Thread: Summer Lakes Belly Boating?

Default Summer Lakes Belly Boating?

Going to be in the Talkeetna area next 4th of July. Would it be worth fly fishing/belly boating Mile 180 Lake, Benka Lake or Tigger Lake? If you were after rainbows, grayling or char what fly patterns would you recommend? Thanks for the help.

Fish the one that they manage for trophy trout, X lake i think.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The Alaska DFG web site has all the information you need. Give the aea bio a call and they usually can give you the most recent info on the lake you choose. As to the flys, elk hair caddis, mosquito, leeches, bead head nymphs .... although I've not fished the specific lakes you mention, I did a little experimenting with some of the small lakes off the Parks Hwy. last summer. Had a ball catching a ton of fish on dries. I can't claim any trophy fish but a lot of them in the 16 inch range. Grayling tended to be small...10 to 12 for the most part but still a lot of fun and a pleasant change of pace from the salmon. Four or five wt with 6# tippet, float tube or raft and your in business. Check regs closely if you intend on killing any as rules change from lake to lake.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Default X and Y lakes

X lake is single hook/catch & release. You have to kick accross Y lake to get to it. You can catch alot of smaller trout on dries. For the larger 'bows try trolling w/a yellow marabou muddler or a #6 black bunny leech on a typeIII sink tip line. Both lakes have some nice trout.