Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut rod?

Default Halibut rod?

Okay, we've heard somewhat about halibut reels so in addition, what do you guys like for halibut rods? Since the trend seems to be to go smaller/lighter on reels, what rods do you guys prefer to go with those? Haven't had much experience with the new, light jigging rods but I've used and like the Shimano Trevala.

Jim

I have had an Okuma rod (bought at BJ's) for a couple of years now. Like the action, price, and weight, but with these new light-weight rods (on this one at least), you have to be care about how hight you raise the rod when you have a fish on. Raise it too much and it will snap. They have a lifetime warranty, but that's not much good when you're 70 miles out and you didn't bring a spare. On the other hand, I brought in a 135-lb halibut with that same rod and it worked fine. I just didn't raise the rod too much on the upstroke.

When I have relatives or friends use my gear, I give them the old pool cues.

I've got a few lamiglas stout halibut rods I picked up at the sportsmans show 6-7 years ago that are great, but I bought 3 Okuma Cedros Speed Jig Rods last year, gave one away as a gift so the wife and I each have one, and they are the cats meow. Got them at B&J's last Christmas. Super light, sensitive, strong and look like a million bucks.

http://www.okumafishing.com/family/3...dros_Speed_Jig
    Last edited by chico99645; 12-06-2009 at 10:37. Reason: spelling

My favorite for the $$$...

Okuma Cedros

They work on 200+ pound fish fine and are very light with just the right action on the tip and can be fished with up to 150lb. braid without issue. Haven`t seen a broken one yet.

Personally i think an Ugly stick is a great Halibut rod. There are better out there for sure but for the money they are a great value. I used an Ugly Stik last summer in CI and never caught any barn doors but i know the Ugly Stik would have been up to the job. Again there are better rods out there with out a doubt but not in the same price range. it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Why not build a rod and then you know what you have. I bought a rod from lamiglas a Salmon rod the heaviest they make for salmon. Works super. 14 ounces is about the max you want to put onit but i use jigs mostly and sensitive whoa man better than a broom stick. I took a class they had offered at 3-rivers in wasilla the whole sha-bang cost around 250 but I made the rod. fun.

Default Hmmm...

Have to look at the Okuma closely. No votes for the Trevala? I guess I should've mentioned that I'd like the rod to do double duty as in both bait & jigging situations.
    I've used and have some of the old stand-by's such as a Penn Tuna Stick, Slammer, and Fenwicks but with the lightweight reels and braided line, looking for a sensitive, light rod. May just wait till I'm up there and take a trip to BJ's and buy over the counter; helps handling & seeing the stuff.

What reels do you guys pair with the Okuma rods? Wanna stay reasonably priced (as in like the Fin-Nor levelwinds or similar).

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Have to look at the Okuma closely. No votes for the Trevala? I guess I should've mentioned that I'd like the rod to do double duty as in both bait & jigging situations.
    I've used and have some of the old stand-by's such as a Penn Tuna Stick, Slammer, and Fenwicks but with the lightweight reels and braided line, looking for a sensitive, light rod. May just wait till I'm up there and take a trip to BJ's and buy over the counter; helps handling & seeing the stuff.

What reels do you guys pair with the Okuma rods? Wanna stay reasonably priced (as in like the Fin-Nor levelwinds or similar).

Thanks,
    Jim

Yep, hit B&Js and hang Fonz off the end of the Cedros rod (65-150) and you`ll be sold. Works great for jigging and bait...we even used it as a spare for trolling when the silvers were breaking rods last year. The guy using it said he liked the action better than any rod he`d ever used.

Mine is paired with a Fin Nor and couldn`t be happier...I have others and never pick them up anymore.

Default rods

Over the years I have had a lot of problems with breakage of rods on my charter boat. About 3 years ago I purchased 8 rods from Sea Striker that where rated at 130 pounds and have not broken 1 since. The rods are extra heavy duty and can handle any thing that is out there. I also have 2 of the 30-80 pound class Strikers model ssu3080c-6 these two poles have been outstanding. They are a lighter line class but they can handle 150 pound line with easy. The light rods give your bait alot better action. Last September we had 4 of the heavier rods verse 1 light and the light rod caught 17 of the 18 halibut we hooked that day.

I've been running a pair of seeker blue lighting inshore rods, and so far they've worked well for jigging buts, rockfish and lings.

There are alot of jigging rods on the market, more good ones that bad ones. I'm thinking about getting a jigging master 250 gr rod to try next season.

[QUOTE=Big Jim;628102]Have to look at the Okuma closely.

I have an AVET HXJ 5/2 on my Okuma Jigging Rod and my wife has an electric Diawa Seaborg 500. Both are really light rigs compared to my lamiglas/Penn combos

Before the purists hammer me for an electric reel. My wife has a medical condition and this allows her to enjoy halibut/lingcod fishing.

I bought two of the Trevalas last year just before Christmas, nice 20% discount. Love them. They have older Avet LX reels, with 50-65 lb PowerPro. Very compact rods! My personal favorite, though, is a Daiwa Interline (the 7-1/2' model) with an LX 6.0, same line. I like the soft tip, light weight, better leverage. I think the Interline, Trevala, or the Okuma would be a great way to go!

I have a 6' Brute by Abu Garcia and I love it. It was given to me as a gift, and I caught a very nice halibut the first time I used it. (80#) We put 80# Power pro on there and it works just fine.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Not much choice around here for the rods we're talking about so I went on to Cabela's and it seems they don't carry the Okuma Cedros; prolly wait for BJ's!
    I did see tho they have their Salt Striker jigging rods on sale for 49.00; anyone have experience with these?
    Jim

We have 2 of the little Whopper Stopper rods we picked up at the outdoor show. Only 4' long, paired with Abu Garcia 7000 reels and 65 lb PowerPro line. Used for 4 seasons now, caught lots of smaller halibut and several up to about 100 lbs. No problems at all - very light, easy to store, easy to handle.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Whopper Stoppers are cool, and different, but be careful jigging with them. I had one flip out of my hands twice while setting the hook. Second time, well, glug-glug-glug. Insurance covered it, but not my embarrassment. Now I have another but use bait only with that one!

Default so many...

Lots of rods work well for jigging. I have a couple of the 5'6" Daiwa Interlines and the 5'8" Shimano Trevelas, I think there the heavy duty ones for that series. They jig just fine. My personal favorite is the 6' G Loomis Bucara rod with an Avet MXJ 2 speed and 50 lb. spectra. Its not a tide ripping Cook Inlet halibut rod but it does ok out of Seward. My son-in-law has a couple of the 6' G Loomis Muskie rods with medium sized Tekota reels. They can handle a pretty good tug of war with the halibut. I think a rod with a sensitive tip in the 6' to 7' length rated for at least 40 lb. test will catch some big fish. Fishing a light weight jigging set up beats soaking bait any day.

the seeker capt John Grabowski jig sticks are great. We caught a lot of big halibut on them this year and they double as a perfect rod for ling jigging. Match those with your preference of avet reels and you will have yourself and unbeatable combo setup

Daniel

Here's one I put together this spring while I was laid up.

7' Fenwick Fenglass blank (don't know the line rating.) ABU 9000 reel w/80# PowerPro and 80# backing underneath.

Great jigging rod. Probably not the best for 200# barndoors, but that's not typically what I'm after.

Certainly don't need that much line, but I think a 7000 series is a bit small for a dedicated butt rod. I've certainly caught some toads with a 7000 and 30# mono though.

Very nice set-up LG!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast