Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Handgun Laws for MD Resident

Default Alaska Handgun Laws for MD Resident

Hey everyone,

I'm an 18-year-old Maryland resident, and I'm planning on spending my summer in Alaska trekking and climbing (mostly solo). I would feel safer with a handgun, but I'm wondering if it's possible for me to purchase or carry a handgun at my age. From the little research I've done, I've found the following things.

1. In Maryland, you need to be 21 to purchase and license a handgun. Sounds pretty standard.

2. In Alaska, you only need to be 18 to purchase, and you don't need a license to carry.

If both of those are correct, then my next question is, are state laws applied by state of purchase or by state of residence? In other words, could I simply purchase a handgun when I get to Alaska? If so, is there any way I could bring the gun back to Maryland with me?

Thanks for your help!

Knox

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

sorry knox; 21 for handguns in AK also...18 for long guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm an 18-year-old Maryland resident, and I'm planning on spending my summer in Alaska trekking and climbing (mostly solo). I would feel safer with a handgun, but I'm wondering if it's possible for me to purchase or carry a handgun at my age. From the little research I've done, I've found the following things.

1. In Maryland, you need to be 21 to purchase and license a handgun. Sounds pretty standard.

2. In Alaska, you only need to be 18 to purchase, and you don't need a license to carry.

If both of those are correct, then my next question is, are state laws applied by state of purchase or by state of residence? In other words, could I simply purchase a handgun when I get to Alaska? If so, is there any way I could bring the gun back to Maryland with me?

Thanks for your help!

Knox
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

you will not be able ot buy a handgun from a dealer unitl you show proof of residency in Alaska and you have to be 21 to buy form a dealer

those are Federal Laws

You cannot legally purchase a handgun in the state of AK unless you are a resident. Federal law.

Do a search for the threads concerning concealed carry. They have links to the laws of Alaska concerning handguns.

Here are a couple of links from one of the more recent threads:
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx
    http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/.../Chapter61.htm is another link, pay attention to sections 190-230.

It states that you must be 21 to carry a handgun in the state of Alaska or be charged with a minimum misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.

Get the information straight from the source, AST & the statutes.

HTH

Bill

Buy yourself a 12 gage Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 pump shotgun and use good slugs in it. If you are the hunting type you could opt for a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 or 450 Marlin. There are many threads here for how to set up a shotgun or Guide Gun for bear protection and are both better up for the job than a handgun as long as they are not leaning ageist tree or on a sling so you canít use them when you need them. I pack a S&W 460mag on my chest mostly because itís not in the way and I know I wonít set it down just before I need it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

As others have said, federal law requires purchasers of handguns, and handgun ammunition to be 21 y/o. You can purchase a shotgun, but if you're trecking solo you likely won't want to be packing a shotgun.

In reality, bear attacks are extremely rare. Learn bear habits and don't do stupid things. A big can of pepper spray is a good defense in most instances.

I've never encountered bears while rock climbing, and for mountaineering you aren't going to be in their habitat.

Yes, read the statutes. I prefer the SoA website rather than a third party.
    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/f...us/folhome.htm

Reading under 2009/11.61.220 'Fifth Degree' it is only illegal if it is concealed. I have yet to see a citation for a statute prohibiting open carry. (And if there is such a statue, please let me know.)

Plus, it IS LEGAL for him to CCW if he is "actually engaged in...lawful outdoor activity that necessarily involves the carrying of a weapon for personal protection."

However, there may be restrictions on Federal land. What was the final rule/regulation as actually published about parks and refuges? I expect he Feds would be rather less lenient about violations than Troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    Here are a couple of links from one of the more recent threads:
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx
    http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/.../Chapter61.htm is another link, pay attention to sections 190-230.

It states that you must be 21 to carry a handgun in the state of Alaska or be charged with a minimum misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.

Get the information straight from the source, AST & the statutes.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post

Reading under 2009/11.61.220 'Fifth Degree' it is only illegal if it is concealed. I have yet to see a citation for a statute prohibiting open carry. (And if there is such a statue, please let me know.)

Plus, it IS LEGAL for him to CCW if he is "actually engaged in...lawful outdoor activity that necessarily involves the carrying of a weapon for personal protection."

However, there may be restrictions on Federal land. What was the final rule/regulation as actually published about parks and refuges? I expect he Feds would be rather less lenient about violations than Troopers.
    It's getting the gun and ammo that's the major problem. No one in Alaska, short of some stupid park ranger, is going to harass him for having a handgun in the woods.

The National Parks rule change is still up in the air and for now is still no loaded guns in the parks. I think Obama is just avoiding this one since the fallout will be major no matter which way he went. So he is happy to let it take years to play out in the legal system and remain status-quo as long as possible.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post

Thanks for the updated link, I was copying links from one of the CCW threads that I had bookmarked. I've added this one to the list as well.

Considering many of the people I see with handguns will at one time or another put it under a raincoat or jacket, therefore concealing it, I brought out the fifth degree information.

As for the parks permission, the sign at Denali Bus Depot states that it will be legal to carry in February of 2010 in Denali NP.

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    As for the parks permission, the sign at Denali Bus Depot states that it will be legal to carry in February of 2010 in Denali NP.
    This is because Obama signed an economics bill that had an addendum allowing firearms to be carried within national parks in accordance with state law and it goes into effect in February.
    Last edited by zaxon; 12-04-2009 at 16:25. Reason: grammar

Agreed, getting a handgun is the crux. The solution is up to Knox, his family, and Maryland law. As blybrook said at the top, Federal law says he cannot get a handgun here. Federal law doesn't say anything about an immediate family member who is also a Maryland resident giving him a handgun, although I suspect Maryland law does. I was only replying to the Alaska carry part.

ADf, the stupid park ranger is exactly who I was thinking of: a federal employee probably not raised in Alaska, potentially with no real ties to or time in Alaska, with an 'Only Ones' attitude. Combine that with the stellar and upright prosecutorial choices made by the Feds lately, and it would concern me enough to know the regs and weigh the consequences before I carried on Federal land.

And it doesn't have to be a 'stupid' park ranger. Most Rangers I have met are great individuals and professionals, but when some Nancy-boy from New Jersey wigs out because 'guns are scary and evil' and a busload of tourons are wetting themselves, you may end up the fall guy. Hopefully you are acting within the law.

This is why I try to read the actual statutes and regulations as published by the relevant authority. Finding them is often hard (understanding them, too). But over the few years I have been around firearms, cops, lawyers, and practicing know-it-alls I have heard far too many things that can get someone a felony conviction and an all-expense-paid trip to Club Fed (or Sunny Seward State Resort). Are parks, preserves, monuments and sanctuaries all the same? (Of course the better question might be why should they be different as regards firearms regulations.)

Here's the actual text of the amendment to the HR 627 credit card bill. I'm no legal expert, but I read it as they cannot prevent you from exercising your 2nd amendment rights in "any unit of the National Parks System or National Wildlife Refuge System."

I agree... you can get a good mossberg or remington 870, with a pistol grip.... fits in a back pack easy.... Thats what I carry. Put slugs in it and you are good to go!!!~!

Default question

Whats you experience with firearms, if its not that much then stick with a can of bear spray. This could will save you a bunch of money and hassel. You can easily purchase a used pistol in alaska off one of the many classified sections with cash in hand. If all else fails buy a hunting license and if you are like me you will never see a bear.

Default I knowI'll probablyu going to get flames,

but if you have never been to Alaska, I'd find someone to go with you. Even for an experienced person, having someone with you for backup is all good.

Folks should be careful about encouraging people to violate Federal firearms laws. It would be illegal to sell an individual under 21 years of age a handgun.SEC 922(x)(1). ATF generally doesn't have a sense of humor about these things. I'm also trying to find the reg. about pistol gripped shotguns and sales to those under 21 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Folks should be careful about encouraging people to violate Federal firearms laws. It would be illegal to sell an individual under 21 years of age a handgun.SEC 922(x)(1). ATF generally doesn't have a sense of humor about these things. I'm also trying to find the reg. about pistol gripped shotguns and sales to those under 21 years old.

1-Only illegal if they try and buy from a dealer/aren't a resident. 2-Good luck finding that pistol grip law, there isn't one.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Feb. 1999 FFL newsletter from ATF. Basically states that a "shotgun" has a buttstock and is meant to be fired from the shoulder.SEC 921(5). And if it doesn't have a buttstock it isn't a shotgun. Because you don't know about a law or reg. (or ruling) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also basically states you are prohibited from transferring a pistol gripped shotgun to a person under 21 years of age. Sec 922 that I referenced earlier isn't about just dealers, although some folks think that the law doesn't apply to them. The law specifically says "It shall be unlawful for a PERSON, (my emphasis)to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has REASONABLE CAUSE to believe is a juvenile-(A)a handgun.

I would also point out that ATF's definition of a "juvenile" is someone under the age of 18 years. So, is it legal to sell a handgun to someone under 21 but 18 or older? If it's not legal for a dealer to sell a handgun to someone under 21, why would an individual want to, even if not specifically prohibited by law? Just because its not against the law, doesn't make it right. Most laws become complicated because folks won't follow the simple ones. I haven't found the case yet where it was cheaper to hire an attorney than to just say "no". If the young man from MD wants a handgun he should have his folks get him one. Simple. It worked for me when I was underage. I bought the pistol, and had my dad fill out the paperwork when I was 15 back in about '75. Never should have traded that one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast