Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot Locator update

Default Spot Locator update

I used my Spot from Alaska all the way to San Antonio Tx. We drove the entire way and it worked flawlessly. My friend was updated at every push of the button and it was pretty cool tracking our progress along the way via internet when we stopped for the day.

I give it an A+.

Thanks,
    Doug

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...722&id=1018812

Smokin deal on the spot. Its almost too cheap not to buy one.

Default ? on range

I looked at the map of coverage and it is hard to see Alaska's coverage. How far north has anyone been able to use it. As far as the Brooks or down to cold bay or is it mainly Central coverage?
    Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've personally used a SPOT all the way up to the Yukon river bridge. I've heard of successful use all the way to Brooks, but I've not been that far myself.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...722&id=1018812

Smokin deal on the spot. Its almost too cheap not to buy one.

Dang.. . $35.00 is pretty good i'd think..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I run my SPOT in tracking mode during my regular long distance drives. The wife can view my progress in real time and therefore doesn't have to worry about me as much.

You can see my last couple drives on my Spot Adventures page...

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=185951
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

isnt there a new one with added features?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It is named Spot 2, didn't check out the what the new features were.

There is a new one, but don't buy it yet. They were recalled shortly after hitting the market. I'd suggest waiting until they get this bug worked out.

The new ones are quite a bit smaller and have covers over the help and 911 buttons so you can't accidentally hit them. In addition to the OK/check in message, there is one additional custom message button. If you buy either the roadside or marine assist service, you lose the custom message to that function. If you buy both of the yuppie services, I think you lose the custom message and the help message buttons.

I doubt you'd be able to even use the marine assist message in Alaska (lack of service providers) and the roadside assist would be nearly worthless outside of Los Anchorage.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    There is a new one, but don't buy it yet. They were recalled shortly after hitting the market. I'd suggest waiting until they get this bug worked out.

The new ones are quite a bit smaller and have covers over the help and 911 buttons so you can't accidentally hit them. In addition to the OK/check in message, there is one additional custom message button. If you buy either the roadside or marine assist service, you lose the custom message to that function. If you buy both of the yuppie services, I think you lose the custom message and the help message buttons.

I doubt you'd be able to even use the marine assist message in Alaska (lack of service providers) and the roadside assist would be nearly worthless outside of Los Anchorage.
    There is an even newer product out soon combining a Delorme Earthmate PN-60w. According to the advance literature the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator is a GPS device that works with a satellite communicator, sending custom text messages from beyond the reach of cell phones

The gadget, which combines Spot's Satellite Communicator with Delorme's hardware, is designed with hikers and other remote adventurers in mind. In places where cell towers don't exist, the device can send text messages, contact emergency services, and pinpoint its exact location for others. But it's not just an emergency device; the PN-60w also lets users update their location through social networking services, including Facebook, Twitter, SPOTadventures.com, and Geocaching.com.

As near as I can understand this allows you to send a text message using the data channel on the satellites that SPOT uses. You still get the normal SPOT options of track, check in, help, 911 as well as the ability to send the text message from the PN-60w. It is 2 devices. This is the link.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18588...ones_cant.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    There is an even newer product out soon combining a Delorme Earthmate PN-60w. According to the advance literature the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator is a GPS device that works with a satellite communicator, sending custom text messages from beyond the reach of cell phones

The gadget, which combines Spot's Satellite Communicator with Delorme's hardware, is designed with hikers and other remote adventurers in mind. In places where cell towers don't exist, the device can send text messages, contact emergency services, and pinpoint its exact location for others. But it's not just an emergency device; the PN-60w also lets users update their location through social networking services, including Facebook, Twitter, SPOTadventures.com, and Geocaching.com.

As near as I can understand this allows you to send a text message using the data channel on the satellites that SPOT uses. You still get the normal SPOT options of track, check in, help, 911 as well as the ability to send the text message from the PN-60w. It is 2 devices. This is the link.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18588...ones_cant.html
    Okay, THAT is cool. I have a delorme PN-20 and I've been wanting a PLB or a SPOT, something that I could use to signal for help. My PN-20 is a bit beat up and so I had been eyeballing the PN-40 but looks like I'll hold out for the PN-60...depending on what the service charges are going to be. Delorme's are usually $400+. If I then have to pay $150 a year in service fees to SPOT, I'd be better off just buying an ACR PLB or something where I pay once and then have service for the life of the product.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

here the latest fro the delorme:all your questions answered... plus the price is also listed..

• The Earthmate PN-60 will retail for $399.
    • The Earthmate PN-60w will retail for $449.
    • The bundled PN-60w and SPOT Communicator will retail for $549.
    • The standard SPOT annual subscription costs $100 with Tracking and Messaging for roughly $50 each.
    • I’ve heard a few ways to look at the annual subscription… my favorite breaks it down to about $17 a month.
    • Unfortunately there will not be a trade-in program for existing PN-Series users to upgrade.
    • All components of this project, the PN-60w, SPOT Communicator, Topo USA 9.0, Worldwide Aerial Imagery, and DeLorme World Vectors are scheduled for a May 1st release.

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/19/p...on-and-answer/

here it comes...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I have been looking for a reason to get a new GPS but couldn't justify it because the one I have works so darn well. Well it looks like I may finally have a reason. I can't wait to actually see one in action! I think this may take a healthy hit out of the sat phone industry or better yet drive the costs of them down some!

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    here the latest fro the delorme:all your questions answered... plus the price is also listed..

• The Earthmate PN-60 will retail for $399.
    • The Earthmate PN-60w will retail for $449.
    • The bundled PN-60w and SPOT Communicator will retail for $549.
    • The standard SPOT annual subscription costs $100 with Tracking and Messaging for roughly $50 each.
    • I’ve heard a few ways to look at the annual subscription… my favorite breaks it down to about $17 a month.
    • Unfortunately there will not be a trade-in program for existing PN-Series users to upgrade.
    • All components of this project, the PN-60w, SPOT Communicator, Topo USA 9.0, Worldwide Aerial Imagery, and DeLorme World Vectors are scheduled for a May 1st release.

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/19/p...on-and-answer/

here it comes...
    Well that's disappointing.

All I want is a way to signal for help in an emergency. The GPS handles storing my tracks, which I download later onto maps and save them. The person who would want to know where I am in real-time is already there with me. A $100 annual subscription to SPOT just to have an emergency beacon doesn't make good economic sense to me. Looks like I'm better off sticking with a non-bundled Delorme and just buy an ACR Personal Locator Beacon or similar where you pay once for the PLB you don't have to pay an annual subscription to call for help. Honestly SPOT's annual fees just seem like a rip-off.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Smile PLB

Deedee: I hate subscription fees also. You might look at these as they are much smaller and cheaper than the ACR and its a well known british company.

http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/products/pr...oduct_sector=4
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Deedee: I hate subscription fees also. You might look at these as they are much smaller and cheaper than the ACR and its a well known british company.

http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/products/pr...oduct_sector=4
    Sollybug-

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Well that's disappointing.

All I want is a way to signal for help in an emergency. The GPS handles storing my tracks, which I download later onto maps and save them. The person who would want to know where I am in real-time is already there with me. A $100 annual subscription to SPOT just to have an emergency beacon doesn't make good economic sense to me. Looks like I'm better off sticking with a non-bundled Delorme and just buy an ACR Personal Locator Beacon or similar where you pay once for the PLB you don't have to pay an annual subscription to call for help. Honestly SPOT's annual fees just seem like a rip-off.
    Insurance premiums are also a rip off, until you need them.

If all you want is to signal for help in an emergency then I agree, I don't think the SPOT is the product for you.

Where the SPOT comes into it own is in the ability to send information on where you are and that everything is OK. This is the ability that I bought the SPOT for. My wife is happier when she doesn't have to worry. I am happier when my wife is happy. Same with the kids, knowing all is well helps when stuff happens and they are delayed.

Add the ability to send short specific text messages as well and the usefulness of the product increases. Need an early pickup, send a text message. Need a pick up in a different area, send a text message.

This is a different use than an Personal Locator Beacon. There are better and more dependable emergency devices than the SPOT.

Is it worth the cost? That becomes the true question and is a personal one. Is a Glacier Graft worth the money? Is a Hewescraft worth the money? Is a canoe worth the money? They are to someone, not to everyone.

If someone didn't already have a GPS and a SPOT and wanted one of each, this combo would be hard to resist. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    Insurance premiums are also a rip off, until you need them.

If all you want is to signal for help in an emergency then I agree, I don't think the SPOT is the product for you.

Where the SPOT comes into it own is in the ability to send information on where you are and that everything is OK. This is the ability that I bought the SPOT for. My wife is happier when she doesn't have to worry. I am happier when my wife is happy. Same with the kids, knowing all is well helps when stuff happens and they are delayed.

Add the ability to send short specific text messages as well and the usefulness of the product increases. Need an early pickup, send a text message. Need a pick up in a different area, send a text message.

This is a different use than an Personal Locator Beacon. There are better and more dependable emergency devices than the SPOT.

Is it worth the cost? That becomes the true question and is a personal one. Is a Glacier Graft worth the money? Is a Hewescraft worth the money? Is a canoe worth the money? They are to someone, not to everyone.

If someone didn't already have a GPS and a SPOT and wanted one of each, this combo would be hard to resist. JMHO
    I agree and I'm not knocking SPOT users although I do think SPOT still charges too much for it's service. I am fully aware that SPOT offers features that a PLB does not. SPOT allows you to check in, ask for non-emergency help, track your locations, and signal for search and rescue.

My main point is that the person who would want to know where I am and could help me is already going to be in there with me. So the check-in feature isn't something I need. I use my GPS to store my tracks, so I don't need that feature either.

I think for me and my situation, a PLB would probably be better because I can buy a PLB for around $300 and that would pay for itself (vs a SPOT) in less than 2 years and would work indefinitely for no additional fees.

I can certainly see how the SPOT would be ideal for someone where loved ones want to make sure they are ok, though, and I think it's a great service. They fill a niche that PLB's do not.

I wish delorme would bundle up a GPS with a PLB. That would be absolutely ideal for my needs.

Default South and West

The thread started talking about coverage areas so I just thought I'd chime in that my Spot is working great in Dutch Harbor today. I should be up on the slope in the next few weeks; I'll see how it works up there.

So far as the benifits of a Spot go, the "Honey, I'm okay" button is almost as valuable as the 911 button in my house. I get less attitude now as I'm headed out the door when I have the Spot with me.

Less attitude = priceless.

We used SPOTs during the canoe race on the Yukon last summer. Our SPOT reliably sent a track message every 10-20 minutes from Whitehorse to Dalton Hwy bridge. Check out this link to see for yourself.
    http://www.yukon1000.com/resultsx.html?race=09y1k
    View the static results. All data was obtained from the teams' SPOT check ins and/or tracking mode.

I like the option of summoning help without summoning a 911 response. Last October my dad in Maine was scouting an island on a nearby lake and his motor would not start. No cell phone reception. He pressed help which send me a text message on my phone. I called my mom who checked the computer and saw his message. She just took out the other boat out to get him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast