Thread: 375 Hand H

Default 375 Hand H

What is the best round for moose?

Default so many...

You can take your pick. A tough 270 to 300 grain bullet will work fine. The Nosler Partition, Barnes X, Swift A Frame, Hornaday Interlock, Remington CoreLokt, etc. Any one of the first 3 is my top choice. Lots of .375 H&H shooters on this forum. So you should get some different opinions.

I think about any thing you can get in .375H&H would work just fine on a moose.

250gr Federal softpoints, 260gr Accubonds, any of the Remington Core lokts, Partitions up to the 300+ grain heavyweights from Woodleigh, etc should do the trick nicely. The nice thing about the H&H is that its really too much gun for up here... but thats why it works so well so much of the time with such a variety of ammo.

Personally, for moose I don't really think you even need a "premium" bullet. At .375 H&H velocities a plain jane SP ought to give you great bullet performance- they've had 100 years to get it right. I'd save the premium gas for Cape Buffalo.

My very first moose I shot with my ZKK-602 with Federal Classic 300 grain softs. Bullet penetrated the ribcage and entered the rumen and stopped. I was roughly 30 feet from the moose. I like the copper bullets, they penetrate.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Anything you shoot out of a 375 is going to do the job on a moose they are very easy to kill and a 375 has a lot of umph behind it regardles of the bullet used.

If you are looking at factory loaded ammo anything Federal sells in 270gr or 300gr bullets will work fine.

If reloading then look at barnes, noslers partitions, a-frames, trophy bonded bear claws, hawk, kodiak, etc.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

The penetration with 300 grain TSX is outstanding, but as others have said it will be pretty hard to find a bullet/load combo that doesn't work. That said I see no reason not to go with big permium bullets on a large animal like a moose. Nosler partition, Swift A-frame, or Barnes TSX.

Brett

I would not use Winchester silver tips for sure if the range is close.I had one that was a total blow up at twenty yards on a small black bear with about a half inch penetration

Default There are many great choices.

So far as I am aware there are no bad choices with factory 375 H&H ammo and NA big game. In my village the one store that carries H&H ammo only carries R-P 270 Core-Lokt and so it's what most use who opt for the 375. IME results are uniformly excellent and I would be hard pressed to look for a better 375 load for moose, though I must say that I've not seen a moose killed with a 375 H&H with a different load. "Premium" bullets would work as well, but I can't say they would be better inside 200 yards. Since I handload I would probably consider using a Hornady 270 Interlock SP or possibly the Sierra 300 GK, but I doubt I would use a "premium" bullet in the H&H.

You have chosen an excellent cartridge. I am a big fan of the .375H&H, and I have used one up here for many, many years. I have taken quite a few moose with it, as well as grizzly bears. I handload, so I can push that bullet pretty fast and accurate, and I don't feel for one minute that I've lost anything to a 300 grainer.

I agree that moose aren't particularly hard to kill, but I disagree with my knowledgeable colleagues in our forum who say that a premium bullet is unnecessary when hunting for moose. I have no doubt that a moose can be cleanly taken with all kinds of bullets, even the silver-tips...but I'm thinking a bit broader. No offense intended to anyone, but we don't hunt moose at the zoo. We hunt them in a much broader environment...an environment where other animals lurk that can put a serious hurtin' on us or those we love. Therefore, I'm loaded for more than just moose during moose season, and I'm loaded with a bullet that can hold together at higher velocities just in case I have to shoot something up close and personal before it eats me or someone with me.

I don't mind the extra expense of premium bullets whatsoever. We are lucky that there are so many great bullets to choose from.

Doc (Chuck)

Default Ooops...

I was in a hurry when I wrote my previous post, and I somehow deleted the part saying that I primarily shoot a 270grn TSX...hopefully it makes more sense.

Doc

Thanks for all the information guys.

Doc has it.....several goos bullets out there but I find the 270 TSX to be an outstanding performer......I use premium bullets so that rifle and ammo are always ready to go should I go after big bears or whatever....

Ok stupid question is the is tsx just the bullet and you have to reload or is it a brand name of bullets you get in the store.

You can get the Barnes TSX bullet factory loaded in Federal Ammo as well as several smaller companies but Federal has the widest distribution. Federal also loads the Nosler Accubond and Partition, Trophy Bonded and some pretty decent conventional bullets in .375

Midway USA is a good place to look at what is available in factory loads. Lots to choose from in .375 H&H.

I'd shoot whichever your rifle likes best. They haven't built a moose yet that can stand up to ANY bullet from a 375 H&H.

The old saying goes, "if there was a best there would only be one". From the posts there are many excellent bullets. Choose one and put it in the boiler room. That usually stops them within 30 feet or so.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=725734 See if this works some reivew,s on them I,m not a Barnes X fan either but they always making improvements. Best groups was 300, boatail Seira, Or horandy interlock, Trouble with these went i shoot the reat in the gun end up being round nose,s from recoil. And the Seiara at close range will shed it,s jacket. Hunting bullet was the 285 grand slam, followed by 300 grain Noslar

Default Timed out

I type to slow got timed out sorry about my spelling sierra/ nosler/ hornady. What i was trying to add is that old African stand by was Win.270 power points,Also i would say that,In my experience Big gun shoot big bullets.Don,t try to make a 338 out of it.250-260 faster Will not perform as well as a slower 270-300-grn.Been there done that. What others have said, Buy some different brands pick the one that shoots the best in your gun Stick with it. Don,t get hooked up on speed thing. Put the bullet where it counts and don,t look back.

I have used the relatively inexpensive remington soft point 270 grain load to harvest several moose. Even with a basic bullet design they all fell over dead as a door nail. Moose are not all that hard to kill with good shot placement. Any factory 375 H&H load will work just fine.

How about a 350grn Woodleigh JSP! Double Tap also offers, TSX, Failsafe, Nosler Partition, and Nosler Accubond in 300grn loads. Some smaller down to 235grns.