Thread: Champ vs taylorcraft

Default Champ vs taylorcraft

What your view for a 1st taildragger.

Terry

Default champ or taylorcraft

my first tail dragger, way back in the early 60's was a cessna 170B, with a climb prop. sure was a fun and business aircraft. finally sold it to a firm in maine, they were going to put floats on it for hunting lodge work.

Default depends...

Parts still available for the champ. Factory still open. You can get anything you need. The T crate you are making your own parts or searching a while.
    The T crate is a little more fun to fly I think but I'd still get the champ for the parts/supplies thing. Actually if you really want to start good get a C-140 and you won't ground loop any aircraft if you can master that squirrel.

Default Champ

Terry:
    I bought a Champ and learned to fly in it...a great plane, no doubt. More wing dihedral than a cub (not sure about T-crate) so it handled the turbulence a little better. Wider than the cub too, so I fit better. Biggest difference looks like the tandem vs. side by side seating. Tandem gives you a better view out both sides and two big guys can fit better than in a side by side. Find some Champ & T-crate owners and talk to both...you'll find out what they like and don't like pretty fast; it'll help you make your decision. Have fun! SEMike

Buy the best plane you can afford. Which one is less important than what condition. More useful life means you can fly it for awhile and sell it without rebuilding it.

There are three components of airplane economics. Aquisition cost, operation cost (which includes maintenance and insurance), and asset value when you sell it. Run the numbers.

Default I like champs

But I don't even fly anymore. I did fly a champ all around Alaska and loved it. It's not a supercub, and I think a t-craft is faster but I just loved the view from the front seat and the stick.

I could throttle back and float along burning a little more than 3gph. Lot's of fun.

Default Champ Hands Down

I received by tail wheel endorsement in a champ. I fly a 1946 7AC with an O200. No electrical. It's a great plane! My mechanic flies a T-Crate he would rather have a champ. I think it has to do more with aesthetics. T-Crate is just plain ugly.

Taylorcraft makes aircraft again, so I wouldn't be suprised if they made parts too.. http://taylorcraft.com/

The Champ will carry anything you can fit in it (don't ask how I know).

Either is a good bet, but you'll find the Champ a little more roomie, and easier to modify. I would go for a Champ myself though I always like the Taylorcraft.

Default Taylorcraft in trouble?

Read an article that taylorcraft was in money trouble and they were being took to court for taking parts off customers planes and not diliering services as promised. Also said they were not meeting there financial obligations to the city of Brownsville for airport space.

Terry

You should probably give us a little more info as to just what you want to do with your first taildragger.
    For the same size engine, I would guess the t-crate will perform better. T's are generally a lighter plane than a champ. But that means the champ is a little more stout, will stand up to the occaisional abuse better. Some champs have more room than t-crates, tho I've seen the Taylors modified to make more room in back. With both airplanes and small cont. engines, be careful with overloading and effecting take off distance.
    Like Pid, buy the best you can afford. Take GOOD care of it, maybe even modest improvements. Use it regularly. It will probably hold it's value.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Champ

Terry
    My first plan was/is a 1960 Champ. 31K for a plan with a NEW engine and STOL kit! She is very simple and easy to fly. If you are a big guy I would go with a Champ because they are MUCH wider and (IMHO) more comfortable than the T-cart especially if you have two people. The second point is that once you fly a stick you will not want to go back to a yoke. Just my thoughts.

Drew

Default Thanks to All

Thanks for everyones opinions! Really leading towards the champ, I'm 6 foot about 225 and have seen the taylorcraft side by side(dont know if I want to be that close to another man)lol. Looking for something around 30K, low hours and something I can turn around in a few years when I pay my diesel off and get a super cub or a family plane.

Terry

Check out this thread that we started over on the Super Cub site for one of my students. It has various opinions.

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewt...t=tcraft+champ

You may be able to find an old J-5 in your price range. I had one years ago with a 125hp 0-290D, super cub fuel system, pacer tail feathers and PA-12 wings with metal spars. On big tires. It also had droop tips and a BIG baggage area.

Something like that would be perfect for a guy your size. 300-400 foot take-offs and landings, plenty wide, burned about 6 to 7 gallons an hour of car gas. It was very hard to ground loop and would fly hands off.

I paid 35K for a very nice rebuilt J-3C converted to a 90 horse PA-11.(all Atlee Dodge STCs) Basically zero time on engine and fabric. I use it for Float Plane instruction. It is the most fun plane I have ever owned. I am 6' 1" and 210.

A guy in Palmer had a nice champ for sale. It was advertised on the aero-alaska site. Might still be there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!