Thread: Male Lab at Mat-Su Shelter.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Smile Male Lab at Mat-Su Shelter.

I met this guy at the Mat-Su Animal Shelter yesterday. He is very full of himself, He does not show up on the Petfinder page but he has been there, owner surrendered, for several weeks. He is friendly, enthusasitic, retrieves, sits, comes when called though in the shelter yard there is so much distraction he spent most of the time marking. When that was done he came for treats once he found out I had them or to play fetch.
    I think he would come around fast for someone who could put in the time training everyday, teach him some boundries, manners and likes strong male attitudes. I missed this little submissive sit. I was watching out for my fingers:-) I did not get his intake number.
    www.alaskadognews.com

Thats a beautiful dog, and you are right, a ride in the truck/car and he's saying where we going folks?

I will say they can be trained without a heavy hand, before this age, and still at this age.

I would venture to say that the former owners of this dog did'nt take the time to make it part of the family. ( Don't worry about your fingers if you tell him, easy,now, easy,)

I have a 10 year old choc. lab and is the number 1 dog that I have ever owned,( sorry Chinook, he was mal/wolf mix and he was the best til I got Bud.)

This would be a good dog if someone wants to put the time in on him, however when I say this, it means keeping him around you at all times.

Buddy has been with me throughout his life since his owner had to leave the state when he was almost a year old. It took a little time, but since then, the longest that we've been apart is 2 week's due to my surgray.

He would always sleep in the truck while I was working. He's pretty much my right arm.

Labs are GREAT

We took another lab from the shelter about a month ago, he looks familiar.

Lots and lots of labs at that place.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Labs are needy dogs. Their like kids, want att. all the time.

If you can not do this then DO NOT get a lab, they are family dogs, and like to be inside with you where they can see you at all times, or at least know where you are.

People, or I should say single people grab a lab because they are said to be good dogs, only to be let down when they are left alone.

Labs are people friendly, and if you take one in with the family, you won't have a better dog because he/she has somebody to watch over.

If you are single and try leaving him/her at home by themselfs, they get the seperation thing going on and it takes more time, being with them to make them feel like you are going to be there for them as you would want them to be with you.

Believe me My truck has so much hair in it, I'd have to buy another interior just to sell it.

All that being said, I would'nt have traded that dog for anything else that I have owned in the last 9 years, he's been that good. ( and he's still a full dog, if you know what I mean)

"Lots of retrievers at the shelter."
    That is so true !! I know first hand. I did a lot of rescue from the shelters while we operated our rescue program.
    The most popular breed, unfortunately, has been exploited by the irresponsible. Most not caring at all or so uneducated they know nothing about health or quality of the breed.
    I better stop I feel a long rant coming on !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    Most not caring at all or so uneducated they know nothing about health or quality of the breed.
    :
    Cuz it's too easy for someone to let 2 labs hump and make $500 puppies.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

TWB , there a lot harder to bread than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Hummmm, whole wheat or sourdough?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    You know what I mean. lol

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Some breeders are not requiring agreements.

Now I am a fan of purchase agreements for pups. I never was feeling it was MY dog and I would do as I pleased with them. 1o years ago I had two SR Hunters with extensive FC,AFC on everyone going back 4 generations including 2 NFCs. When we had a litter I did not require one and with in 2 years, 2 of the males were "given away" and a female bred at 18 months, no title, no health certs and virtually no training. So another 10 $250 pups with no immediate title. At that moment I vowed to never breed again.

Last year I saw a hunt test guy selling pups in the Fred Meyer parking lot in Wasilla. I tried to contain myself but lost it. The seller had the dams registration papers with him. The dam was from a well known politician. I emailed him and he was uninterested that his breeding was now at a yard sale in a parking lot. The man had no paperwork on the sire. No health certs, no shot records. I hope I screwed his deal with the people who were there asking him what a Labrador was. He said he could not advertise through the clubs because they required health certs. GOOD FOR THEM !! In Alaska Dog News to advertise a litter for sale I require so much, keeping this guy and a few others in mind, that most people do not want to advertise litters with me. Thatís what I want. Iím happy to sell space for a good breeding with a reputable breeder or assist finding a new home in certain circumstances. The list is too long to post here but basically the dogs must be from a responsible breeder with all the health certs, have the litter reg before the sale, belong to a canine org, provide assistance after the sale, never been sanctioned or banned from competition, never sold puppies in parking lotsÖ Usually the people who do all of that donít need an ad anyway.
    I ranted for you Baron. www.alaskadognews.com