Thread: Anyone have a KAHR ?

Default Anyone have a KAHR ?

What are your opinions of the KAHR series from those who have owned and shot them?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

FP,
    I carried a K9 for about 2 years when they first came out- (I think mid 90's). Sold it when I moved to AK because I didn't want any hassles with shipping it up after the fact.

Great carry gun- flat, very concealable and a reasonably simple design. Mine trucked along in SE USA heat, humidity and sweat galore. Never malfunctioned that I remember and I shot it a fair bit as I recall. I used the Bianchi "Professional" IWB holster and it just vanished beneath a shirt.

Cons- trigger was horrendous on my sample, decent enough for the intended purpose but it was long, heavy and mushy- Wilson Combat offered a trigger job back then, don't know about now. A buddy sent his off to be worked on and raved about it. I thought the trigger was still horrible. Gun is also heavier than you'd think it'd be for the size. Recoil was sharp- K9 in 9mm was OK. The K40 had a really sharp snap that some folks found to be too much- on par with a J frame .357 which I found surprising.

Price- all of them I've seen have had pretty good buiild quality and are priced accordingly. Not an el-cheapo striker fired gun by any stretch of the imagination. On par with Sig quality wise and matched in price as I recall.

I'd buy one again in a heartbeat if I wanted that kind of a weapon but I'd probably get a T9 instead of the K9- slightly bigger (kinda S&W 3913 sized) but still flat. You don't hear much about these guns but I suspect that's because they're isn't a thing wrong with them.

Hope that helped.

I've shot a couple thousand trouble free rounds through my PM9. Its light, reliable, and easy to carry. I'd highly recommend one based on my experience.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I had a CW 40. It had one of the worst triggers I have ever pulled on a handgun. Mine would shoot 2 feet low at 10 yards. I sent it back to Kahr and they replaced the barrel and it shot fine after that. I didn't like the gun very much, so it was traded off for a better project.

I bought one of the first K40s shipped to Alaska ('98 I'd guess?) and carried it for awhile. It wouldn't eject unfired ammunition reliably, so it went back to Kahr and they returned it about 10 days later with a lowered and lengthened ejection port that was supposedly incorporated into the production line. I traded that one off to a friend (who still carries and shoots it) and picked up a P40 when they were introduced around '04, and I've been carrying it ever since. Light, compact, smooth, thin, still a big enough handle to actually grip and properly aim. The triggers aren't great, but they're no worse than many Glocks I've fired, and certainly better than a Ruger SP-101 or S&W 317 in DA mode. My second Kahr has a much better trigger than the first, so I'm sure they made a few improvements along the way. I've never had a FTF and no stovepipes, even with reduced loads. A few times I've had the slide fail to lock open on an empty magazine, but that's only with reduced loads and I won't fault the gun for that. If I had to find fault with the gun, I'd say it's a bit "snappy" for just fun and games at the range. Nowhere near as bad as the wife's Scandium J-frame 357, but a bit much to be "fun" for more than a box or so. It's designed to be carried and small, light guns just aren't meant to be range queens. In short, I'll be keeping this one and passing it to my kids when I go.

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that my wife likes it too. Many have been the times when I've reached into the vault to grab the Kahr only to find she's already wearing it.

My dad had a K9 up til a couple years ago. He liked it but I talked him into a Glock. I can't say about the carry but this one wasa shooter. Nice and flat as I remember. I would recommend

Alex,

I have had a K40 for about 6-7 years now. I've carried it both off and on, when the situation dictated, duty. Nice gun, but has some sharp edges. Mine shoots relatively well. I'm able to shoot well over 90% with it on our standard qual course. I quit carrying it when it developed a problem with the sear resetting that often results in a failure to fire. I believe this is due to a problem with the trigger return spring. It needs to go back to Kahr, like some of the others did, and get squared away. Once this issue is resolved I would not hesitate to rely on it at all. PM me if you want contact information. Don't know if you remember, but I worked at PPD when you were in Palmer.

Take care,
    Kelly Swihart

Good responses. I am still mulling over something for my wife and there happens to be a few KAHRs for sale locally.
    The size appears to be about right. I need to have her play with them some. She had a S&W 3913 DA only, but the trigger pull was too much for her to be half-way accurate.
    She shoots my old Colt Single Action Army very accurately due to the single action and small grips. She also shot my Glock 20 (10mm) rather well at the range, due to the trigger pull, but the grips were really too big for her.
    She is about 5'6' and around 135lbs. I was thinking about a 44special Bulldog, but the couple I have seen were not so well finished and the snappy recoil may be a little much for her wrist. Unless the Bulldog I saw was just a fluke...with rough marks all over it.

So it will probably be a 38 snubby (or 357 shooting 38 +P loads. Or a 9mm compact. Ammo for either is easy to find.

I hid her crappy little 25 auto before she accidentally shoots herself with the POS.

You didn't get a few bad samples of the Bulldog...they're all pretty rough.

I'd recommend the steel-frame K9 if gun weight isn't really an issue. I went to the polymer when I lived in Colorado because I couldn't always wear a good belt, and the steel frame was a bit much for my Levi waistband. The P40 is a bit brisk recoil wise, but my steel frame 40 wasn't objectionable at all. I can imagine the K9 is even easier on the hands.

You mention trigger pull as a possible concern. The Kahr guns have a really long, but fairly light trigger pull. The best way I can think to describe it is like saying it's a 5lb DA revolver pull. It's very smooth, and when they wear-in there's no stacking at the end, it just takes a bit of practice to get used to.

I think she'll like the Kahr, and you will too. let us know what you end up with.

Just bought her the 9mm KAHR. Wow spare magazines are right spendy....

I think you/she are gonna be very happy with your purchase. I've carried a PM-9 for over 5 years now and have been very happy with it. It was a bit balky the first hundred rounds but was told to expect that.

It is scary accurate for such a small platform and the trigger is long but silky.

I've also shot a K9, K40, MK40 and a TP40. There isn't one that I shot that I would be reluctant to depend upon. The K9 was on the very demanding NYCPD off-duty authorized gun list till they put the 12lb trigger pull requirement. That ended that.

Which model did she get? The weight varies alot depending on the model and her comfort level will vary accordingly.

+1 on the PM9. I love mine!

Carried a K9 elite 98 and MK9 elite 98 for years. Both were excellent. The K9 got the wolff springs to lighten the trigger (and the elite trigger group was better anyways), after that the trigger was perfect. Lou Alessi did my leather back then and it carried so nice. I put the ss guide rod in the K9 and put on the nice wood grips. I sold it before coming up, wow do I miss the K9! It sure loved to eat those Federal 9BPLE!
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Did she get the K9 or P9? How does she like it?

Wife has a P9, and likes it (but not as much as her 640). I like my P45, and really like my PM9. They do like to be clean and well lubed. If dirty or dry the reliability isn't as good as (similarly dry) Glocks, SIGs, or S&W autos. I clean them very well after every range session, and lube at least every couple weeks if they don't make it to the range.

Alessi Leather is still in business, and still makes great holsters, just without Lou. Their ankle holster for the Kahr is a thing of beauty.