Thread: Gun not going into battery with one load

Default Gun not going into battery with one load

I have a new barrel for my Glock. Its a lone wolf distributors barrel. Several rounds wouldnt go into battery. They were almost there, but the slide needed just a nudge to get it closed.

Also, this was only happening with one load. They were made up with new starline brass, 200 grain solids. The COL was fine, as well as case length. I did use a very heavy crimp on these.

I also tried my other handloads using 180 grain XTP and CCI Blazers. Both those functioned just fine. Also shot some unknown stuff that worked fine too.

Maybe they are too Hot for the spring in the gun? I clocked them at 1140. But those 180's were pretty stout too doing over 1200

What type of crimp and might it be enough to cause a small bulge in the case?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

10mm is the caliber, and I'm using a Lee factory crimp die. Must be a taper crimp.

Im starting to wonder if it isnt the shape of the bullets that is causing it.

They worked fine in a stock glock barrel, but this Lone wolf barrel is alot tighter in tolerances.

I bet if I were to ream the chamber out some, all would be well

On the positive side, these loads were very accurate and good consistent velocities.

Maybe Ill load some more up tonight with a different COL and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I bet if I were to ream the chamber out some, all would be well

On the positive side, these loads were very accurate and good consistent velocities.

Maybe Ill load some more up tonight with a different COL and see if that helps.
    I would not ream out anything on the new barrel, my guess is your thinking about doing it by hand with a Dremel tool. I doubt you have an actual reamer for a .40 cal in your possession.

Your positive side comment about accuracy...

If you change the COL you have a different load so don't expect the same results.

My guess is you need to run the tapper crimp down a 1/8 turn. I'm thinking the neck is interfering with the feed. An other thought is brass length but you said you could bump it in so the neck probably needs to be squeezed a bit more.

Hey Matt,
    I'm following your thread with interest, and I think Marshal has a good idea about tightening the crimping die down a bit to slightly reduce the case neck. BTW, did you try shooting the same 200 loads out of your factory barrel?

My son has a 10mm Glock that we have handloaded for several years. I'm sure you already know that the chambers on the Glock factory barrels are cut relatively loose...you've probably noticed the bulge on spent cases shot from the factory barrel. I suspect the liberal chamber sizing is one of the reasons a Glock functions so consistently with a variety of ammunition. That said, my son also bought a custom barrel (a Bar-sto), and needless to say the chamber is much, much tighter...the difference is amazing. Disassemble your pistol, put a loaded case in each chamber and compare them side by side. You probably have done this, and that is why you thought of reaming it a bit, which BTW I would not do.

Anyway, we had the same problem as you. The custom barrel would shoot 180FMJ Magtechs all day long without a glitch...and very, very accurately. We have loaded hundreds and hundreds of them on my Dillon (we also use a Lee Factory Crimping Die). A few months ago we bumped up to 200 grainers to experiment a bit, and it was a different story...just exactly the same as yours with the custom barrel. However, we then tried the same 200grn loads with the factory barrel, and they shot much more reliably but there were still one or two hang-ups. My son got busy with work, and we ran out of time to problem-solve any further. However, when we return to this project we are going to first mess around with the crimping die, then (if necessary) the COL, and our last option will be changing out springs. I suspect a slight crimping or seating adjustment might be all it takes, but we probably won't get to it until next spring.

Good luck on your end, sir.

Doc (Chuck)

Yeah the loads work fine in the factory barrel.

Ill adjust the crimp and try and shoot today.

chuck, what are you using for your 200 grainers? Im using Montana gold solids.

I had a couple 200g hardcast FTF as well but the 230s ran fine. On mine I chocked it up to the G20 mags moving around in the G29 well.

Remember that the stock Glock barrel has alot of wiggle room compared to the Lone Wolf unit...I think it`s why they are so reliable when dirty.

If you want some DT nickel brass I can save them for you....I usually toss them as I don`t reload.

I just went out to the loading bench to look, but I don't have any left. The loading labels that I wrote on the case-gard boxes (now empty) simply say Midway 200grn FMJ. I can tell you everything else about the load, e.g., loaded on 11/08/08, AA#7@11.1grns, Starline Brass, CCI 300 primers, and OAL 1.26-1.27. As I remember, I bought a hundred of those 200 grainers from Midway USA over a year ago to experiment with, and I seem to recall that they simply came in a plastic bag without any specific label other than Midway (as if they were repackaged from bulk). I called my son, who thought they were Magtechs, but I don't think so.

I'm a pretty compulsive handloader, and I'm pretty sure I would have written down a specific manufactureer on the label if I knew it. BTW I just checked Midway's site to see if I could find them or something that looked familiar, but the only 200's were Hornadys. Anyway, like I said, I bought them over a year ago.

Sorry I can't be of more help, Matt.

Doc (Chuck)