Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suture Kit

Default Suture Kit

Any local recommendations?

Do you carry one? **** does happen, I've seen a guy ram a drop point half way through his forearm, suture kit owuld have been nice..so into my bag one will go.

Where'd you buy yours? Somethin compact, lightweight.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have one from years ago that was picked up from a veterinary supply store. Catgut and all.

Other option is to get one from any of the medical supply houses that are in Anchorage, etc... I've seen them there as well.

I don't know if any of the other outdoor stores carry them, I don't remember seeing anything like that in the first aid sections of Sportsmans & the like.

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    I have one from years ago that was picked up from a veterinary supply store. Catgut and all.

Other option is to get one from any of the medical supply houses that are in Anchorage, etc... I've seen them there as well.

I don't know if any of the other outdoor stores carry them, I don't remember seeing anything like that in the first aid sections of Sportsmans & the like.
    Yeah, most local outdoors shops assume that you won't open yourself up to the point a needle is necessary. I checked some of the local (anch) med stores as well, no luck.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talk to your doc, maybe they can supply you with some suture.

Honestly, you can do a good job with steristrips, benzoin, and a good supportive bandage. This is less risky (think infections) and easier for layman to do.

Default You can get suture here:

"If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I ordered this one earlier this week from Mountaingear.com. I also got some of the Quickclot. I don't have any of it yet so can't comment on quality.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr...m/215316/N/957

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i carry them i am handy with my knife on my own fingers. have pulled bungiee stakes out of my dad out on adak. seen cheeks split by branches,

you do not have to be good with a needle.. it may leave a scar.. but a day or two to the ER is a long way.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The med supply was an option as I've seen them there in the past. They must have updated policies to prevent that getting to the wrong hands, or expiration date issues. Who knows.

There's other good links that can get you what you are looking for. I'd rather have it and not have to use it then be looking for it in the woods one day.

...I got ahold of some sort of military medical field pack some years ago, I think from Tasco?- with suture kit-

-you can use your own hair to sew yourself up with- less chance of infection, I've heard...(if your hair is clean, I guess?)

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ...I got ahold of some sort of military medical field pack some years ago, I think from Tasco?- with suture kit-

-you can use your own hair to sew yourself up with- less chance of infection, I've heard...(if your hair is clean, I guess?)
    Hrm. I don't know about that...I would think that you'd end up with the same type of irritation and potential infection you get from an ingrown hair...and it'd be tough (if not impossible) to pull a stitch because the hair would just break.

I think I would stick to regular stitches that can be pulled in a few days.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

you can use your own hair to sew yourself up with- less chance of infection, I've heard...(if your hair is clean, I guess?)
    You haven't seen my hairdo.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Default Go with a stapler

A better option is a stapler. These are available to the general public through vet suppliers. A suture tray is actually a "prescription" item, plus they are bulky and require some training and practice to use correctly. And unless you're going to carry some lidocaine or similar to numb the wound, putting in sutures will be a torture that makes waterboarding look like great fun. And sewing on yourself would be very difficult, if not impossible, for most people.

A stapler is very compact and lightweight and has enough staples in it to close up some very sizable wounds. While it will still hurt, inserting staples is a fairly quick operation that will be done with in short order. You just line up the edges of the cleaned wound, press the tip of the stapler to the skin and squeeze the lever. You can do it to yourself if you need to.

You can use the stapler as a temporary solution to close a wound for an extended transport to a hospital to get it taken care of correctly. The hospital has the special staple remover and can quickly open the wound back up to do a good, sterile cleaning and then close it up correctly with sutures.

Staplers are also very cheap. You can find them online for about $10-20 each. The vets use the exact same thing that the doc at the hospital uses.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by KClark View Post
    You haven't seen my hairdo.
    ...Ummm...you aren't one of those Girdwood snowboarders, are you??

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Hrm. I don't know about that...I would think that you'd end up with the same type of irritation and potential infection you get from an ingrown hair...and it'd be tough (if not impossible) to pull a stitch because the hair would just break.

