Thread: Powder regulations

Default Powder regulations

Does anybody know if there is any regulations about powder storage in the home? Can you buy and store all you want for private reloading in your home or is there restrictions on amount or how and where it is stored? Anyone have any information?

I used to have a link to the federal fire laws about this but have not been able to find it since my computer crashed last winter. The smokeless limit in a single family residence is 50lbs stored in a wood locker with 2 inch thick wood, but that’s all I remember from it. It had great detail on the locker and I wish I could find it again.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I would like to know the rules, but if it is close to 50 lbs. I do not have no where near that.

Yes it's 50lbs . . . 50lbs or less of smokeless gunpowder in bulk I believe was the wording, so whatís loaded in your ammo don't count anymore. Black powder was less, maybe 10lbs, but since I use Pyrodex and never use black I did not commit that to memory. I have been over that a time or two when I was loading for everyone and their brothers but now I hover around half that usually. I built my wood box of 3 layers of ĺĒ plywood big enough to hold 50lbs just in case . . . the only reason I bothered to build the box is so if the house burns the insurance wonít have an out for improper storage.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Interesting comments about 50 pounds as I never heard there was a limit before. Stores have literally 100's of pounds on the shelves and appartently they are not breaking any rules
    Tennessee

There is some good information on powder storage on the Alliant Powder web site.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting....aspx#consider

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Interesting comments about 50 pounds as I never heard there was a limit before. Stores have literally 100's of pounds on the shelves and appartently they are not breaking any rules
    All fire codes are based on the type of occupancy use for the structure in question. The 50lbs is for a single family residence, businesses, warehouses, and apartments will have different guidelines. Also I would guess some towns, boroughs, or counties may have more restrictive fire codes regarding powder storage. In that same link were instructions on bunker construction for larger amounts of powder so if it somehow got hot enough in a fire to explode instead of just burn the blast would be directed upwards rather than outward. That link was very informative and good food for thought and I sure wish I could find it again.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

HEY !!!!! AND THEN .......there are area's with absolutly NO fire service.... no problem at all....no warrenty needed... no one will show.. well............ If it is summer the foresty will show to make sure the trees do not catch fire.. but your house will burn....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If memory serves (and mine ain't the greatest) we are also not to store over 10,000 primers in some kind of box as well. I'm pretty sure it was 10,000 but I could be wrong.

Default Nanny

Boy this drives me nuts, What National, or Federal fire laws? OK there are laws on shipping and transporting. National Fire Protection Association has a publication with suggested standards for the manufacture, transportation, storage and use of explosive materials. Nanny governments State , County , City can make ordinances, regulations, zoning to implement some of these standards. Smokeless powders for the most part burn, they donít explode unless they are confined and the gases can not vent. Your home prolly has more danger from stored gasoline, propane, paint ect than any powder. Common sense folks. Lock the door to the room where the powder is stored, donít lock it in a small case cabinet with a hasp and a lock. FWIW 1 inch wood walls for up to 50 lbs of smokeless powder stored in their original container. You donít even want to know about storage of powder in commercial establishments. What you see here stays here. OK Now where do I go to register

There is a national fire code (not law) that has storage methods and amounts recommendation. Some States and Municpalities have regulations and laws.
    the powder manufacturers alos can direct you.

So how many of you out there are going to inform the authorities of the quantities of powder or primers you have?

I can see it now, "Uh oh! I have 49 lbs of H414 and I need 2 lbs of 2400. I guess I better not buy it because I'll have to report myself".

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    So how many of you out there are going to inform the authorities of the quantities of powder or primers you have?

I can see it now, "Uh oh! I have 49 lbs of H414 and I need 2 lbs of 2400. I guess I better not buy it because I'll have to report myself".
    ohhh you know!!! I,!!!! am all over that one....[insert non working eye roll here}
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm going to buy what I want and when I want. I'm sure not going to worry if I have too much. If someone is worried about this now, wait till gun registration comes along.

I did a little bit of google foo, and found this on Accurate powders webite:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/nfpa.htm

It's a reprint of relavent sections of NFPA 495.

NFPA codes are are not law, unless a state chooses to adopt the codes and enforce them as law. The state of Alaska under statute 18.70.080 requires the Department of Public Safety to adopt rules and regulations for the protection of life and property. More specifically 13AAC50 is the Fire and Life Safety Regulations which spell out which NFPA codes are adopted. http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac.htm

And it's going to take me some time to go through the AAC and IFC to see if the state has adopted NFPA 495.

IMHO it is more important how and where someone stores their powder, then how much they store.

Other concerns would be if you have fire insurance on your house, what are the restrictions and limitations. If you are storing in excess of whatever restrictions are on your policy, and your house go ups, they could refuse to cover your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    There is a national fire code (not law) that has storage methods and amounts recommendation. Some States and Municpalities have regulations and laws.
    the powder manufacturers alos can direct you.
    Unified Fire Code is codified in all 50 states just as the Unified Building Cade is so yes it is law, stupid law but law nun the less. Unless a state says something in the code is amended for use in that state every word in the code book counts and when the coed is updated yearly it also counts without any further action from the state since they adopted the code as a hole.

No one is going to inspect your powder storage in Alaska any more than they will come and see if your Christmas lights extinction cord meets code but when your house burns down and the insurance adjuster is looking to save paying out . . . look out as you could be in a huge mess! When my house in Arizona burned the insurance found an aluminum wire hooked to a copper only rated outlet about 10í from the fireís origin and tied up the payout for almost a year. I was lucky my reloading stuff was in a room that did not burn but when he took all the pictures of my supplies I got to thinking about this stuff.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona