Thread: Kenai Caribou

Default Kenai Caribou

I am putting in for the draw for next year and in hopes that I get it was going to start trying to get information on the area. I have info on Resurrection Trail but I am looking for a little more specific information now.

I know some of you are unwilling to share information on your specific hunting areas but I was just wondering if any one has heard about caribou being taken near the headwaters of East Creek. I have been looking into a few others near American Pass, Palmer Creek, and west of Swan Lake and Trout Lake.

If you are willing to help me out I would appreciate it. If you don't want to post it on here you can PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Default Kenai Caribou

Call The biologist in soldotna, they fly the range a few times a year to see where they are.

Caribou are found from side to side and top to bottom in the Kenai Mountains, but generally at very low densities. Success rates on this hunt range from 5-10% (generally closer to 5%). Location hunted is less important that miles hiked, in my experience. Most of the hunters that win this permit don't hunt it, and of those that do many only hunt it for a few days and quit due to the discouragement of not seeing a single caribou. Again, densities are low and one cannot expect to see the numbers of caribou that you would in other caribou hunting areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Caribou are found from side to side and top to bottom in the Kenai Mountains, but generally at very low densities. Success rates on this hunt range from 5-10% (generally closer to 5%). Location hunted is less important that miles hiked, in my experience. Most of the hunters that win this permit don't hunt it, and of those that do many only hunt it for a few days and quit due to the discouragement of not seeing a single caribou. Again, densities are low and one cannot expect to see the numbers of caribou that you would in other caribou hunting areas.

And some hunt it for a few hours, find caribou, shoot, and are back home for dinner.

Search the hunting forum on this topic. There are many, many threads on this hunt.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    And some hunt it for a few hours, find caribou, shoot, and are back home for dinner.

Search the hunting forum on this topic. There are many, many threads on this hunt.

and then does it again the next weekend across the state..................
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Maybe I should change my screen name to The Caribou Whisperer? Sometimes a man gets lucky.

Caribou have been taken in East Creek and the Summit Creek Trail is pretty mild. This would make for a good overnighter or three day weekend.

Your better bet would be to hunt the mountains between Swan Lake and American Creek and around the headwaters of Chickaloon River. Other good drainages include Moose and Hungry.

Per Fish and Game, caribou will rarely be found south of Trout Lake or Falls Creek. To the north the Rimrock or Bedrock area is limit. Caribou can be found to the east side of the Resurrection Trail but the majority of their time is spent on the west side.

F&G doesn't fly any caribou surveys but they fly goat survey's and make notes of how many caribou they may see and where. The problem is, the bou don't hang out very long before they're moving again.

Ain't no Caribou on the Kenai.........Cause the brown bears that ain't there either done ate them.........The rest were just DLP........