Thread: Lightweight Custom Rifles

Default Lightweight Custom Rifles

Anybody shooting mag. rifles under 6lbs?Who made it and how does it shoot?Any pics?

i have a .416 rem mag thats right at 6.2lbs with my iron sights and sling on it...ultra light arms made it, shoots like a dream, fits like a glove and is such a joy to carry!
    i'll have to dig for a pic.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have several that weigh in the 6.5 lb range - with rings and bases, scope, sling, 5 rounds on the stock and 3 in the mag. I don't hunt with them if I can't shoot MOA or better off the bench. Manufactures include Mt. Rifles, Inc., Rifles, Inc., NULA, and several I have had local 'smiths cobble together for me in several magnum variations in 7mm and 30 cal.

Default 416?

BRWNBR why a 416 in such a light rifle? must kick like a mule! I have seen those ULA rifles and they are nice!

light rifle in a .416, well cause i carry it and when i shoot it i like my bullets to make a spalsh.
    everyone told me i wouldn't be able to shoot it, that i'd rebarrell it and it would be uncoltrolable. but dang the thing shoots like my .338 has a tiny drop at comb and can shoot cloverleafs of a leadsled. its a very managable rifle, ya i get bit in the forehead on accasion if i'm not hanging on but i've had that with little guns when i'm not paying attention.
    love my NULA, just wish it was control round feed is all, had some problems with the push feed this year.
    Master guide 212

I've got a Nosler 48- 6.5 pounds. Carries and hunts well. Shoots sub MOA.
    After shooting a lightweight I don't know I could ever switch back to a heavier rifle at all. Sure they kick at the range- but I carry mine a whole bunch more than I'll ever shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    had some problems with the push feed this year.
    Can you elaborate?

I know Alaska_Lanche enjoyed carrying it, but dreaded the fact that he might have had to pull the trigger on the 'ol girl! From your report, however, it doesnt seem like an issue for ya.

Did the NULA folks think you were crazy when you had it built or was it just everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Can you elaborate?

I know Alaska_Lanche enjoyed carrying it, but dreaded the fact that he might have had to pull the trigger on the 'ol girl! From your report, however, it doesnt seem like an issue for ya.

Did the NULA folks think you were crazy when you had it built or was it just everyone else?
    That gun is Sa-weet let me say right off. BRWNBR I should have taken you up on the offer to atleast rip one round off but I was SCURRED.

On another not I have a Kimber Montana in .308 that is 6.2 pounds all up with scope/sling/ and four rounds in the mag. That pretty much beats the Remingotn & Browning TIs hands down for MUCH less cost. Granted its no NULA but it'll work for my purposes. Considering the fact that I got the rifle/scope/mounts/ and sling for less than $1400 is a bargin compared to the other UL rifles out there. Just need to get the thing duracoated in some sweet mountain camo of some sort and it'll be ready for next spring.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 12-06-2009 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    That gun is Sa-weet let me say right off. BRWNBR I should have taken you up on the offer to atleast rip one round off but I was SCURRED.

On another not I have a Kimber Montana in .308 that is 6.2 pounds all up with scope/sling/ and for in the mag. That pretty much beats the Remingotn & Browning TIs hands down for MUCH less cost. Granted its no NULA but it'll work for my purposes. Just need to get the thing duracoated in some sweet mountain camo of some sort and it'll be ready for next spring.
    Dont be SCURRED!! Cant believe you wussed out!!

Sweet mountain camo comin' up!!

ya i offered to let you shoot it several times but nooooo.

with the .416 the shells are long and fat and they bumped off the sides of the box and would feed two at a time. or at least try to. i bent the box out a bit with pliers and that helped alot of it seems like it might just be a shade narrow and sometimes they both jump up if you tried to load it to fast, thus creatin' a jam. not cool.

i don't think i could buy another gun over 7lbs...love the light guns.

luke i got my goat antlers sittin' here at the house next to my deer horns....
    Master guide 212

Been telling people that for years. Once you get a light rifle that is accurate and that you can shoot accurately....why would you want to go back to carrying a heavy rifle???

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post

luke i got my goat antlers sittin' here at the house next to my deer horns....
    Great!!! You gonna bleach the goat skull?? I think the bleached skull would be a really nice contrast to the black antlers.

Default Love the lightweights

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    Anybody shooting mag. rifles under 6lbs?Who made it and how does it shoot?Any pics?
    Under 6lbs in a magnum cartridge is pretty light. There are no and as far as I know have ever been any factory produced Magnum rifles this light (other than the Browning Titaniums which I have never weighed but they advertise as being this light). You will find many actual weights (although Kimbers are usually true as advertised) as being actually heavier than catalogued so you are talking custom or customized factory rifle. Kimber Montanas come close to this weight in the WSMs as do the Rem 700 TIs. Both usually + a few ounces. I had a custom built on a Rem 700 TI action that weighs 5lbs 9.7oz chambered in 7WSM. Sorry no pictures. Could have come in closer to 5lbs on this build, but, I wanted a little heavier barrel for balance. Extremely lightweight rifles can shoot extremely well (in fact IMO just as good as a much heavier rifle for a round or two which is all you need for hunting. Remember ultralight weight rifles by necessity have light contour barrels and heat up quickly. I agree they are a joy to carry and are meant for that and not bench rest shooting. I have had a few different lightweight rifles built and have owned Rem 7 AWR (300SAUM) and 700 AWRs and TIs, Nosler 48 and HS Precision in their respective lightest versions. I have come to the conclusion that for my money Kimber Montanas (although at times a hit and miss proposition, no pun intended) are a very good value and you could pay a whole lot more and possibly not get a lighter or much better shooting rifle. YMMV.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Smith View Post
    ... I have had a few different lightweight rifles built and have owned Rem 7 AWR (300SAUM) and 700 AWRs and TIs, Nosler 48 and HS Precision in their respective lightest versions. I have come to the conclusion that for my money Kimber Montanas... are a very good value and you could pay a whole lot more and possibly not get a lighter or much better shooting rifle. YMMV.
    TS- I agree fully. I love my Nosler but when I look at it and think I could have bought 2 Montanas and a couple of Leupold scopes for what I've got in it I have to shake my head and wonder.

Montanas are a great value for a lightweight rifle- I'm anxious to see what the 84L in 270 weighs. Should be lighter than the 8400 in 270, maybe under the 6 lb mark.

ya gonna do a euro mount with those goat antlers, good thing it ain't a forked horn!
    Master guide 212