Thread: Hangers near the anchorage area

Default Hangers near the anchorage area

I was wondering if you can get long term leases for aircraft hangers at either merril or birchwood, a few years ago I saw a banner for 70 yr leases for hangers on merril for about 50K and I tried to go online and look and saw one for 125K which is almost the cost of the plane I want and thought that was outragious compared to the prices I seen a few years ago and in a ressession I would expect that number to go down for high dollar recreational items like hangers and planes. For 125K I could buy enough land to build a run way and hanger out in the valley lol, maybe the guy that posted the add was smoking something as these were not the super nice executive hangers, just enough room to get the plane in out of the weather. I am planning on buying an extra 300 so definitly want to hanger it but anchorage may not be the place if thats how much basic hangers go for now days.

Default Valley

If going to the valley is an option for ya, then I'd suggest doing so. I can't imagine finding a hangar in Anchorage area for under $100k and that would be a deal. Don't forget, you have to pay lease/ins fees on top of your regular payments, too. The fees are fairly disgusting, so if its truly an option, just pay YOURSELF by buying your own land and building a hangar in the valley. (cheaper than a ANC T-hangar if you do it right)

Personally own a T-hangar in Anc area right now and bought land on valley airstrip. Method behind the madness: We will move to the valley (and build a real hangar/house) as soon as work situations allow because its financially irresponsible to own a T-hangar. Just don't have much of a choice if you work in ANC........

I made the decision you are trying to make pretty recently, myself. PM for more details if you wish, but its nearly impossible to justify the prices/fees of local hangars.

My .02

Ellis at Ace Fuel Supply (near taco bell across the street from Merrill) has a hanger for sale/lease. Not sure the asking price but I know he has posted on craigslist a few times so you might be able to find his ad. Something like $175,000 sticks in my mind but I cant remember.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Ellis at Ace Fuel Supply (near taco bell across the street from Merrill) has a hanger for sale/lease. Not sure the asking price but I know he has posted on craigslist a few times so you might be able to find his ad. Something like $175,000 sticks in my mind but I cant remember.
    Yea that is WAY over the top, I am looking for something in the neighborhood of 50K. I talked to my Dad and there are more paved run ways out in the valley than I thought where you can buy land around them and put up a hangar so I am thinking that is what I will do or check out palmer air port hangars. 175K is out in whacko land, good luck to him if he can sell it for anything even remotly close to that, I think people are going to get a wake up call on special use real estate and what the new market value is becomming, market value is based on what people will pay not what you think its worth, you cant keep hyper inflated prices in a recession for something that is totally recreational and high dollar (50K is still more than a cheese burger), while mooses tooth might be able to get away with selling 25$ pizzas most people are not out buying air planes.

I have a year before I pay off my student loans and im hoping that prices on merril field go WAY down before I make a move to buying something in the valley because merril would be nice to have a hanger but not 125-175K nice lol