Thread: What a night!

Default What a night!

I laid down for a bit last night and got up at 10pm to check the light. It seemed ok, even though there was a bit of overcast. I got my gear and headed out.
    I had hunted this place eons ago, and had not been back calling since. I quickly realized that I was the first vehicle in there in a week. The only other man tracks were from a snow mobile and he was not stopping anywhere.
    I found a place to hide the truck, got my gear, and set up. I started my old homebuilt car cassette caller in cooler at 10 minutes past the hour of Midnight.
    10 minutes in and I realized it was not that light, but I could still see well enough to use the shotgun. The rifle really was not going to be an option. Just after that, out of shotgun range, a form materialized from my side of the trail and crossed. Just before entering the far woods, out of shotgun range I might add, it stopped, but only briefly. The old heart picked up about 6 notches at that point. It disappeared into the woods. My guess is by size, movement, and how dark it looked that it was a fox.
    I kept the cassette rolling. 30 minutes later, it went staticy as the tape ran out. I don't think I ever ran through one side of a tape before. I did a quick and silent change on the tape, and got it rolling again after I had completed a sweep with the red light to be sure I was not being scrutinized.
    What nice evening and a great place to hunt from. I could see up and down the trail from my hideout, and on the other side of the trail across from me was a small meadow that extended about 50 yards away from the edge of the trail. I placed the caller out the whole 50' that the wire would allow me to.
    45 minutes into the game another shape appeared on the trail beyond where the first had been. It walked the edge toward me and stopped. I'd guess it was around 150 yards out. I slowly picked up the light, and the eyes glowed yellow/green. I had no way to hold the .22-250 and the light, so let the light back down easy. The form drifted off into the woods. It was hard to tell, but I kept thinking it was a lynx.
    Once again I ran out of tape, this time about 20 minutes after the second apparition had come and gone. I turned off the machine and let the world rest. 20 minutes later I was up, and quickly pulled my gear and left.
    I drove further up the road, and realized it was getting too dark to adequately see. I knew of some good meadows and fields, and did not want to ruin the chance to cover all of them with the shotgun and rifle. I decided to head for home. I was 150 yards short of the first set when I came around a bend and jumped a big lynx. Ohhhhhhhhh. He/she/it was drop dead gorgeous, and gone in a blink. Oh well, that's why it's called hunting and not shopping.
    I got home and set the alarm for 7:45, and my head hit the pillow at 2:45. I am headed out now for round 2, anxious and ready to see what this day brings. Even though the moon is out, it is still covered by clouds. I'll get out and be ready for the day to dawn. Whether I bring home fur or not, the start of my season has been rewarding already. What a night!

right on Greg!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

have fun greg!!!!i am sitting at work waiting .... and ..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I hear ya, always get a big charge out of just calling them in! I get a lot more animals in then I get shots....still pretty darn fun. Nice write up, good luck with round 2.

Default The skunk

After such a great night, today was a tad bit slow. Suffice it to say the only hair I saw was what my lab left on me because she sheds so bad.
    I got back to the honey hole a little after light. I woulda coulda shoulda been there a 1/2 hour earlier. Got set up and as it was light hid a lot better. I got tucked in behind some baby spruce.
    I pushed the power button on my Binford 9000 Homebuilt Car Cassette Deck Special. The cassette deck I tore out of somebodies old pimp mobile with shag carpet on the dash. Orange no less.
    The baby cottontail started its wail. For an hour. You know, I think we have a bit of a streak in us to sit and listen to that willingly, over and over, multiple times a day. But my focus was strong, and I was ready. Ready that is for everything but the truck that beat me in there and came driving back out, right over my speaker wire. I did not even bother changing the volume. Not sure what the 2 stooges in the truck thought was going on.
    Off to set #2. What a beauty. A big field, rolling hills, spotted trees, some brush that is not too thick, and a hedgerow of a windbreak running down the left third. Wind from right to left to start, and then it shifted to right in my face. Good enough, as I was calling for what was in front and especially off to my 2 o'clock. Again nothing happened. But it was a great set up.
    Off to set up #3, and more of the same. I did a bit more exploring and found more cat and dog tracks. I have a better idea of the area. Next time I'll try the new spots. I better give it a rest for a couple of weeks though.
    Hope you guys had as much fun as I did.

Nice going Greg. I was out the other afternoon until my mouth call froze up, but anyhow I was wondering what your shooting out of that 22-250? All I could find where HP.

Default .22-250 ammo

I am no expert as to what to use for fur bearers. The other night I took some Frontier FMJ, I think in 55gr. I shot them before and they group well.
    I have used soft points on a couple of animals and did not see a lot of problem. But keep in mind, for all the years that I have called, my fur count is really low. I just like to go.
    I am lucky in that I have a big selection of factory ammo. I do need to take it out and shoot different rounds just to be sure that they all hit similarly. I know the few that I go to are close.
    I think that I have some 40 gr or something too that I need to check to see point of imact compared to the other weight bullets. Just another thing on my list to do.