Thread: Boat Insulation Options

Default Boat Insulation Options

I have a custom built aluminum hard top and would like to insulate the cabin/cuddy area with blue board. Probably 1 inch. Any body got any ideas on what kind of adhesive will bond extruded polystyrene to aluminum? I bought some really expensive 3M spay adhesive but am afraid to use with the list of chemicals on the label. I suspect it will dissolve the foam. I also want an adhesive that will bond some marine carpet to the foam later on when I finish installing all the LED cabin lights in the ceiling.
    Last edited by Heavyex; 12-06-2009 at 08:54. Reason: " symbol turned into quot

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Boat Insulation Options

I used 4 layers of aluminum covered bubble wrap and aluminum tape you can get at Lowes, easy and clean to put in and I can take it out if I need to. Really helped hold the heat in.

years ago i used liquid nails or similar product worked great. BUT friend i sold boat to cussed me badly when he wanted to make modifications, does not come of easily.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Try spraying a little of the glue on a small peice of the foam and see if it dissolves it.
    I believe you can buy glue at Lowes or Home Depot that is specifically formulated for foam.

Quote Originally Posted by ACBMAN View Post
    I used 4 layers of aluminum covered bubble wrap and aluminum tape you can get at Lowes, easy and clean to put in and I can take it out if I need to. Really helped hold the heat in.
    Did you put any carpet or fiber board over that? This does sound a little less expensive.

Post alum bubble wrap(re-flex tex)

1.1 r- value...as it sits in pkg..it needs dead air space to get the r-value it states on pkg.....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

My boat came with carpeted pieces of thin board from the factory with a 2 inch air space below the roof.

Default thanks

appreciate the advice.

You might want to check out Delta T Marine Insulating Coating:

http://www.mascoat.com/marine.php

It’s a spray-on latex based product that seems to hold up well. I’ve been considering applying it in my v-birth but just haven’t taking the plunge. A lot of C-dory owners have used it with great results, pretty amazing stuff.

Here’s a link to a thread on the subject:
    http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=1629
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Spray foam

Try spray foam to glue down the blue board. I have used spray foam to glue underneath my toy hauler 3 years ago and it still holds up very good even though foam it self is exposed to all the water and ice from the road.

First I would install a layer of the aluminum foil bubble insulation. I just installed it in my boat this week by painting "super tack 750" directly on the foil and spraying the edges and corners on the boat with 3m Super 77 spray adhesive. Cutting the strips of insulation to size was the most time consuming part, but it's an easy do it yourself job. Like was mentioned by another poster, Delta-T or a coat of Sounddown would be the best base to start with, but that becomes a pretty involved job. The bubble foil will really cut down on condensation and is the first layer in most of the better made aluminum boats.

Bob

Where is a good place to purchase aluminum foil bubble insulation?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Skip trying to glue foam down... look up home builders in the yellowpages and have your boat professionally spary foamed. They come to your boat spray it and leave in 1/2 a day.

Sobie2

Default Spray foam

I went on a tour of the eaglecraft boat shop in Campbell River BC and that's what they do to their cuddy cabins on some models. Then that have someone grind it all nice and flat and glue on carpet. It looked very well done and I would think that it would really help hold the heat in and perhaps cut down on noise aswell.

P.S. They had the mother of all vaccum cleaners running when they were grinding the spray foam.