Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Best places to hunt coyotes in South-Central, Ak

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default Best places to hunt coyotes in South-Central, Ak

    I am new to predator hunting and want to know a few good places to hunt without taking a plane. Can anyone help me?

  2. #2
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    You'll find most folks tight-lipped in terms of any animal producing spots close to the Anchorage/Matsu area. Best bet is to search the forum and get a few general ideas and check it out on foot.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I understand. Thanks for the advice!

  4. #4
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Maybe try down south too, the seward highway, there seems to be a pretty good population of predators down that way.

  5. #5

    Thumbs up

    For fox and lynx the best spot is along the Matanuska Glacier. The hills above and below in the moraine of the glacier are real good. The rabbit population is good there right now. Also keep a close eye on the areas along the hillsides of Sheep Mountain on the Glenn Hwy. The other direction, on the Parks Hwy, you should concentrate your efforts between Healy and Anderson. Look for tell tale signs of rabbits and other small game in the brushy areas and in creek and river bottoms. That is where you will also find the predators that prey on them. There are a couple of pockets near Cantwell, but they get hit pretty hard, early on. Again look in the pockets of deep brush and creek beds all along that stretch before you get to Cantwell, like Honalulu Creek and Upper and Lower Troublesome Creeks.

    If it looks like you will need a hatchet or machete to get through it, it will likely hold critters.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6

    Default

    Akres,
    How does one get in there (the Matanuska that is)? Pay the tresspass fee once the bridge is crossed?

    Thanks
    PC gag in place.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    Akres,
    How does one get in there (the Matanuska that is)? Pay the tresspass fee once the bridge is crossed?

    Thanks
    I have always just walked in from the Glenn. Several good parking spots along that stretch. But if you have a cub, you can land on the ice or in the flats. Also you can shoot sheep in season there. Not too many know the sheep hang out that low in the last part of the season. Sorta like shooting rabbits in the brush.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •