Thread: Ruger Mini 30 Does not fire every time

Default Ruger Mini 30 Does not fire every time

For those of you counting, this is the second time I have posted a question about a gun not shooting every time I pulled the trigger. This time the rifle is the Ruger Mini 30.
    The rifle feeds ammo just fine. There is never a hang up or failure to ejecct. Every time I pull the trigger, the gun does not fire. When it does not fire, the primer is dimpled every time. There is no pattern to the times it does not shoot.
    I took it apart just as the directions and videos tell you too. I did not try to take the bolt apart, or the trigger assembly. I looked it over before I did anything, and could see very little dirt or grease. Whereas it was not pristine, it was not gunky either.
    I went ahead and used Hoppe 9 on it and cleaned everything best I could. I used plastic brushes, Q-tips, wipes, and air to clean all the internal parts. I used a bore brush and wipes on the barrel.
    I put it back together without oil or lubrication. When I took it out to shoot it only fired 2 of the 3 rounds in the magazine. The rounds are a mixed bag and look to have been kept dry at least.
    Any ideas?
    Also, are the mini 14 and mini 30 trigger assemblies interchangeable? I have a Mini 14 that I have not taken out yet. If I take it apart will it look the same as the 30, and could I put the 14's trigger assemly in my 30?

Thanks folks,
    ARR

Default Ruger mini doesn't fire

mixed bag and look to have been kept dry at least.

Might I suggest before working on things and changing things you separate the ammo into brands or lots.

I suspect that you may have a brand of ammo that is not working. SOunds like a headspace problem and it does not take much for a primer to not fire if the shoulder on the case has been pushed back a few thou to far.

Neal

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Island View Post
    mixed bag and look to have been kept dry at least.

Might I suggest before working on things and changing things you separate the ammo into brands or lots.

I suspect that you may have a brand of ammo that is not working. SOunds like a headspace problem and it does not take much for a primer to not fire if the shoulder on the case has been pushed back a few thou to far.

Neal

G i have plenty of 223 ammo if you need a box or three also to try a new lot out...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I like Vince's idea. Shoot a box or two of known to be reliable factory ammo to see if you have any misfires before you get too busy tearing down the rifle. Maybe you've already done that...I don't know.

The mini-30 and mini-14 are typically bomb-proof rifles designed to be a perfect snowmachine or boat gun. My mini-14 shoots at temperatures that are super cold, even when the action is covered with snow. It's not a tack driver by any means, but it is super reliable...and with a 10+ magazine I usually hit what I'm shooting at.

Keep us posted.

Doc (Chuck)

Default Love to have them Vince

Then I can shoot them in my Mini 14, which shoots perfect! But I'll still need some 7.62x39 for the Mini 30.
    I went out and looked at the ammo I have. The 3 that did not shoot are all Wolf. I have no idea what did not fire before today. I did separate the ammo so I can keep track better based on E ISLs advise. I'll go shoot tomorrow before I try anything else.
    I might need to go buy some more ammo to just to make sure I have a large enough lot to really test the gun.
    thanks guys. Any idea on the trigger assemblies? I thought before I even looked at the M-14 I'd see what you guys have to say.

I have never seen nor heard of a mini 14/30 having head space issues. However I have seen irregularities between lots of Wolf ammo. Are the dents in the primers shallower on the Wolf ammo than the ones that go bang? If so you could have a bad lot with undersized brass that would act the same as a head space problem.

As far as the Mini 14/30 triggers go....it is very easy to do a trigger job on one of these. I did a couple of these triggers jobs last year. I don't remember the website but I just googled "mini 14 trigger " and there were some very good gunsmiths that gave instructions on how its done. They turned out real nice and if I can do it anyone can do it.

Default dumb me

I don't have the shot brass as it all went out into the snow. So note to self:
    Shoot where I can pick up spent cases.
    The trigger itself is what it is. I mean it does not feel horrible, or at least worse than I think I should. But I see what I think is some wear on the part that strikes the back of the firing pin, hence my question about interchanging the 14 w/ the 30 trigger group. Guess I can always just pull the 14 apart and look too, but you guys are all way smarter than me and thought maybe you would know that answer.
    Darn it, now I have to go shoot at lunch time again!

Friends don't let friends shoot Wolf ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Yeah....good ol Wolf ammo. but I hear their bulk primers are excellent....go figure.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    No...they give it to their enemies!

There is a reason its so cheap!

Default could be the ammo

I know when I was shooting the 7.62x39, the chinese ammo WOULD NOT fire when it was cold out. I bought some winchester ammo and it worked fine. I also had an issue once when a rifle would only dimple the primer and it was because the firing pin was nasty/dirty and needed to be cleaned. Once cleaned, it shot fine.

Default northway

When I hold the bolt in my hand, and push on the rear of the firing pin, the pin moves forward. The end of the firing pin looks round and nice. I don't see any thing wrong with it.
    When I let go of the rear, and tip the bolt, the firing pin moves freely. Looking at schematics, I can not see that a spring is supposed to hold it firm. Does it sound right to you?
    I was going to boil out the bolt, and then rinse with Isopropal and dry it well just to be sure it is not dirty inside.
    I do not see quite how to take the bolt apart to remove the pin. Any clues?

A shallow strike could cause your problem so while you have the bolt out you might as well check the firing pin protrusion. Most cf rifles call for about .055 protuding from the bolt face, some a bit more.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

how about one of them aftermarket wolf heavy springs maybe that would do it. I heard that wolf ammo was hard and bad for the mini's firing pins and thats why the guys on other sites install the springs and keep extra firing pins on hand
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

My brother broke the firing pin in his Mini 14 shooting Wolf ammo. Bad stuff. Ruger said the primers were extremely hard. But they fixed it for free, hats off to them for that.
    Tennessee

Default KISS principle

Yep, you guys nailed it. At least best I can determine unless I get some more ammo. I separated the ammo I had. Most were a brass looking steel case with only military markings. About 6 were Wolf steel case. 3 others were dark steel case, only military type markings.
    I loaded up 5 of the brass look a likes. They all shot. Then 5 Wolf. Shot only 2 out of 3. Back to the first group, shot them all. Went to the last group, and one did not fire.
    I was able to find some of the spent casings. All of them looked like they had about the same amount of dimple in the primer as the rounds that did not fire.
    Based on what you guys indicated it seems pretty normal that the Wolf ammo will have problems. I'm not sure I'll gain anything by doing much more, and I sure don't want to ruin the firing pin on crappy ammo. I don't have any civilian ammo. At this point I don't think it matters. If this type of issue is fairly normal for Mini 30 and Wolf/cheap ammo, then if I sell the gun I'll just tell people about the issue I found.

Default Wolf

Order some new ammo.

For what it is worth, I have burned through most of a 1000rd lot of Wolf military classic without a single mis-fire using a SKS and a mini-30. Avoid the surplus crap.

Also burned up a couple hundred Wolf 223 with zero problems in a Saiga AK chambered in 223.

I have encounterd the same problem with the Mini 30. Apparently the SAMMI standards to the 7.62X39 differs from the military standard. The stell case stuff gets light strikes becuse the guns headspace is set up for SAMMI specs. remingotn, Winchester ammo and my reloads shoots just fine. Not real well, but does function the rifle. aftermarket magazines are a roll of the dice as well!