with a boat and frankly not where it's at here in Alaska anyway. Bear, moose, caribou, goat and Dall sheep are totally different hunting and it will take you years to learn!

So far I've spent less than $500 a year on hunting and I hunt 3 times as much as I did back in Michigan! It just takes a little more work up here, your not going to trip over game every trip into the woods but if you do your homework and are willing to walk a little you'll do well.

Caribou hunting is totally different than white tail, the only thing they have in common is they eat vegetable mater and a deer would starve on a caribou's diet at that.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBound2010 View Post
    Or move to the islands??? Or at least get close with the peninsula??? I just know it will be something I will miss.
    OH BROTHER!!!Deer hunting will NOT be the first thing you miss.....remember those hot days?..........short shorts....tank tops................lace???......better bring photo's
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

I've found hunting in Alaksa is better defined as an Expedition. The differeence is in the level and amount of detailed planning before, druing and even after the hunt itself.

As others have stated you won't just grab the shotgun and go for a couple hours before or after work.

Exactly why can't you just grab a shotgun and go before or after work? I do on a regular basis, it would be even easier to get out if I lived further north. The vast majority of folks harvesting game here are doing it for there families on weekend/after work hunts! Do you really think only those with money can hunt up here? Then you need to meet some of the folks I hunt with! None of them can afford a fly out! None! Here is a unique idea learn to hunt in Alaska before calling it a rich mans game. Actually put in some time instead of buying experience.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Rick,

From where I live on Ft Richardson, no I can't just grab a shotgun or rifle and go before of after work. Weekends, yes we have access to good places from the Anchorage area on the weekend. If I lived out towards Plamer, yes possibly I could hunt before and after work. I was speaking from my perspective of where I live. I envy those of you that live farther out and have the liberty to walk out the back door.

I didn't call hunting in Alaska a rich man's game, not my words. But, depending on where you live and what and where you want to hunt, many of the places to hunt does require more money to access than others. Whether it is money in gas for your vehicle, air taxifare, boat rental or gas, ect.

If you want to hunt caribou, blacktail, or musk ox as a minimum you're not going to hunt them before or after work in the Anchorage area. To hunt these animals from Anchorage, yes, it will cost you more. You must research where they are, when and how to hunt them and plan into your budget how you're going to access them. Sure, if one has a boat, they can run down Seward Highway, through the tunnel and out into the sound after blacktail. But for that to be worth the time and effort, to me anyhow, it would be a weekend hunt, not something I'd do before or after work.

The OP stated "I couldn't see moving where I couldn't arrow a deer or two at least a year without having to travel or pay out the wahoo for someone to take me."

My statement was in relation to this comment. In the Anchorage area, unless you have access to your own boat, your unlikely to arrow a deer or two a year without traveling or paying someone to take you. The deer are in the PWS area and access to them is limited unless you pay to get there. If I'm wrong let me know, I must be doing it wrong.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    OH BROTHER!!!Deer hunting will NOT be the first thing you miss.....remember those hot days?..........short shorts....tank tops................lace???......better bring photo's

Lace? Ummmmm....Vince I aint never been much on lace myself. And I definately won't miss these hot days. Dec 8 today and yesterday high was like 55ish. It's miserable. Soon enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Exactly why can't you just grab a shotgun and go before or after work? I do on a regular basis, it would be even easier to get out if I lived further north. The vast majority of folks harvesting game here are doing it for there families on weekend/after work hunts! Do you really think only those with money can hunt up here? Then you need to meet some of the folks I hunt with! None of them can afford a fly out! None! Here is a unique idea learn to hunt in Alaska before calling it a rich mans game. Actually put in some time instead of buying experience.
    Thanks Rick. It just seems all I've been hearing since I started planning a move up is the cost of hunting. But I'm, glad to hear that it's not always the case.

I can't believe what I'm reading! No we don't have deer in the interior, white tail hunting is for getting you out of all the "family BS" when you have to go to the lower 48 and do "family BS." Deer hunting is only expensive if you don't know anyone with a boat and frankly not where it's at here in Alaska anyway. Bear, moose, caribou, goat and Dall sheep are totally different hunting and it will take you years to learn!

So far I've spent less than $500 a year on hunting and I hunt 3 times as much as I did back in Michigan! It just takes a little more work up here, your not going to trip over game every trip into the woods but if you do your homework and are willing to walk a little you'll do well.

Caribou hunting is totally different than white tail, the only thing they have in common is they eat vegetable mater and a deer would starve on a caribou's diet at that.

Ok Ok you got me here. That is a good excuse at thanksgiving or christmas when I would probably be going back to NC to slip out. Good thinking Rick. See why I ask you guys these things.

Well not going to get into a pissing match with you... You are right Caribou is different than whitetail hunting I guess it takes more skill to kill a whitetail deer LOL also you HAVE the luxory of living in Palmer, not me so I cannot just go grab shotgun and shoot small game... I was drawn for a Afognak elk tag talking about a minimum of $2,500 for that trip... I applaud you if you can spend less than 500 dollars for whatever hunts you are doing... All that tells me you are not driving up north to 20D or whatever you are sticking pretty close to unit 14 and 13... Also if you can do that on a haul road hunt for Caribou as well, Have some freinds that did that two months back they put over 1800 miles on the truck and spent over 600 on gas alone... So I guess 300 apiece, So you do have to have some money to hunt in Alaska and so I guess when you are planning your hunts you have to factor money in as well... Also factor in if you buy your own boat as well... So hunting in Alaska does get expensive real quick when you start buying your own stuff to avoid paying someone else to take you somewhere...

Ralph

Ft Rich has hunting on it's land! There is a whole thread aboput drawing hunts on that land and from what I understand military folks don't need to hit a draw.

Yup white tail are alot harder to kill. Have diferent herd dinamics and live in a totaly diferent habitat. Spending a ton on a drawing hunt for once in a lifetime critters is hardly day to day hunting, yes drawing hunts can get very expensive!

All Anchoragites
    Learn to shoot a bow and all of chugach state park is open! That puts one of the least pressured spots in all of road alaska just up the hill from you. A little thinking outside the box, resurch and work would save you guys money and time.
    BHA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast