Thread: ideas for black bear meat

Default ideas for black bear meat

Never had any and going in the spring with my daughter and there is the slight chance of getting 2. I've heard good and bad things. Whats your thoughts and ideas for black bear meat? Any do's and don'ts? Best parts and best ways to cook it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pretend it's pork.

And up here anyway, spring bear is usually better than fall, unless your bear comes from somewhere far from salmon streams and right in the middle of berries. Then fall bear can be tops, too.

And save a bunch of the fat to render for lard. We prefer the organ fat, and keep that separate from the rest of the fat It's almost like butter. You haven't tasted donuts till you've had them fried in bear oil. And pie crusts made with bear rather than butter are always better.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

it can be tough.. and since your hunting out of a boat. you may not get as sweet a bear as out of the sound area...

i found those make EXCELLLLLENT sausages.. Italian, breakfast in bulk!have a fine grind done on them and WOW!

i dont even try to save spring fat it is thick with whatever the fat stored of the diet as it is reduce down by spring. i trim it ALL of very closely and use pork fat to sweeten. it....i have a few out of the PW area all ate good.. but made better sausage... then roast... the interior bears AWAY!!! FROM towns and dumps are by far the sweetest.. like a prime piggy
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Its very good corned and smoked as something different. Medium rare is a no no must be cooked through.

We also trim off all the fat. Add 10-20 percent pork fat or shoulder and run it through the grinder. You can use it in any recipe you would use hamburger. My kids love bear buritos!

UP here I tend to make it all into hunter sticks mmmmmmmmm hmmmmm! good!

Default Roasts

Try taking a roast, throw it in the crock pot with a pack of Liptons Onion Soup mix. Eight hours on slow, shred the meat and have a "hot beef" sandwich, add your onions or horseradish or ketchup.

Works great for me.

Default Black Bear

Don,t freeze it for long periods, better canned if you want to store it for a while.

My family LOVES spring black bear. We make as many roasts as possible and sausage the rest. Marinade roasts in ¾ cup red wine and ¾ cup white vinegar add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a teaspoon of FRESH Marjoram. Marinade in the refrigerator overnight turning frequently. Then treat it like a Boston Butt roast with a low heat.

If you take one and you don’t want the meat PM me and I will come to you to get it.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I don't see the sense in trimming the fat then replacing it with hormone laden commercially raised pork fat. Totally defeats the purpose of harvesting wild game, IMO. Use the fat from the bear for adding into sausage, and render it to lard if you have excess. It is absolutely the best lard ever! The biggest mistake people make, again IMO, is overcooking for fear of Trichinosis. Use a meat thermometer, and bring the core temp to 160*. (If you take it out of the oven at 155 and cover it for 15 minutes, it will continue to rise to 160. The juices will also set instead of running out when you cut it, resulting in moist, tender meat.) Thats' it. No need to turn it into dry shoe leather!

Freezing it 30 days at 5* kills the worms in pork, but is not always effective in wild game. We smoke hams, make sausage, make regular grind meat, roasts, and steaks from ours. The ribs are to die for- we never trim them down to burger it!

Dang, now I'm starting to drool and I still have 5 months before I can go get one!

I prefer most game meat cooked medium rare, which is as stated, a no-no with bear. So we generally get roasts made, then the rest goes into sausage - chorizo, italian, pepperoni sticks. The ground sausages are more likely to get well cooked before used in a recipe. Don't use them for any patties, but mix with other burger for meat loaf or use for tacos/pasta/pizza, etc.

My brother cuts bear in small pieces and adds to a stir fry. It is very good eating.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I don't see the sense in trimming the fat then replacing it with hormone laden commercially raised pork fat. Totally defeats the purpose of harvesting wild game, IMO. Use the fat from the bear for adding into sausage, and render it to lard if you have excess. It is absolutely the best lard ever! The biggest mistake people make, again IMO, is overcooking for fear of Trichinosis. Use a meat thermometer, and bring the core temp to 160*. (If you take it out of the oven at 155 and cover it for 15 minutes, it will continue to rise to 160. The juices will also set instead of running out when you cut it, resulting in moist, tender meat.) Thats' it. No need to turn it into dry shoe leather!

Freezing it 30 days at 5* kills the worms in pork, but is not always effective in wild game. We smoke hams, make sausage, make regular grind meat, roasts, and steaks from ours. The ribs are to die for- we never trim them down to burger it!

Dang, now I'm starting to drool and I still have 5 months before I can go get one!
    I have spent lots of time researching the perils of parasites and have yet to find anything that says Trichina in bears is any tougher than the ones in pigs. Frozen solidly for a week at -10 kills everything.

Too many folks do not turn the freezer ALL the way down. The colder the freezer the better everything lasts, especially bear meat. At 6 months it is usally no longer fit for consumption. Getting a really bad bear just once makes the smell stand out and there is no doubt when it is no longer good bear.

I usually make entire bears into chili "bearde" which my wife cans. It is pretty fancy eating and stores extremely well as KK pointed out. Done up in chili it evaporates rapidly. My teenage son will eat an entire quart after school. An average bear is good for about 6 gallons.

The recipe is available if anyone wants it.
    art

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Never had any and going in the spring with my daughter and there is the slight chance of getting 2. I've heard good and bad things. Whats your thoughts and ideas for black bear meat? Any do's and don'ts? Best parts and best ways to cook it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We get breakfast sausage made every spring and it's great.

Default terrific ideas

some very seasoned (no pun intended) advise so far on the thread.... a good sausage works well. If you want to play around with steaks and roasts... marinate the meat (no more than about 2 inches thick) in regular coca cola in the fridge for about 6 hrs. then cook on low to medium heat until cooked through (no pink). the coke breaks down some of the muscle fiber and makes the meat a little better and tender.

Greg

Wink

Black bear meat is HORRIBLE--dont eat it, be best to call me and I will come get it and put you at ease knowing that it will be disposed of in a most graceful, thoughtful mannor. I have a 'special' freezer that I use for such undesireable meat like bear and moose, etc... Black bear meat will make you miserable, with belly aches, mild cases of belches, and the ungodly sounds of flatulence and daily trips to the outhouse. Not a pretty sight for a man and his daughter. Be much better to save yourself the occasional 'red-face' of un "OOPS" and let me take all the delicious, I mean terrible bear meat off your hands.

Just a friendly word of caution for those un-experienced with the dreaded black bear meat craze.

Rich
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.