Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Brown Bear rug

Default Wanted Brown Bear rug

Wanting to buy a "legal" brown bear rug. Must meet all State regulations/permitting. My father wants me to get him one but unfortunetly time is not on our side - he's 86. And I can't go till 2011 at best. So this is my next best option.
    Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
    Wanting to buy a "legal" brown bear rug. Must meet all State regulations/permitting. My father wants me to get him one but unfortunetly time is not on our side - he's 86. And I can't go till 2011 at best. So this is my next best option.
    Thanks
    f&G HAVE an auction every year during the fur rondy. you may be able to buy one then.. they are all the poached and/ or seized or DLP/ other bears...

it is against the law to sell a grizz or brown bear in AK.. some Black bear pelts can be sold under the predator management program.. i am not aware of any of program for the grizz..

it is also against the law to leave the state with the intent to sell your trophy...

i think the F&G sale would be your best bet... or the OFF chance a taxidermy has been sitting on one they can not collect on. i understand they might {need better source then me) be able to sell something after a period of time...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Illegal

I know it is illegal to sell any part of a sport caught/hunted wildlfe in Alaska, but I do believe once it has been made into a rug you can sell the hide. If this is not so, could you please post the statute or a link to it that states the leagality or lack of.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    I know it is illegal to sell any part of a sport caught/hunted wildlfe in Alaska, but I do believe once it has been made into a rug you can sell the hide. If this is not so, could you please post the statute or a link to it that states the leagality or lack of.

i will look it up dan.. BUT YOU CAN NOT sell your bear rugs..

the only way to sell bears in ak is to have them made into items such as hats golves etc....

you may not sell your moose or bou either.. if the skull is attached either... includind the mounted ones.

i gotta run to work if some one else has not posted it i will pull it up later..

first taxidermist to post can honest fill the law in also....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

here is the one for taxidermy....

5 AAC 92.031. Permit for selling skins and trophies

(a) A licensed taxidermist may sell an unclaimed, finished skin or trophy under a permit issued by the department after the finished skin or trophy has been held unclaimed for one year, and after the taxidermist sends notice of intent to sell, by registered mail at least 15 days before the sale, to the last known address of the person who ordered the taxidermy work.
    (b) A court appointed or duly authorized estate executor, or a referee in a bankruptcy, may sell a game skin or trophy in a bankruptcy or probate action if that person first obtains a permit from the department.
    History: Eff. 7/5/85, Register 95

meet on face book here

Default wasn't as far in as i thought

5 AAC 92.200. Purchase and sale of game

(a) In accordance with AS 16.05.920 (a) and 16.05.930(e), the purchase, sale, or barter of game or any part of game is permitted except as provided in this section.
    (b) Except as provided in 5 AAC 92.031, a person may not purchase, sell, barter, advertise, or otherwise offer for sale or barter:
    (1) any part of a bear, except an article of handicraft made from the fur of a bear;
    (2) a big game trophy;
    (3) a big game animal skull, except the skull of a wolf or wolverine, or a horn or antler that is still attached to any part of the skull;
    (4) the antler of a caribou taken in Unit 23, unless the antler is a naturally shed antler or has been made into an article of handicraft;
    (5) unsealed marten taken in Units 1 - 7, and 15, except as provided in 5 AAC 92.170(a) ;
    (6) unsealed beaver taken in Units 1 - 11 and Units 13 - 17;
    (7) unsealed land otter, lynx, wolf, or wolverine;
    (8) the meat of big game and small game, except hares and rabbits; however, caribou may be bartered in Units 22 - 26, but may not be transported or exported from those units.
    (c) Notwithstanding (b)(2) and (b)(3) of this section, a licensed taxidermist, estate executor, or bankruptcy referee, may sell a skin or trophy by permit issued under 5 AAC 92.031, and the state will, in its discretion, sell a skin or trophy as excess property. A person may purchase and possess an animal skin or trophy sold under this subsection. However, no person may resell a skin or trophy purchased from a seller under this subsection.
    (d) A person who engages in fur dealing, as defined in AS 16.05.940 , and who purchases or acquires, through consignment or barter, the raw skin of a furbearer or fur animal, shall report the transaction to the department on a form provided for this purpose, within 30 days after the last day of the month during which the transaction occurred.
    History: Eff. 7/5/85, Register 95; am 11/1/85, Register 96; am 8/8/87, Register 103; am 7/14/88, Register 107; am 8/20/89, Register 111; am 8/10/91, Register 119; am 5/5/93, Register 126; readopt 5/13/93, Register 126; am 7/1/98, Register 146; am 7/1/2002, Register 162; am 7/1/2003, Register 166; am 7/1/2004, Register 170; am 12/30/2004, Register 172
    Authority: AS 16.05.255
    AS 16.05.258
    AS 16.05.920
    AS 16.05.930

meet on face book here

the OP has two options..

