Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Deer?

Default Got Deer?

Good hunting to report on the West side of Kodiak, Deer were starting to shed antler the last 2 days
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that is a boatload of deer!

Did you guys leave any on the island?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Any problems with the meat keeping the hides on them like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Any problems with the meat keeping the hides on them like that?
    I have heard of guys dropping an entire deer in the ocean prior to field dressing to cool it down then leaving the hide on afterwards to protect the meat from the rain etc. Guess it works just a bit different from how I have done things then again I have never done a boat based hunt for anything aside from bears.

the meat is really cool. we actually had to warm the deer up to skin, it was a cold hunt night temp in the teens to low 20's, meat is in great shape!

is that a homer boat?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

nope, kodiak boat

Default holy smokes

That is alot of deer! How much does a hunt like this go for??? Hey Bronco we need to do something like that!

Nice! That would have been fun.

I always cringe when the snow pushes the deer down to the beach winter areas, and folks go out and slaughter them in large #'s.

As an avid outdoorswoman, I wouldn't be caught dead eating any of that. Could be a good reason why we only eat the meat that we care for ourselves. You really could have left the photo of them all in a pile out, as far as I'm concerned that gives us all a black eye.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Meat will be great

I geuss I'm missing something. That deer meat will be good eating stuff as for as long as I can remmember in cold weather hunting it's always better to leave that hide on. The small meat mass as of a deer will cool much better when in tacked as one. This will prevent freezeing of the meat. Meat should cool slow giving time to leave and break down. I've had meat of an animal some one shot and pull the legs off and did'nt cool properly and it's just not as good, thou they think it is because thats what they were told to do or is all they know.I liked the picture of the deer pile it brings back memories, hunting like that is for meat to feed the families and the village the way it should be. It sounds like there's a couple anchorage horn hunters that dont like that picture. For you guys I heard REI is having a hike up to flat top this weekend you can all get togather with your granola,hold hands and sing coom-by-ya althe way up. As for the the deer hunter or should I say shooter good job.

Trakn,
    For you to call me an Anchorage horn hunter, you obviously know nothing about me. I guess I struck a nerve. One thing you'll learn is not everyone will agree on everything, so no need for name calling or insults. It was my opinion and I'll stick to it, This photo is in poor taste.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Thumbs up

That looks like a PILE of fun
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Poor taste

A pile of corpses is like posting up photos of skinned out bears or blown out brains. We as hunters kill and out of respect for our prey we should honor the game. I'm not a native guy with a long heritage of that kind of stuff. I've just killed enough to know that the animal we eat is a gift and it's our obligation to care for that gift as best we can, that includes what images we choose to share.

Posting photos of dead animals stacked like cord wood on a public forum is not respecting the game we profess to cherish.

I know it happens and it should happen. It's a privilage of living in this great land that provides. We just need to have great restraint in sharing our sporting heritage with the internet world.

I've stacked deer too. I know what it looks like. I don't take photos like that and choose not to see them. A friendly report telling of your shooting prowess is just fine.

Give me a break I thought this was a hunting forum. Its called harvesting, not everybody hunts for their ego. Awesome picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    Give me a break I thought this was a hunting forum. Its called harvesting, not everybody hunts for their ego. Awesome picture.
    I couldnt have said it better great photo wish I had some of it in my freezer

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    A pile of corpses is like posting up photos of skinned out bears or blown out brains. We as hunters kill and out of respect for our prey we should honor the game. I'm not a native guy with a long heritage of that kind of stuff. I've just killed enough to know that the animal we eat is a gift and it's our obligation to care for that gift as best we can, that includes what images we choose to share.

Posting photos of dead animals stacked like cord wood on a public forum is not respecting the game we profess to cherish.

I know it happens and it should happen. It's a privilage of living in this great land that provides. We just need to have great restraint in sharing our sporting heritage with the internet world.

I've stacked deer too. I know what it looks like. I don't take photos like that and choose not to see them. A friendly report telling of your shooting prowess is just fine.
    I couldn't have said this better.... going to have to agree with Huntress and Bighorse on this one.

Default and you'd rather?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I always cringe when the snow pushes the deer down to the beach winter areas, and folks go out and slaughter them in large #'s.
    And you'd rather they starved and didn't fill anyone's freezer? More deer die of winter kill/starvation, than hunters take. Hunters actually help the survivors by limiting the competition for available food. Take a bunch out now, and save some later. or let them all survive and reach their maximum stress point and wipe out a huge chunk of them. That's what traditionally happens when Kodiak or other areas with deer combine a high population of deer and a bad winter.

look at the history.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast