Thread: Interesting Accubond performance.

Default Interesting Accubond performance.

I n the last week and a half I have shot two whitetails with my .358 Norma and 225 gr. Accubonds. One was at 178 yds. the other at 205 yds. both measured with a rangefinder. The shot on the 178 yd. buck was a double lung through the ribs and no other bones hit. The exit hole was approx. 2" and the deer spilled buckets of blood for the 25-30 yds it ran.

The interesting scenario was on the 205 yd shot. I held this one for a high shoulder shot because it was getting dark and I didn't want to have to search for it. Well no searching was necessary. The deer literally flopped over on its back at the shot with four legs in the air stone dead. When I started looking it over I initially couldn't find the exit hole or a single drop of blood. I was shocked considering the size of the first one. The shot broke both shoulders and I finally found an exit hole about 1/2" in diameter. I presume if the deer had run it would have left a blood trail because the lungs were liquid and the chest cavity full of blood. I guess when it laid on its back there was no way for the blood to flow out the hole.

I was just surprised that having hit a rib that bullet had expanded to make a huge hole but having taken out two shoulder blades it only made a hole the size of what I would bet was the diameter of the mushroomed bullet. I am totally pleased with the performance in both cases. I simply found the difference odd.

Good results, but actually the details don't surprise me a bit. Every shot and every animal is a new situation.

I get a chuckle.... Heck no.... I get a teary-eyed, wheezing belly laugh every time someone shoot a single animal with a new bullet and instantly proclaims it the best in the world and all others are trash. Whoooeeee!!!!

Hmmmmm....my theory: The bullet engaged enough bone to loose enough velocity that didn't have a huge hydraulic shock wave with it when it exited so it just plopped out the outher side.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Good results, but actually the details don't surprise me a bit. Every shot and every animal is a new situation.

I get a chuckle.... Heck no.... I get a teary-eyed, wheezing belly laugh every time someone shoot a single animal with a new bullet and instantly proclaims it the best in the world and all others are trash. Whoooeeee!!!!

Yes, It is always good to remember had many Thousands of Tons of Ivory was harvested in Uganda using 7.62 NATO with FMJ bullets.

Default accubond

Popped a little blacktail with a 200g Accubond from my 325 at 250 yds.
    Exit hole was the size of the mushroomed bullet.
    The deer dropped right there.
    Perfect behind the shoulder shot
    Heart and tenderloin was great for eating so I figured not much hydrolic shock.
    I think that it means everyting was OK.

Default Same results here

A couple of weeks ago I shot a whitetail buck, he was between 150 and 200 yds. Gave him the high shoulder shot because it was just about dark and he was on the edge of a big timber patch. He dropped instantly when my 200gr accubond hit him. Upon inspection, it seemed as if somebody had reversed the entrance and exit holes. The entrance hole was 2 1/2 to 3 inches and the exit hole was pencil sized. The way I understand the accubond, is that it acts like a ballistic tip on impact, sheds the polymer tip, and then the bonded core takes over for extreme penetration.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

In my experenace bullets that strike bone at enterance like a shoulder blade never expand as wide as a pure mussle hit will. Same if you shoot through a peice of plywood to test bullets. The bone keeps the jacket from rolling outward to make a proper musroom instead it is kept close to the bullet as it folds back word very tight to the bullet.

Now a backbond hit usually looks like a axe kill with twenty strokes. Missing vertabraies and no bullet recoverd.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I n the last week and a half I have shot two whitetails with my .358 Norma and 225 gr. Accubonds. One was at 178 yds. the other at 205 yds. both measured with a rangefinder. The shot on the 178 yd. buck was a double lung through the ribs and no other bones hit. The exit hole was approx. 2" and the deer spilled buckets of blood for the 25-30 yds it ran.

The interesting scenario was on the 205 yd shot. I held this one for a high shoulder shot because it was getting dark and I didn't want to have to search for it. Well no searching was necessary. The deer literally flopped over on its back at the shot with four legs in the air stone dead. When I started looking it over I initially couldn't find the exit hole or a single drop of blood. I was shocked considering the size of the first one. The shot broke both shoulders and I finally found an exit hole about 1/2" in diameter. I presume if the deer had run it would have left a blood trail because the lungs were liquid and the chest cavity full of blood. I guess when it laid on its back there was no way for the blood to flow out the hole.

I was just surprised that having hit a rib that bullet had expanded to make a huge hole but having taken out two shoulder blades it only made a hole the size of what I would bet was the diameter of the mushroomed bullet. I am totally pleased with the performance in both cases. I simply found the difference odd.
    I am having difficulty visualizing this... How would a "high shoulder shot" fail to leak on a turtled corpse? That should put the holes on the down side of the equation.

My experience with the Accubonds have been anything but acceptable, but I have not seen bullets of the larger calibers used on the huge stuff... like deer... Having seen 257, 284 and 308 pushed at warp speeds, I have zero desire to use them for anything. In 7mm four of four shot at deer have been recovered and showed evidence of tumbling. I do not ever want to recover a big game bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I am having difficulty visualizing this... How would a "high shoulder shot" fail to leak on a turtled corpse? That should put the holes on the down side of the equation.
    You're absolutely right on the location of the holes. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they didn't leak. There was half a gallon of "soup" inside the chest cavity so I have no idea what kept the stuff inside. Perhaps some pieces of lung plugged the holes. Like I said, they weren't that big.

I realize that my gun choice is ridiculous to some in regards to caliber for deer. However, it was as much of a test of a rifle and load as it was a preferred choice. If I wanted to use the most practical whitetail rifle I own I would have taken my 6.8 spc. I guess I should have said that I was also hunting hogs at the same time that can go as big as 400lbs.

Wow......358 norma for deer?! what is this world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post

Well, it may be overkill, but it has a couple of benefits too. They rarely run, and there is virtually zero bloodshot meat. I can't say the same about my .270 or 6.8spc.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Well, it may be overkill, but it has a couple of benefits too. They rarely run, and there is virtually zero bloodshot meat. I can't say the same about my .270 or 6.8spc.
    Bullet construction and speed and placement determine how much bloodshot meat you get. Every cup and core bullet I have ever seen pushed through meat has made a huge mess in the meat.

Stuff like Barnes X leaves a hole you eat right up to the edge of... And you do not have all those lead and jacket chunks sprinkled throughout.

I have shot an awful lot of critters with an awful lot of different calibers and bullet styles. An Accubomb would be as close to the bottom of my list as I could possibly put it due to meat damage and propensity for coming unsoldered and tumbling. And I would eliminate them for any one of those points.

BTW I have a 358Norma being barreled any time now, a Douglass barrel on a 721 action with a 700 bolt handle to add confusion. Going to stock it with a little cast to tame the recoil and I have a number of very old blanks I am looking at for the job. They do move ya!
    art

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I guess he had to settle for a pop gun, cuzz he didn't have nuthin bigger.

I frequently pop them with 375's and 458's, just cuzz that's what I happen to be carrying at the moment. Some folks say you need a minimum of a 338 to take deer in bear country, but that's not why I was carrying bigger. I just likem, and I'm as likely to pop a deer with a 25-35, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 7x57 or 30-40 Krag.