Thread: Air service from Talkeetna

Question Air service from Talkeetna

Folks-

This site lists Talkeetna Air Taxi and Max Schwab as transporters based out of Talkeetna. Can anyone give me any insight as to the quality of their services? Are there any other air transporters based out of Talkeetna? I am looking for someone to drop me off in 16B for sheep.

Thanks,
    Jeff

denali flying service outa willow flys out there to, barry. he's a good guy. jay hudson might still be flying his cub out talkeetna but i'm not sure.
    max will be up guiding in the wood river country during sheep season.
    susitna air will fly that area as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jay Hudson won't be with us next year. He is living out his last days after battling cancer
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

sorry to here that about jay, flew with him a few times, the man lived a full life for sure, had some amazing stories.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I just found out that Jay passed two nights ago

Sorry to hear about Jay's passing. I never met him, but it is always tough to lose a good member of the hunting community, as it sounds like he was.

So then, is there anyone else that anyone recommends out of Talkeetna? I had thought I heard that Willow Air had bought Susitna Air, but maybe I was mistaken. Maybe I'll need to go with Denai Flying Service instead.

I called Talkeetna Air Taxi, and she wasn't sure what they could do, but she'd get back to me she said. I assume Talkeetna Aero and K2 are just flightseeing services?

Although, I see that Aero is somehow tied in with Rust's, so maybe I should just fly with Rust's?

K2 is tied in with Rusts. Talkeetna Aero is there own opperation. Talkeetna Aero doesn't do hunting trips. I have no clue about K2. Geeting was bought up by K2 so Dougo isn't flying hunters either. Your only real choice right now is Talkeetna Air Taxi for cub or wheel work, Alaska Bush for floats, if you want to fly out of Talkeetna...and whoever buys up Hudson.

With the loss of Jay we have lost the last "bush" opperator in Talkeetna. There were a bunch of people that depended on him to get their propane and food into the woods..but alas, probably not enough to justify buying the opperation. Everyone else is solidly tied into servicing the tourist industry. Talkeetna Air Taxi and Talkeetna Aero might fill the gap..who knows?

Willow Air bought Susitna a while ago. I've never flown with Denali. I agree that Willow's prices seem kind of high.

K2's specialty is flight seeing and glacier landings, but we operated a Beaver on floats from Fish Lake in 2009 and plan the same for 2010. We can also call in Rust's to help out with big loads, etc. K2 also does wheel work, from a Cessna 185 to Beaver to turbine Otter.

Hudson is the only operator in Talkeetna with anything smaller than a 185. Barry at Denali in Willow has a Maule, and Mike Meekins has a couple cubs. Max Schwab has a cub, but is not in town much during hunting season. Ray Atkinson is in Cantwell with a cub, too.

Randy Kilbourn