start calling taxidermist

or wait till F&G auction...

any one replying to make a deal should also beware of LEO sting ops... I dont know the OP so you could offer to sell one on the D/L and end up in a heap if trouble

meet on face book here

Gun broker has some black bears and one polar at this time but griz show up at times.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Browse.aspx?Cat=3091

Call Fish and Game and get a list of names and email address of people how hold a permit for the Control Areas they can sell untanned hides with claws and skulls. I donít have much more info on this so call fish and game, and get it from the horseís mouth. Donít trust anything you read or are told, do your own research then make a decision, and not assume that every one giving you advice knows the law. They may be a good rescores to find a starting place. You can see from my post and the others above that every one has there own interruption.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Tucker should know that taxidermists can sell mounts, which I believe includes a rug mount, from customers who back out on paying for their mount.
    Your best bet is to let your dad buy something that is already rugged down in the states. If it is legal to buy that stuff in the state he lives in. Plenty of bear stuff for sale on www.taxidermy.net
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Huh, so does that mean an Alaskan resident cant go online to a website such as:

http://www.bearskin-rugs.com/

and order a rug?

I think its a Canadian company and canadian game laws allow such to be sold. I dont know if they can be imported. Thats a good question, and maby the best solution.
    Those Polar Bear rugs are spendy...glad we have a few, and that she not cutting them up anymore...

I wonder this; If I shot a Brown Bear, with a sportsmans tag, had it tanned at a factory,and 'GAVE" it to my mom, would that be legal? Could she move outta state with such?if I could, maby Id send my mom my last one and have some better floors for my tent?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

From reading the regs that have been posted in this thread it would seem one could give away furs or rugs to anyone they please but selling and bartering them is the no no.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    From reading the regs that have been posted in this thread it would seem one could give away furs or rugs to anyone they please but selling and bartering them is the no no.

All you have to do is find someone willing to give you a rug or fur..

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyhunter17 View Post
    All you have to do is find someone willing to give you a rug or fur..
    muzzy you have one you want to give to me?
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Tucker should know that taxidermists can sell mounts, which I believe includes a rug mount, from customers who back out on paying for their mount.
    Your best bet is to let your dad buy something that is already rugged down in the states. If it is legal to buy that stuff in the state he lives in. Plenty of bear stuff for sale on www.taxidermy.net

Yes, a taxidermist can sell a bear rug, that has not been paid for and picked up by the customer. However, you need to go to fish and game get a permit proving you have lost money and then F&G will give you a permit for you to recover your losses. (Losses only). I ask for half down that covers my cost. So if I went though all that I would be out more money. There for I and almost all other taxidermist don’t sell that way. But if you like to give money and time away perhaps you should come work for me collecting for bad accounts. On commission of course!

That’s what I get for trying to help someone
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

You can go outside and buy one, and the trooper would not care, because then it becomes a federal thing. Itís called the Lacey act the feds like it when you play around with that one. Now I will say it one last time. Itís up to you to educate your self.
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

....(b) Except as provided in 5 AAC 92.031, a person may not purchase, sell, barter, advertise, or otherwise offer for sale or barter:
    (1) any part of a bear, except an article of handicraft made from the fur of a bear;....

Wouldn't a bear rug fall under this? A rug is a handicraft made from the fur. Maybe not since there claws attached as well.

EDIT: I found this attachment about "Handicrafts". It seems that subsistence users can turn animal parts into stuff and sell it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Snyd; 12-06-2009 at 17:05. Reason: More info

According to F&G troopers a rug is not considered a handicraft.

Was this legal?
    Alaskan Black Bear Rug for sale by a guy in Montana.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147841916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast