Thread: Trapper creek hunting question

Default Trapper creek hunting question

I'm looking at possibly buying a parcel of land on Trapper Creek (west of Parks hwy). I haven't been to it yet, but am looking at making a day of it and getting out there. How's the moose and other hunting in that area? Is the river navigatable in a canoe west of the Parks hwy? Anyone hunting there w/ info to provide would be helpful.

thanks Billy

I was in that area in August with my son when I was home on R&R leave. We were there for about 5 days, and although we did see some signs, we saw zero big game animals, and we glassed for hours from a couple of different high vantage points. I think due to the prevalence of human presence (We were mostly around the Cache Creek prospecting area) the moose in particular are pretty skittish. An old prospector who has been there for 40+ years told me that there used to be plenty of bears, but the salmon haven't been running since the flood 4 years ago, so there haven't been many bears lately either.

The rut is a different story though - some friends of mine shot a decent bull up there during the rut. I suspect it's just a matter of finding access to the areas that are normally devoid of human presence. I love the area, and I'm planning to buy property up there myself for a hunting cabin.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Swamp Land

Be careful buying land in that area in the winter. There is an awful lot of wet and swampy land there. Even if the parcel you are buying is dry, there could be access problems when the ground is not frozen. Much of the remote land bought in Alaska has never been seen by the owners even if they are Alaska residents.
    There are a fair number of moose and lots of bears in the general area, but it gets heavily hunted by both road hunters and atv hunters.
    Good luck

Default trapper creek

trapper creek is a very small creek and I highly doubt you could float a canoe down it, much less a raft. most of the land that i have seen along trapper creek is small, scrubby, black spruce (fairly thick) and very wet, boggy ground.

Trapper creek is fairly long- it runs from about milepost 131 down to about 114.
    What area are you looking at.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I'm looking at possibly buying a parcel of land on Trapper Creek (west of Parks hwy). I haven't been to it yet, but am looking at making a day of it and getting out there. How's the moose and other hunting in that area? Is the river navigable in a canoe west of the Parks hwy? Anyone hunting there w/ info to provide would be helpful.

thanks Billy

to expand on the general answerers you are getting.. trapper creek is a good starting point for a recreational adveture...

the creek is self is a small creek.. however..

a few minutes by car in just about any direction puts you on a navigable stream or river a canoe would work in...

the Susitna river is near by, along with many tributary's to it.

unit 16 has moose hunting available and should be getting better over the years with the intensive predator control going on there now..

peters ville access is near by. and the talkeetna mountains are behind you to the east. with a caribou draw available..

forum members Alaskantrapper, AKDoug, and Roger would be good resources to PM and ask about as they all have time in or near that area as residents.

keep in mind that many of us will consider an area.. a rather wide swath around the little community it self.. trapper creek and Chulitna area's have become popular the last decade as recreational cabin areas, for winter snowmobiles and summer /fall hunters though driving the highway through it may make it appear desolate and uninhabitaded... there are MANY many cabins and home steads in those woods.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Drop me a P.M on where it is located ,I hang out in that area all summer with my airboat tours, Lots of bears. And my neighbor runs a trapline up there in the winter.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I shot a 7 foot black bear about a mile from there a couple of julys ago. I've seen alot of moose and bear action in that area.

If you were a little more specific as to the area I could tell you a little more. From the point where Trapper Creek crosses the parks to the west you have about 20 miles of creek to it's head waters. The chulitna and it's upper tributaries are navigable for boats, the large area you speak of, you maybe able to float an inner tube in but their are no places for any type of boat, canoe, raft, wind jammer etc. The hunting for moose has gone from good to suck ass with all the bears in the area, but on the other hand bears are all over. hope this helps some I've lived here for 30 years and could go one rambling for a long time.

Thanks for all the tips, on the crappy map it looks to be about at mile 119, 1.5-2.5 miles west of the parks, a couple miles north of trapper creek (town) and it states less than a mile north of trapper lake. Realtor also states that it is close to groomes trails? This place is located on the east side of the creek, said to be heavily wooded and high and dry. 5 acres on the creek and asking $8,500.00. What do you fellas think? I'm wanting to hike out there w/ the wife next saturday and make a day of it. Bears are cool, I love hunting them, moose even better. Looking to build a cabin w/ the family and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Please comment on the area if known.

Thanks Billy Jack

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    Thanks for all the tips, on the crappy map it looks to be about at mile 119, 1.5-2.5 miles west of the parks, a couple miles north of trapper creek (town) and it states less than a mile north of trapper lake. Realtor also states that it is close to groomes trails? This place is located on the east side of the creek, said to be heavily wooded and high and dry. 5 acres on the creek and asking $8,500.00. What do you fellas think? I'm wanting to hike out there w/ the wife next saturday and make a day of it. Bears are cool, I love hunting them, moose even better. Looking to build a cabin w/ the family and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Please comment on the area if known.

Thanks Billy Jack
    Do you have GPS coordinates of the corners? I have had a hard enough time locating properties in wasilla and palmer that I can imagine it being very challenging to do it out in the stick!

No lat/long yet, not until I see the realtor. I found it on the bourough's wed site. It's 5 miles north of Petersville rd and 2 miles west of the the Parks hwy. It's on Hugo loop.

All I know for a fact is there is plenty of bears in that area both black and brown, i've took a few out of there. Moose, not the best moose hunting area, lots of pressure but there is definitely a possibility. I like that area.