Thread: Winter Kings

Default Winter Kings

What the best way to go after winter kings ( bait, flashers, depth etc ). Thanks.

In a boat...just kidding.

I general, if in deep water start at 80' w/flasher/hootch/bait combo or flasher/cut plug herring and then try different spoons/flashers as needed. In shallower waters try to scoot along just off bottom.

Others will chime in with more info.

spring for a charter, and pay very close attention to what the skipper does....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for the info. It is fairly shallow water in Southeast if that matters. I can't see paying some one when I have my own boat.

call it an investment in your learning curve... if you don't want to spring for a charter see if you can take someone with you who knows the area.
    up here the best places/methods to catch kings vary with the time of year, tide cycle, water temp and bait abundance. there is just no "general" depth, flasher, bait combo... (okay, green holographic hotspot with a glow-green coyote spoon at 55' )
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    call it an investment in your learning curve... if you don't want to spring for a charter see if you can take someone with you who knows the area.
    up here the best places/methods to catch kings vary with the time of year, tide cycle, water temp and bait abundance. there is just no "general" depth, flasher, bait combo... (okay, green holographic hotspot with a glow-green coyote spoon at 55' )

There you go...Dave hits `em pretty good.

I agree that a charter is a good investment. You will easily burn that in fuel just looking noit to mention the frustration. Time is $$ especially on a boat.

I've caught my share of winter kings in SE AK.

Sometimes you can catch them in the same spots you do in the summer time.. If feed is around, it will be washing into the same areas with the tide. Kings will feed there.

Also, just random bait balls marked by birds can hold fish.

But when your typical spots are empty, winter kings do tend to hang out on high spots.. It just takes a rockpile on the bottom in 100- 200 ft of water to hold a king. They hang right with the rockfish, but if you troll over them, they'll come up and grab your bait. I have my charts memorized, and I'll hit high spots all day long. The best ones are the ones you find that aren't on the charts. I have a pretty active power troll fleet in my town, and they tend to keep our winter king population under control on the more obvious spots. Eventually I'll find one that has a fish on it that's hungry. Very fun fishing. Hit those high spots at different angles too.. Fish are weird some days and you have to drag it over them just right.. Get as deep as you can, without hooking the rockfish. 2 winters ago I caught nice kings right in front of town consistantly for a few weeks. I was dragging a abe/al down 140ft deep, with a hoochie behind it. Even lost a few as my reel would freeze up on me.

Nothing outfishes a flasher, but when the rockfish are thick, I'll toss down a acme plug. A white plug can work very well in the winter, and keep you from going insane from rockfish. The little ling that are everywhere in the winter will still grab it though. Toss down a bunch of different hoochie colors.. Find the one they want and fish it all winter. Baited hoochies work better.

Winter fishing is fun, as you'll usually be all by yourself. Stay safe!

Thanks for the info guys I am going out Saturday and Sunday I will let you know if I do any good.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default december 2009 fish Ak mag

Marcus has a good write up with details on how to troll kings, now just start there, also look for bait and birds. Murres, or cormorants are good indicaters of bait, once bait is found troll at that depth. good luck
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Where can I find that write up of Marcus's. Thanks.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default fishalaskamagazine.com

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    Where can I find that write up of Marcus's. Thanks.
    try the website
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I'm sorry what web site

Default Web Site

Try www.fishalaskamagazine.com.

In my experience the deeper you can fish on concentrations of feed the better. I usually start at 90 feet and work my way down. If you catch something check the stomach for what it has been eating and match it as best you can.

My go-to is a white (or glow) Hotspot flasher and glow white hootchies on a 42" 50 lb test tail leader. Also, I've been messing with UV spray on clear Scotty "easy baiter" plastic clips with herring strips and I think it makes a difference. Good luck

Well I went out today with no luck. Checked the bait the one time and it had been stripped off. So I am going to try again sunday.

Default POW

I don't do it too much myself but a few locals go daily for kings. THis last week they caught at least 1 per trip per boat and yesterday one group got 4. They troll in 40-80 feet of water real slow about 30-40 feet down. Green flashers, or silver Abe and Als with a King Katcher fly is what they use. Strip of herring for scent. It seems the shorelines and rockpiles hold them.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

That was almost the same set up I was using today. Another guy got one today and a couple shakers so there around I just got to find them.