Thread: Cant help it....

Default Cant help it....

Ya , ya, another "dead Caribou" post.....im looking over lots apictures and enjoying my evening, so while Im at it, I figured Id post away.

It aint always easy making a living working for yourself, and lean times are around the corner for artists, after the holidas and before the Tourists show up, and a guy has to wok, like it or not.

Thanksgiving day, after checking a few traps I had set, I came apon a 40mph "*** happend?" moment, where my ski caught a willow root and pinballed me off the trail into the willows who promptly shot me right back onto the trail agin, but without me beaver hat, mask, or neckwarmer, but one thick willow branch gave me a massive lump on my head, a purple eye, and pushed my knee near my nose, folding my hip bone up into my ribs. When the stars faded, I realized I was still on the machine, but stopped....
    That the snow go suffer'd no injury didnt make me feel better, but what the heck, 'coulda been worse............I gave it a couple days, and I went to the clinik because it wasnt getting better, and I wasnt sleeping. Ver there, they got to poke and prod, confirming 3 of my ribs were broke. I had bound them with a couple Ace bandages, and snapped the ribs back, to the disgust of alotta ears...~~LOL!!~~ but it made it easier to breath and It feed my hands from holding my chest.
    Got Codine outta the deal, an sat around as best I could for a week. The codine ran out, and its was a good pain killer, and a better sleep aid. My first time taking that stuff....first ribs Ive ever broke as welll.....The ribs are still tender, but not pounding mad with each breath anymore so Ibuprofine is just fine now.

Soooooo, as were heading outta town for a couple weeks, I mounted the ride, and Off I went. I pop'd the traps I had set, took home a couple more Fox, and one Beaver (in an Otter set ~~LOL!!~~)
    Low and behold, about 50 Caribou got in the way, and I couldnt resist

two fat ones and slow work
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Broke a couple myself a couple years back. They do hurt like the devil. Probably one of the most painful breaks I've had and I've had tons. Good luck.

Default Ribs

Stranger glad it wasn't worse. I have had an accident with a snowmobile, as we call them around here. I was going too fast on ice and went sideways, the machine rolling over me once and then rolled along past me. Excaped without anything broken, windshield wasted. Good to see you are chasing those pesky caribou again. Take care and get healed up.

Stranger its good to hear you are feeling better and were not injured any worse than that. Gotta watch those sneaky sleds!

Default Bad days

Make us appreciate the good ones! Demonstration of true character to still focus and take the bou despite the injuries.

Breathe deep and heal quickly.

Ed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

those are the one that remind us our duty to slow down chip...glad your okay. i broke five in one wreck of my sled..fortunatly i had folks there to help. years later i am still affected by it. take care out there on you own!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Im on the trail to total recovery

Like Vince said, gotta slow down......everything........ cause breathing heavy suks right now ~~LOL!!~~

I did in my right arm last spring and it wasnt till July that I was able to be myself again. I thought it would never heal but when I had my strength back, I was soooooooooo happy.
    Never did more than my fingers or nose before last spring , too, so I'm late on the learning curve.(Burn/learn~~LOL!!~~)
    As long as I keep 'em under a bit of pressure, they cant move much from deep breathing, and thats 99% of it right now. It was not as painfull today, and I certainly took it s l o w. Even used the snow go to drag the Caribou onto the sled
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default close one

Really glad to hear that you are doing ok. You live a tougher life than most and your family counts on you. Thank God that he was looking after you. Please take it easy for a while and don't try to do to much too soon and allow your body to heal. Remember that you will end up feeling better and think that you are capable of more than you really are. I know, I hear things like this from my wife time, who is a nurse by the way. Take care and ride safe.

Glad to hear you're on the mend stranger. Sure could have been worse. Sounds like I should be on the look-out for a snow go when I'm in the market for a snowmachine. Tough machine! Enjoy those bou, and take it easy on the trap line for a while.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Stranger

Glad you made out as lucky as you did, it could have been worse.

Careful sneezing for the next year or so. Each sneeze will remind you of this incident, painfully so. Other injuries you can learn to avoid irritating, ribs, well they lend a hand to breathing and all that good stuff. So the sneeze will squeeze them in uncomfortable ways.

Ralph