I think I would stick to regular stitches that can be pulled in a few days.
    ...You know.....you seem really nice....(REALLY nice)...-but;- I think I did just fine.... with taking an educated foresight and gamble; with having an unattended home birth in Seward, August 2nd 2005.....ONLY: WHAT WAS I THINKING????..-SHEEP SEASON????!--

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    A better option is a stapler. These are available to the general public through vet suppliers. A suture tray is actually a "prescription" item, plus they are bulky and require some training and practice to use correctly. And unless you're going to carry some lidocaine or similar to numb the wound, putting in sutures will be a torture that makes waterboarding look like great fun. And sewing on yourself would be very difficult, if not impossible, for most people.

A stapler is very compact and lightweight and has enough staples in it to close up some very sizable wounds. While it will still hurt, inserting staples is a fairly quick operation that will be done with in short order. You just line up the edges of the cleaned wound, press the tip of the stapler to the skin and squeeze the lever. You can do it to yourself if you need to.

You can use the stapler as a temporary solution to close a wound for an extended transport to a hospital to get it taken care of correctly. The hospital has the special staple remover and can quickly open the wound back up to do a good, sterile cleaning and then close it up correctly with sutures.

Staplers are also very cheap. You can find them online for about $10-20 each. The vets use the exact same thing that the doc at the hospital uses.
    ...yeah, but.....you're the closest...-lol-hey, peninsula buddy--

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i carry them i am handy with my knife on my own fingers. have pulled bungiee stakes out of my dad out on adak. seen cheeks split by branches,

you do not have to be good with a needle.. it may leave a scar.. but a day or two to the ER is a long way.
    .....ummm....tell your wife-"Hi", and; and we've got it covered-YIKES!--now, that's pretty hard core....

-is that for real?-

Default I have a different approach

I clean the wound with colloidial silver and close it with super glue. It works every time and every where.I have never seen ill effects and the super glue holds just long enough to let the skin heal . There have even been products that were called liquid bandaid that work quite the same.
    It is quicker safer and easier than any other method. the super glue is easily gotten and a fresh container is always in my pack. the colloidial silver is easy to make , or you can get it from a health food store. internally or externally it is the most effective anti biotic I have ever used .every thing heals faster. As a mechanic you get cut all the time so I have had lots of practice with every thing else on the market. but when a friend of mine introduced me to the silver I was more than convinced.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

.....ummm....tell your wife-"Hi", and; and we've got it covered-YIKES!--now, that's pretty hard core....

-is that for real?-

yeah thats for real... when i was about 7 out on Adak. my dad stepped into a hole that had the sharpened sticks in it from WWII it went in through his rubber boot rolled in the sole and pierced the fleshy part of the sole of his foot.. to this day i can hear my dad screech at me ...and to this day he swears i twisted it out...

about 12 years ago we were out in the spring time on a friends grizz hunt on the snow goes up Denali area...hunting no helmets.. and scooting along the trail on e of my friends got distracted and looked back to take a branch across the face. in the cold his cheek split open nearly 3 inches an almost 1/4-3/8 deep bleed like a piglet too...

though we did not have the stuff then to sew a guy up we sure wished we had...

over the years there have been many times a suture could have come in handy... the most memorable on my self.?

4 inch grinder with the chain saw blade on it for dishing out log bowls and notches.... ran up my index finger of my left hand... not sure how many times i have tried to remove that finger... but looking at it here typing i see at least 4

i have used super glue also. an keep a bottle for light cuts handy.. but i always plan for the big nasty stick in the leg type of fall.. and then have to get out. i dont know that glue would hold it that long... and a sterile #3 or two weigh nothing...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Alaska law requires specific items to be included in aircraft survival gear. One of those items is a sewing kit. It ain't in case you want to hem a pair of jeans! For my capabilities a curved needle and sewing thread are sufficient to deal with a field emergency.

Use the "QuickClot" sparingly! It's a chemical cauterizer that reacts with moisture, and although it might stop the bleeding, the doc is going to have to cut out everything that the powder (or sponge, if you get that style) came into contact with when you get back to civilization. Get some of that stuff into your eyes or mouth, and you're going to have a whole new set of problems. Think of it as a very weighty trade-off, not a miracle bandage.

Personally, I'd recommend super glue. Thats what its for, isn't it?
    Χάρις υμίν καί είρήνη άπό θεου...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast