Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: older guy question

Default older guy question

Hi Guy's, I'm new at bow hunting and find that I have trouble seeing a clear pin in the sight. It seems that even squinting doesn't clear it up. To me it looks like a double point. This gives me a windage spread of the arrows of 6-8" at 40 yards. Anybody got a cure? Thanks Tom

Bifocals, lasic surgery, or ditch the sites and pick a spot on the animal. It takes more practice and you shorten your range but it works, especially with a longbow.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Hi Guy's, I'm new at bow hunting and find that I have trouble seeing a clear pin in the sight. It seems that even squinting doesn't clear it up. To me it looks like a double point. This gives me a windage spread of the arrows of 6-8" at 40 yards. Anybody got a cure? Thanks Tom

Try using a peep sight, unless you already do...it is just like squinting real hard to try to see just looking even with the string..

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    Bifocals, lasic surgery, or ditch the sites and pick a spot on the animal. It takes more practice and you shorten your range but it works, especially with a longbow.
    I agree with Boud'arc. Try traditional. It's more instictive which is true archery. But beware it's more difficult cause you don't have sights and training wheels and such.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBound2010 View Post
    I agree with Boud'arc. Try traditional. It's more instictive which is true archery. But beware it's more difficult cause you don't have sights and training wheels and such.

Jus had to say it didnt you... HAHAHA

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Hi Guy's, I'm new at bow hunting and find that I have trouble seeing a clear pin in the sight. It seems that even squinting doesn't clear it up. To me it looks like a double point. This gives me a wind age spread of the arrows of 6-8" at 40 yards. Anybody got a cure? Thanks Tom
    WELL i will have to agree with the trad shooters here... learn to shoot instinct first. you can still use the wheels. but if you know where your aiming already... the sight is just conformation...

i make all the kids shoot bare bows for a few year prior to getting sights.. as i learned too.. and it takes VERY little to pick up a re curve or long bow and get back to instinct again... the only draw back is you are on a LONGER learning curve...

other then that try different sights.. perhaps a single pin would be less confusing. and easier to focus on.. ?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyhunter17 View Post
    Jus had to say it didnt you... HAHAHA

Sorry couldn't help it. Besides my bowyer needs some work.

My dad had to shoot with tri focales and it helped him.

www.specialtyarch.com maks a peep called a super ball peep that takes small lenses. They sell one called a verifier peep that is designed to make your pins come into focus.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

OK in addition to all the other gadgets bolted to a compound bow now you guys are putting reading glasses in the string!?!

Women maybe from Venus and men from Mars but, trad archers and compounds archers aren't even in the same solar system!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Algonquin

Never used a pin sight but I sure can relate to eyes that don't like multiple focal length viewing. Getting the foreground and back ground in focus becomes much harder for us all as we grow older.....shooting instinctively would seem to make a great deal of sense to me as there is no foreground pin to focus on.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default trad

I gotta agree with the trad guys here. I shoot trad and have found that contacts for distance and shooting trad, instinctive is the way to go. You have to learn how to do it and it will take some time and effort but is well worth it. The satisfaction is uncomparable. Plus it is cheaper and less complicated.

JMHO $.02

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    I gotta agree with the trad guys here. I shoot trad and have found that contacts for distance and shooting trad, instinctive is the way to go. You have to learn how to do it and it will take some time and effort but is well worth it. The satisfaction is uncomparable. Plus it is cheaper and less complicated.

JMHO $.02
    Cheaper???? Well, I guess it depends. You don't have to buy all the doodads and such, but a good handmade bow will still run you about 6-900. Even some of the factory made Bears, Martins, etc will still run you a good 5-600. Of course I don't know many of the compound prices other than a Matthews my buddy paid $1100 for.

check out Norm Johnsons Blacktail Elite. He's out of Reedsport, Oregon. gorgeous bows.

I've got a local guy here that makes mine. He does real good work. It's called cold mountain long bows. He doesn't have a website. The bows he makes are similar to some others I've seen for 2/3 the price

AKbound2010

Brand new Fedora hunter $425. price soars with custom woods and lams but very affordable in a hand made custom take down from a company with 30+ years experience. The Toelke whip has a base of $650 and again is one of the finest looking and shooting R/D longbows available. Yes there are customs like "Black Swan" and "Harrison long bows" that run $900+, but they are the Ferrari of trad, lots of great bowyers out there who are more realistic with there pricing.

Also folks continue to under estimate the joy of owning and shooting classic bows. Same quality as many of today's "customs" with half the price tag. One of the best shooting and most "valuable" bows I have in my collection cost me $60 at a yard sale. From the look on the guys face he thought he got the deal of a lifetime for that bow.........it's real market value is just a bit higher! There is also the personal connection side of collecting my collection is built around me and my wife's birth years. Turns out 1967 is a important year in the Bear bow line so there are lots of beautiful bows to chase, the 1967 polar being one of the best looking target bows of all time. The 1967 super Kodiak and super mag are definitely distinctive and innovative as well. It would be ungentlemanly of me to post my wife's birth year but the 70's sure had allot of weird colored wood!
    BHA Member

[QUOTE=Rick P;627730]AKbound2010

Yes there are customs like "Black Swan" and "Harrison long bows" that run $900+, but they are the Ferrari of trad, lots of great bowyers out there who are more realistic with there pricing.

I need to get some pictures up of "our" bows. I just help more or less. He does good custom for work for a good price.

Smile Cheaper?

Yes , cheaper. If you shop around and don't have to have some thing fancy you can get set up for hunting ANYTHING on this continent for less than $300/ $400 easy. Look at ebay , garage sales etc.

Advice and help from a knowadgable and experienced archer is also invaluable and cheap. AND FUN!~!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so???? why????? does a guy have to go buy a new bow to learn to shoot instictively? sound like he already has a bow and the argument is more to sway him to what everyone thinks is "the best way" as the only way....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've just never thought about shooting a compound without sights. I guess it's possible. Just never thought about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast