Thread: best caliber 4 predator hunting and other ?

Default best caliber 4 predator hunting and other ?

I am looking to start calling and that means i will need a predator rifle. I want to use it for everything fox to wolves hopefully.

I was thinking of the 243 I want something easy to handload low recoil and fun to shoot.

I really dont want an ar type rifle so any sugestions as to rifle and caliber and why that particular set up?

My next questions are what number buckshot would you use calling in lynx and coyote ? I may try my shotgun also .

Thanks for answering

I'm in the same process of choosing myself. I have decided on .243 because it is perfect for predators and blacktail deer, and my son already has one. I've already got dies, so I can handload for both mine and my son's. I've been researching different rifles, and I think it will come down to how much $$ I've got when the time comes to purchase. I like the idea of a sub-moa factory rifle, and weatherby's vanguard sub-moa in .243 is in the $700 range. It will be interesting to see what other folks recommend here.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default caliber

IMO if you are after pelts a 243 is to much for fox,lynx and yotes. I shoot a 223 with 55 gr fmj and have good luck. I wouldnt hesitate to use it on wolves. As for buck shot for yotes and lynx its overkill. Ive killed 70-80 yotes with T shot and it works fine. Hillbilly

would t shot work on lynx also and at what range are you shooting them ? thanks

I shot my lynx at 10 yards with 00 buck and it was way too much. I would say that T or BB would be best.

As for a rifle, I use a .243 with 80gr FMJ's. Haven't shot anything with it yet but I will fill everyone in on the damage.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Wow, a .243 is a lot of gun for a fox or lynx. Like hillbilly said don't count on a good pelt condition. Tough to compromise; a gun that you want to anchor a deer and one that will take it easy on something the size of a fox.

Default Guns

Id say if your looking to just kill the animal the gun you have, if you know how to use it. To keep a good pelt .223 .243 22-250, main thing is try to get a lead that doesnt mushroom out and blow the pelt up, an bullet that stays together will be better, Shotgun loads I would say a #4 in 20 gauge

T shot works great for lynx.. I will intentionally aim a little high if its under 25 yard due to the way my SG patterns so they don't take the full load as for rifle a 243 will work, Use FMJ bullets for a pass through with little pelt damage. I personally like the 22-250 but also shoot a bushmaster 223 AR platform. I like to shoot 50 or 55 grain V-Max's out of them loaded with 24.3 grains of H332 or H335 in the 223 or 34.6 grains of Varget in the 22-250.

Default If i had my choice

with a 12 gauge i would use #4 for fox and lynx and t shot for lynx and yotes. Ive shot yotes at 70 yards wth a Benalli Nova, extra full turkey choke, with t shot. Its awesome! As twors said up close dont aim center mass. Hillbilly

Default .243 TC Pro Hunter

Haven't shot anything (predators) with the my pro hunter yet but like my option to change the barrel if need be. I actually just got done loading up some Barnes Varmit Grenades with 39.3 gr of Varget and seems like it should work good. Have an uncle down south that has shot coyotes with it before and says they preform well and doesn't tear up pelts at all. Also like you said being able to step up to a larger load has it's advantages.

Blake, are you all set-up to reload? Since when?! Cant believe you're holdin' out on me like this....

The 243 Win is one I would love to try on predators. Unfrotunately, the quantity of game eludes me and I do not have a rifle in 243.

IMHO, it's tough to beat the 223. It's so versatile, deadly, cheap to load, and can be fur friendly with the right bullet/load. A 55gr Speer FMJ under 3000fps dropped me a coyote last winter at 75 yards and I was impressed with the results. That was a very fur friendly load, and out of both my rifles it hits the target at sub moa. I can't complain.

If you want explosive results a 223 can do that too.

I like the Tikka T3 Lite in .223/5.56mm.

there is really no 1 perfect caliber as critters come in all shapes & sizes so do firearms, lucky for us if we can financially afford to we are able to buy a multitude of calibers to fit any situation, now as to answer you questions i will offer my personal opinions, any of the .22 centerfires will perform well but i would lean towards either a 22.250 or a .220 swift, they will reach out & touch game, perform MOA accuracy or better & with proper bullet selection you should be able to keep fur damage to an accecptable tollerance but you should learn to sew because you will need to repair some hides it's just inevitable that it's going to happen. As for shotguning a tight choked barrel shooting T shot for coyotes & #4's for foxes & lynx. The more important aspect of predator hunting is to practice shooting whatever weapon you choose & practice PROPERLY & often, pay attention to the wind, pass up the location if the wind isnt right, do not educate predators with such poor judgement by alerting them to your presence before you even get set up, hunt often, you cant kill predators if your at home on the couch or sitt'n in the bar. Well good luck & good hunting, post some pics when when you get your first critters.

I carry two rifles for calling depending on the situation or range of shot I us a 17hmr for tight close shots and a 223 wssm for wolves and coyotes at anything past 100yds anything bigger and your gonna be doing some sewing

The ones of you that reload can slow your bullets down and cause less fur damage than a bullet loaded to max or near max loads. If you can get the speed of the bullet matched to the animal your calling you will get little pelt damage. This means more time calling, less time sewing. Do any of yor load slower for less pelt damage?

Barnes has 75 gr. solids in .243 that should be fur friendly. I've used the 90 gr. out of my .257 Roberts without problems.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    IMO if you are after pelts a 243 is to much for fox,lynx and yotes. I shoot a 223 with 55 gr fmj and have good luck. I wouldnt hesitate to use it on wolves. As for buck shot for yotes and lynx its overkill. Ive killed 70-80 yotes with T shot and it works fine. Hillbilly
    You can always download the 243 to min loads, and/or you could use FMJ.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default 243 thoughts

For fox & cats I'd stay far, far away from the traditional varmint bullets.

V-max and v-grenades would be OK for a 'yote, but still might sew more than I like.

Personally I'm not fond of FMJ's or solids. Works for others, just not for me.

My personal favorite for everything (that a 243 is good for) is a green & yellow box of 100 or 105 grainers. Good on everything from Deer and smaler.

Ok, Ok .... so you're not gonna be smokin along for a flatter trajectory at distances further than most should be shooting...... but, you will learn your rifle/load combo and become a D@MN fine shot with that rifle/bullet combo.

They don't seem to open up on the lighter skinned animals (fox, 'yotes, cats) but they do work as designed on Caribou, deer, sheep, antelope ect......

smaller stuff you CAN shoulder shoot without worry of exploding things into an ugly mess requiring hours of stitching (been there done that) and anything that's hooved gets it in the lungs.

Personally, I'd probably shoot a premium 90 grainer and call it good. Barnes TTSX, Nos Partition or the like would be MY goto boolit for the 243.

Call me crazy, it's been said before.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I was thinking of the 243 I want something easy to handload low recoil and fun to shoot.

My next questions are what number buckshot would you use calling in lynx and coyote ? I may try my shotgun also .
    Well, I don't recommend the 50cal muzzle loader. Does terrible things to the hide. Personnaly ruined a beautiful red and gray plet with one.

The 243 is a vary versital round and will probably do all the things you are asking for.

Buckshot is overkill on smaller animals like lynx and coyote. At Fort Bliss Texas I used BB, and six shot on coyotes. Within forty yards both were deadly on the little dogs. We often jumped the dogs at close range while walking arond the mesquite mounds while rabbit hunting. It doesn't take much to kill them.