Thread: What are the effects of Cold weather on animals?

Default What are the effects of Cold weather on animals?

How does the extreme cold effect different animals? I am really interested in how temps below -20 effect fur and game animals, such as moose, caribou, wolves, lynx and so on.

Do they hunker down and wait out the low temps for a while and only venture out and about when hunger drives them or does it have no effect? If it does effect their movements; at what temp does it effect them and for what critter?

In the reverse; does a spike in warmer temps get animals up and moving?

I know these might sound like noobie questions, but I have no experience hunting in such extreme temps.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well the large animals tend to hole up in an area with browse and will feed in that area and not expend a lot of energy while the predators will do the same the colder it gets the better the calling is because they are HUNGRY!!!

a warm spike will in fact make every thing move about after a sever cold snap. new feeding areas to be found before the next snap i in the interior they tend t pull up the hills and get above the inversion layer to find warmer air to bed in. we can in-fact have 30 degrees warmer up high then along the rivers and flats.

spring time is the time to be very aware of the cow moose and such.. as the weather warms the snow gets more difficult to navigate, they have lost the fat reserves and are grumpy...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Cold Animals

I am not sure what they all do but I will tell you that up around the Fairbanks area a lot of the moose will head up in the hills (highground). I know that this sounds odd but believe it or not it is sometimes as much as 15 to 20 degrees warmer at the higher elevations.

Thumbs up

Their hair gets longer.
    Their blood gets pasty.
    They slow down.
    They change their diets.
    Each species deals with the cold and its effect in it's own way, but cold temps have a negative impact on all of them.
    Warm spells often do allow them to move around some, but it also serves to make them burn calories that they will need for the next cold snap.

Human interaction with animals during winter is the most damaging and harmful thing going. It is not good to mess with them in winter. Photographers, callers, veiwers, biologists and would be animal dogooders kill a lot of animals in winter because they stress them out and force them to burn calories. Best thing you can do for animals in winter that you don't want to kill, is to leave them alone and give them a wide berth. Now predators on the other hand should be pursued and rattled at every opportunity. If you get on a single fox or a pack of wolves, you should give them chase and kill as many as possible. The longer hair on the predators in winter is enough to make them worth killing, but the side effect of saving a prey animal that they would have eaten is the real benefit.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default depends...

There is cold weather and then there is real cold Alaskan weather. There is a big difference between -10 and -50, especially if the wind is blowing. But for the most part, moose & caribou handel cold real well. Snow depth can cause them trouble. If we get a couple of feet of snow and then some warm weaher and rain and then some freezing weather and more snow it is hard traveling for them. They burn lots of energy under those conditions. Those kind of conditions are more prevelant in South Centeral Alaska. Alaska's interior may be colder, but the moose caribou do fine with it.

NorthWest Alaska

Cold weather, causes some animals to migrate the hell over to the warm side of the Earth, some to hibernate, some go out to hunt the ocean ice, some to change colors (mostly white), and all else gets to thicken up their fur.
    Cold weather tells Caribou when to rut and others to leave, or change diet.
    Many migrate to better pasteure, some to higher ground , some to lower grounds.
    Moose tend to bunch up into groups of 10 -30 around here , and work together in the deep snow to make cleard feeding places.
    Caribou herds will paw out large ammounts of snow and they will work an area untill they have to move, because of having eaten up the goods, predators or weather changes.

Now DEEP cold can be real fun
    -40 and were looking for Wolves and Fox, Wolverine, because at that deep of cold, they are constantly moving to stay warm. Caribou will bunch up for warmth too, and no animal can run at more ethan a trot, and if you can endure a couple days at -45, you can come home with a sled load of fur.
    Easy shooting

We have a place I call "on High" where we drink Coffee and smoke untill we see something moving. Then Me and my pard, if I have one, will decend as death.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....