Thread: They are winning so far...

Default They are winning so far...

I have been chasin' the bunnies around alot lately and it seems like the numbers in the Tok-chicken area have gone down majorly the last couple years, see a few tracks but they keep giving me the slip, I was able to kill a couple caribou and a moose this year so i dont need the meat that bad but I usually kill a lot in the winter here, and the predator's arent bad this year either...cant figure out where they all went!

I suspect this is probably just a fluctuation of numbers in your area. Maybe this wasn't a good year for their food supply and that has effected their reproduction, yada yada. They'll be back. Like anything else in nature there tends to be good years and bad years. Maybe try a different spot, or change your hunting strategy. If you normally walk and flush and shoot them on the run with a scattergun, maybe try finding an overlook somewhere and head shoot them with a .17 HMR during their peak movement time. (Might be a good excuse to get a new gun if you don't already have the little one seven. )

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I suspect this is probably just a fluctuation of numbers in your area. Maybe this wasn't a good year for their food supply and that has effected their reproduction, yada yada. They'll be back. Like anything else in nature there tends to be good years and bad years. Maybe try a different spot, or change your hunting strategy. If you normally walk and flush and shoot them on the run with a scattergun, maybe try finding an overlook somewhere and head shoot them with a .17 HMR during their peak movement time. (Might be a good excuse to get a new gun if you don't already have the little one seven. )

Yea i hear you, I usually stick with the bow, sometimes i bring my .17 or .22....I have been here for 20 years now and it just seems like it has kind of gone down hill the last 5 or so, I hunt areas usually thick with em and nooo people at all, as i live about 8 miles from chicken...I do most my hunting on the trips back and forth from tok, stop every 10 miles or so and make big loops...maybe just my luck this year, will see how it pans out...Thanks for the help

Numbers are down here on Kodiak also, what what I've seen. Knocked down quite a few last year but have not found many in my usual spots. Gotta get out there and keep tryin!!

Hares are very cyclical. They are on an 8-11 year cycle and the trend tends to sweep accross the state from the north east corner to the southwest according to the studies I have read on it. This is one reason I get a bit of a laugh when I hear people talk about shooting an area out of game. While I am not saying that you can't with intens pressure, I am saying that most of the time the less preasured areas that seem to dry up is simply the nature of things and ould have been just as bad if you had never harvested a single animal! I have read several different theories regarding disease and other factors that affect this but the most interesting was documenting the response of willows and other alders to excessive rodent browsing. Aparently these plants will begin to produce and build up toxins in their bark that will make it inedible to rabbits. SO if you hae historically great habitat it may still look fine but be completely inedible to the bunnies!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Aparently these plants will begin to produce and build up toxins in their bark that will make it inedible to rabbits. SO if you hae historically great habitat it may still look fine but be completely inedible to the bunnies!

Very interesting. There sure is a lot of good rabbit habitat with no rabbits.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Not sure where they r on their cycle, but i've seen a ton tracks, and had early success. I think they r middle of cycle right now. I will say that they were white early in the year, when we didnt have snow. Makes em easy pray. Got a friend who works in the park, and preds beat up the bunnies this year when there was no snow.

Hares are near peaking in southcentral. Could be this year or '10, '11. The last peak in the Anchorage area was in '99 or 2000. Kenai Peninnsula runs about every 12 years or so. Pretty close there too.

Default Limit

The bunnies are out their.. I went out last night around 230 to a local very hard hunted and traveled spot.. went to a area that was kinda tucked away, off the beaten path and whacked a limit in about 10 minutes.. They are white, and real hard to spot.. and most will flush after you have already walked by them.. thus was the case on 4 of the 5..

Bunnies arent at a desk, in a office or under your chair.. everyday I see new posts pop up.. (where are the hares, bunnies, birds, grouse, etc.).. Get a gun, put on some snowshoes and hit the woods..

Note: I find it best to hunt 1 hour before dark.. move very slow..

Happy hunting....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    The bunnies are out their.. I went out last night around 230 to a local very hard hunted and traveled spot.. went to a area that was kinda tucked away, off the beaten path and whacked a limit in about 10 minutes.. They are white, and real hard to spot.. and most will flush after you have already walked by them.. thus was the case on 4 of the 5..

Bunnies arent at a desk, in a office or under your chair.. everyday I see new posts pop up.. (where are the hares, bunnies, birds, grouse, etc.).. Get a gun, put on some snowshoes and hit the woods..

Note: I find it best to hunt 1 hour before dark.. move very slow..

Happy hunting....

Thanks for the Info, But I was talking about numbers.....I guess the cycle has peaked and is on the down side, And I havent seen a car or even another person In over a month so I have the pressure on my side, There simpy just not moving in the day now, Pretty much night time movers......I have killed quite a few the last week now and they have all been within an hour of sunrise, After that the things dont move.