Thread: Need some info

Question Need some info

Hi all,

My father died a few weeks ago and my mother would like to send me his guns and ammo from the lower 48. I am in need of a reputable gun dealer in Anchorage to receive these items.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim Shaw in Eagle River. His # is in the book. If you are active duty or retired military he will do any transfer for you for $10. If not, $25. This includes ordering from his wholesalers at their prices as well.
    I used his services recently a few times and can recommend his personally.
    Tennessee

Default Just mail them

You do not need to send to a FFL if you're not buying them . I've sent guns back and forth from my sons and myself for 14 years . You are not buying or selling .

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

are you going home to see mom? you could hand carry them all on the return also...

any of your gun shop dealers would work well with you i am sure. they do it for a living just expect to fill out FFL transfer forms as even though you did not buy them ownership is being transfered. you can ship from your self to your self... legally...seems this one pops up a few times a year so it is well discussed, as i am sure it is again about to be..

call the forum sponsors Right here also i bet they would do it for you also...

Alaska custom firearms.. 349-guns
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Gun Transfer

That is correct i have sent guns in the mail from myselt to myself (long guns only) You can't do it with pistol at all.
    You would be doing a transfer even thou they are in the family, it is possible if you were going to see your mom that you could send them that way.

Dealer. I just looked at a list of gun dealer in the area and there are a bunch. Most will charge up to 25.00 for the transfer to include the background check. If they want to charge more move on because there is a lot out there. I think you can go to Gunbrokes.com and get a listfor what ever area you are looking for. The ammo my be a diff problem i am not sure on that.

Good luck and sorry for your loss

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Ammo is a bit harder to ship.

In the past I've just declared and checked guns and ammo as luggage on my flight back to AK. Flying with a gun in luggage is a lot less hassle than shipping- somewhat surprisingly.

I have flown and shipped guns for many years and had no trouble ever. I would guess the ammo would be a diff problem.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thanks for all the info.

I won't be heading down there anytime soon (Alabama). There are a combo of long guns and pistols. I had heard that in order to get them shipped to me, she would have to get a dealer down there and I would have to get one up here for the transfer.

I reason I was seeking "reputable" is because there are a couple of them that are antiques and pretty pricey. I would hate for them to get "lost" in the shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrdog1 View Post
    Thanks for all the info.

I won't be heading down there anytime soon (Alabama). There are a combo of long guns and pistols. I had heard that in order to get them shipped to me, she would have to get a dealer down there and I would have to get one up here for the transfer.

I reason I was seeking "reputable" is because there are a couple of them that are antiques and pretty pricey. I would hate for them to get "lost" in the shuffle.
    I just went through this myself when My Dad died a couple months ago and I'm sorry for your loss.

She does not need to go to an FFL to ship however an FFL can ship handguns through the USPS and thatís much cheaper to Alaska. Long guns she can simply mail to your FFL herself, they must be unloaded, declared, and go to an FFL is all.

I believe ammo can go parcel post if correctly marked, ORMD or something like that.

My FFL guy never charges more than $10 a gun and does bulk deals for cheap . . . he's a great guy.
    Alaska Guns-N-Stuff
    Wasilla 376-6703
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Negative on ammo in the post office. ORM-D is bad, got to jail stuff, if you post it.

My dad never believed in registering his guns, so if I get them shipped to me up here, will they end up being registered?

Quote Originally Posted by wtrdog1 View Post
    My dad never believed in registering his guns, so if I get them shipped to me up here, will they end up being registered?
    The transfer will be listed in the FFL holder’s logs and the governments instant check will show that you were checked out but not if or how many guns you got. As I understand it the government is barred from keeping a list of gun owners and guns but the FFL holders must keep the records. They won't be "registered" with some searchable government database but there will be a paper trail through the FFLs logs. The only way around this is to fly down, mail the long guns from yourself to yourself and fly with the hand guns.

I don’t worry about who knows I have guns anymore. I figure if they are to the point of taking them from me they will likely know or find out I have guns no matter what I do. They can come and get them if they are that committed to their cause . . . and I will gladly hand them over at that point . . . bullets first!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The transfer will be listed in the FFL holderís logs and the governments instant check will show that you were checked out but not if or how many guns you got. As I understand it the government is barred from keeping a list of gun owners and guns but the FFL holders must keep the records. They won't be "registered" with some searchable government database but there will be a paper trail through the FFLs logs. The only way around this is to fly down, mail the long guns from yourself to yourself and fly with the hand guns.

I donít worry about who knows I have guns anymore. I figure if they are to the point of taking them from me they will likely know or find out I have guns no matter what I do. They can come and get them if they are that committed to their cause . . . and I will gladly hand them over at that point . . . bullets first!
    Yea, I figured as much. Thanks for the info.