Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 versus the .22

Default .17 versus the .22

As an "old timer", I've never heard much about a .17 caliber til lately. I've always relied on the .22 for any small game. Nowadays, I keep hearing everyone talking about the .17. If memory serves, when I used to hear about the .17 caliber, they were talking about a pellet gun for kids. Maybe that was the .177, though.

Apparently, that is not the case now.

Is this .17 I keep hearing about now a better small game gun than the .22? I like the .22. Is the .17 that much better? I wouldn't think so. Is it just the newest fad?

Something must have changed.

Also, I'm working for the next couple of days, so please excuse any late replies to this from me.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf View Post
    As an "old timer", I've never heard much about a .17 caliber til lately. I've always relied on the .22 for any small game. Nowadays, I keep hearing everyone talking about the .17. If memory serves, when I used to hear about the .17 caliber, they were talking about a pellet gun for kids. Maybe that was the .177, though.

Is this .17 I keep hearing about now a better small game gun than the .22? I like the .22. Is the .17 that much better? I wouldn't think so. Is it just the newest fad?

Also, I'm working for the next couple of days, so please excuse any late replies to this from me.

Thanks.

The .17 is supposed to be a flatter shooting gun when shooting distance, also a little more punch for coyote's and that sorta thing,..I guess you could say its the new in for varmint hunting.....22 is cheaper ammo so i prefer it..

Rick, the 17 is deffinitely not a fad. It's going to be around for a long while. There are actually two new .17 cal. rimfires. The .17 HM2 (Hornady Mach 2) is a 22 LR cartridge necked down to .17 caliber, and the more popular .17 HMR (Hornady magnum rimfire) is the .22 mag with the same neck down treatment.

They are both capably of longer range shots than their counterparts and with the fragmenting bullets they are devastating on varmints. I've read reviews which claim the .17 HMR is the most accurate rimfire cartridge ever produced. The lightweight bullets tend to be more susceptable to wind drift though. (17-20 grains)

I don't think they will ever replace the venerable .22 LR, but they're a good option for someone who wants a varmint gun that can reach out to 150 yards and beyond.

I have had a Marlin 917 VS in .17 HMR and it could drive holes through the center of tacks all day long, unless there was a stout breeze. I'm buying a Henry golden boy in .17 HMR for my wife. It's a fun cartridge!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default .17

i'm an old timer too , loved the 22 sense I was a kid, I have been waiting for the 17 a long time ,and now have a remington 17. Next to the 223 I have never seen a more accurate and flat shooting wepon.
    Ever shoot a cement block with a .22 ? it splats on the serface, not the .17, it punches holes in it. Now I'm no pro like the volume of men here hunting the big game . and I have read where guys have been using a .22 to bring down bears, which to me is fool hardy, but be that as it may, the .17 except for the price of the amo , makes the .22 the dinasoar.
    For just plane plinking and target shooting I use a pellet Gun. Each weapon has a different charrictoristic,308,44mag, 762,and so on, and knowing that difference, the pellet gun keeps sharp the other factor,, quick response and accuricy. And you can shoot all day for a couple of bucks ,and no one hears it.
    Fact is , if you really enjoy hunting and shooting , get into airsoft . It's like paint ball, but no paint. Some of you are going to po po this and you think of your self as the great white hunter.Do air soft combat with some friends and discover how vulnerable you really are, it will sharpen your hunting skills I guarentee you .They make every kind of gun in air soft, combat weapons to sniper rifles, to shot guns and some very nice pistols as well . powered with gas or pump or electric. the plastic 6mm BBs are biodegradable and cheap. If you think you are really that good a hunter, others would do well to see you in action. My toughest opponents were retired military,certainly the sharpest tool in the shed.
    sorry I got off track ,, but it's fun !

Arleigh, are you talking about the 17 Rem centerfire or just a 17 hmr that is made by Rem? Kinda confused here

Talking 17 hmr.

Hello everybody, I personally have two .17 hmr's and love them both. Single shot and bolt action. I used to use the 22 but no longer after i had both of them out hunting and was going to make a long shot. The .17 is a very accurate rifle but also has its down fall. the wind is its biggest enemy. There are really three different types of .17's that i know about; 17 hmr, 17 mach2, 17 remington fireball. the round of the 17hmr is as far as i know from research when upon impact goes into a million peices tairing up everything, unlike the 22 staying together. i havent had the chance to shoot anything big with it yet but small game never stood a chance. i have taken tarmagian at over 100 yards and rabbits. i like taking the long shots. all have been head shots and deadly. there are reviews and vidoe clips out there on the interent of the efects of the .17hmr . here is a web site of one of the reviews www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_varmint_rifles.htm .

but to some it all up i really enjoy the 17 and i dont think i will be going back to the .22 any time soon. if you end up getting one i hope that you enjoy it. if i was home i would let you borrow it at the range and shoot a few boxs threw it to see what ya like.

I have a .17 Mach 2 (and a .22 of course). My .17 is a fast, accurate and powerful lil sucker. Very fun lil round to shoot. It's kinda like a .22 on steroids! tee hee
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

I have never, and I mean never pulled the trigger on any 22LR and had anywhere near the @#$% eating grin I had the first time I felt the accutrigger in my 17HMR break cleanly and watched a coke bottle disintegrate!

It is the 17HMR ,the 22 full length mag necked down to 17 .
    and the gun I have is the remington.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    It is the 17HMR ,the 22 full length mag necked down to 17 .
    and the gun I have is the remington.
    Curious, what model Remington?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf View Post

Thanks.
    Rick
    I've owned both. Like said before...the 17 hmr is a 22 magnum necked down to accept a 17-20 bullet. I've owned both and shot game with both. To me.....the 17 makes an awsome revolver cartridge. BUT.....the 40-45 grain bullets of the 22 mag would be more sufficient for yotes n foxes. I don't think I'd personally shoot a fox or yote with the 17. But in the event that I change my mind......I ALWAYS use the 20 grain gamepoints. I tend to stay away from the balistic tipped and hollow tipped varmint bullets. I've also shot a spike horn whitetail with the 22 mag. That full metal jacketed bullet went through the bones of his neck and put him down with one shot. That kind of penetration and devastation is IMO better achieved with the 22 mag and it's relative 40-45 grain bullets. I'm prob. going to keep my 17 pistol with a scope.....BUT i do someday want a henry lever chambered for 22 mag.

Hey Joebut1985...I enjoyed the link to the gun/scope tests for the .17...I only wished that they included the CZ rifle in the test...I would bet the group size would be considerbly smaller...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have never, and I mean never pulled the trigger on any 22LR and had anywhere near the @#$% eating grin I had the first time I felt the accutrigger in my 17HMR break cleanly and watched a coke bottle disintegrate!
    Was that you out at Jim Creek last Saturday? If so, that is a nice rifle you have. The guy was busting bottles out further than you could see plainly with the naked eye.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

The 22 is cheap to shoot but limits you to about 100yds max. The 17s extend the range some but are not cheap to shoot. I use the 22lr for hunting small game at close ranges (75yrds). If I will be shooting beyond that I use cast bullets in either a 22KH or a 25/20. either of which has a lot more punch and cheaper to shoot. A 25/20 in a 92 Win is hard to beat for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Was that you out at Jim Creek last Saturday? If so, that is a nice rifle you have. The guy was busting bottles out further than you could see plainly with the naked eye.
    Unfortunately that wasn't me though I wish I did have the time to get out and send a few down range

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The 22 is cheap to shoot but limits you to about 100yds max. The 17s extend the range some but are not cheap to shoot. I use the 22lr for hunting small game at close ranges (75yrds). If I will be shooting beyond that I use cast bullets in either a 22KH or a 25/20. either of which has a lot more punch and cheaper to shoot. A 25/20 in a 92 Win is hard to beat for fun.

let's make it a more fair comparison now.......

22 mag vs. 17 HMR.

22 lr. vs. 17 shorty.

The 17s are certainly flatter shooting and with the jacketed bullet tend to be very accurate. I think I might choose a 17hmr over the 22mag as the price per round isn't a lot different. The price per round of the 17 short vs 22lr is about 400% higher. I can still afford to go out and shoot a brick of 22lr, but a brick of even the 17 short at $80/$90 is a little more than I can take. I can load 25/20 or 22H with cast boolits for about $5 a hundred so I don't have a lot of use for high priced rimfires. A good 22lr is a different story as it is cheap to shoot and plenty accurate to about 75yds. If I want more power or range then I will go centerfire. The only thing I have against the 17 rimfires is the cost of ammo. Same with the 22mag. I like to shoot a lot and the only way I can afford that is by keeping ammo cost to a minimum. Now a 17/5.7x28 would be fun if I had the means to swage bullets for 17cal.

I bought a Marlin 917 a couple years ago for small critters in Louisiana. I will agree that it's more expensive to shoot than a 22 but a that's okay because I don't think the cartridge was designed to replace the 22. I'll still shoot the 22 my dad gave me 20 years ago until the day I give it to one of my kids.

I've never been a big fan of BSA but they make a scope called the Sweet 17 that i've had on that rifle since I purchased it. I've checked the sights several times since then but have never had to re-sight. I guess that makes me fan, eh?

It's great shooting gun, it's realively quiet(louder than I expected), and it's inexpensive to shoot. I wouldn't recommend shooting grouse anywhere other than the head though, it will just about turn on inside out.

Mine's also synthetic/blued, matching all my other rifles, so the wife never knows a new gun from an old gun!!!

here's some real dirt on the 17 hmr.......they are no longer considered safe in semi autos......by HORNADY and most gun manufacturers! The 22 mag. can still be safely fired out of semi autos though. My 17 single six pistol.......if not cleaned at least every 50 rds builds up such dangerous pressure that the cases split open near the shoulder......and sharp lil shards of brass come blasting back at your face. But.....plenty safe if you keep it cleaned. I learned a good lesson on that one though.....always wear safety glasses.....even when hunting. (still have my eyes luckily)

Yeah, that's why I asked what model Remington Arleigh was shooting. If it's an auto Remington has recalled them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast