Thread: Learning how to hunt.

Default Learning how to hunt.

Hey guys Im new to hunting here in AK. I really want to learn. I understand that I need to just get out there and look for the critters. Read about the habitat they live in. Get out and look for critters. Take care of my fire arm. Get out and look for critters. ect... However I need to learn what to do with the critter when i kill it. So here is my question.. If anyone has any game that has yet to be cleaned Ill do it if you show me how!

cammer - There are several good books and videos that could help you get started. I recommend you do that, and also make sure you get a hard copy of the hunting regs and read them very carefully, a few times. They can be kind of confusing at first since there lots of obscure rules depending on which area you're hunting in, but you should deffinitely make sure you're not doing anything wrong.

Nothing worse for a new hunter than to get in trouble with F&G. I would recommend starting with small game like grouse and rabbits. These animals are easy to hunt and easy to dress. A good way to get started. Good luck and have fun!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Field dressing hares...

Pretty helpful thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=66230

Good luck getting out.

I'm seriously considering doing a hare dressing slide show. Next time I go out for predators, I might bag another hare just to do the slide show.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default new to hunting

Though I'm not from Alaska, expirence has taught me this .
    Never go it alone ,unless you are so familliar with the teritory and the wild and that it is rutine business.
    Going it alone means that there is no one to watch your back while your cleaning. The sound of the shot and the smell of the blood is the dinner bell some have learned to wait for .
    Keep reading the things these men discuss here, lots of real time expirence.
    When I was a child , my dad taught me how to slaughter chickens and clean fish, so that when it came to bigger things it was not do difficult, both emotionally and anotomically. I have to admit it is supprizing wnen for the first time I helped clean a bear, I never realized how much fat they carried, seemed like half the bear.
    good luck in your search

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I'm seriously considering doing a hare dressing slide show. Next time I go out for predators, I might bag another hare just to do the slide show.
    This would be extremely helpful. If you get anything else when your out can you do a power point of it? Thanks for the advise!

I'd be happy to take you on a hunt so you can see how it is done. Getting a free day is a bit of a issue sometimes but I really enjoy the enthusiasm of a new hunter. I recently talked a friend through dressing a Dall Sheep via cell phone, so I don't think showing you the basics would be difficult.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Im completely free from 18 dec to the 5th of jan. So if you get a day ill definatly take you up on it!

I'll take a look at the calendar and get back to you.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default info

Another great option that is not small game specific is the hunter education, that is taught frequently here in anchorage through fish and game... its a full day overivew type course that has lots of good info.

It won't teach you how to skin things or specific hunting tactis but its a great way to get the bigger picture on hunting and related skills... its only $10.

Greg