Thread: How much does your boat weigh?

Default How much does your boat weigh?

When I was putting my boat up for the winter, I unloaded a bunch of stuff; equipment, supplies, etc. It was a nice afternoon and we thought we'd take her out for a short spin down the channel and once up to temp, I brought the throttles up to 100% - the old girl topped out at 24 knots on the GPS at slack tide....hasn't gone that fast since new. Then it dawned on me how much weight I'd added over the years and exactly where/when the additional weight started slowing me down.

Our 25' cruiser was very weight sensitive; just one more passenger could make the difference between a normal cruise on step and not being able to get on step at all.

So where are you at with your boat weight? Are you near the top of your power/weight/drag curve or do you have some 'room' left? How many boaters run at the top or just over that magic point? And, how does that affect your mileage/fuel considerations? What are you carrying now that you don't need? I know that I'll be removing some stuff that I've carried for years, (such as a Honda generator that I've used 3 times in 12 years and a barrel pump that I've used twice in the same time period.) How about you?

I have not weighed mine yet but do know she is way heavy most of the time! two adults, 3 kids, a dog and all the associated equipment for 3-5 days adds up real quick!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Post the guy here sayz wt is number 1...

http://www.soundingsonline.com/featu...ull-efficiency about 1/2 way down....good read if u have not read....02cents
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

boat, motor, transome. 125lbs...

rolled stored in the closet next to me

soar pro pioneer, with 2.5 merc
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    boat, motor, transome. 125lbs...

rolled stored in the closet next to me

soar pro pioneer, with 2.5 merc
    But the wife and kids don't fit too well unless you stack them like cord wood.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    But the wife and kids don't fit too well unless you stack them like cord wood.
    um i got rid of the 24 Rinnell and the 24' carolina 2400... for a reason.

some times you need "A" wife or "A" kid and not "THE" wife "AND" the kids along....cripes dude i have 4 daughters and a missus... trips to fred meyers with them all together, is enough to make my head explode.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Charterboat Operator

I know that with 8 people,1000 lbs of fish, and probably 800 pounds of misc, c r a p, on the boat I lose a good 6-8 mph ot WOT!

but 45 mph is still fast enough for me

How many people run their bouts at WOT?

I hardly ever go over 3/4, and then its only to pass someone, or to get over the next riffle.

You really do save alot on the gas consumpution, and you are really not going to get that much more speed out of it at full throttle. ( at least my boat.)

I'm usally not in a hurry anyway.

Take in the sights, pull over and walk the edge, (You notice I said edge and not BAR,) skip a rock every know and then, and just enjoy myself.

No hurrys, no worrys. Its still going to be there when you arrive.

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

I hardly ever go over 3/4, and then its only to pass someone, or to get over the next riffle.
    I run between 42-4500 rpm out of 6000. Gives me the best MPG (3.5 - 4) at 20-24 mph. I have a 100 hp yamm on a 20' sea runner.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Charterboat Operator

I do, about once a month providing I can find a day with flat enough water, for about 3-4 minutes, can't stand it when the fuel meter is reading 40+GPH!

I hardly ever do more often than not I am running at 75%-80% of WOT.

With my Volvo Penta D6, it is rated at 90% power continuous use, but I usually run at less. Here are some of my typical speeds and performance numbers I see:

Economy Cruise 26kts 2700rpm 10gph 75% power
    Fast Cruise 29kts 2900rpm 12gph 80% power
    Full Speed 37kts 3600rpm 20gph 100% power

90% of my time is in the 75%-80% power area.These numbers are for my 31' Seawolf aluminumn boat.

On the other hand, I have a 20' Alumaweld with a 50hp outboard for the Kenai. I could replace the throttle lever on this with a switch, since the only two positions used are idle and full throttle. It is a 1996, and still runs like brand new.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Thread killers!!!

How many of you number nerds can read the original question?

Meyers,

It's almost on topic. The original post did ask about where we were at on our performance curve. Actually, I did try and go back in and edit my post to say that my boat weighed in at 12,000 lbs before I added my gear, and that I was planning on weighing it again next summer when everything was on board. Apparently there is a time limit as to how long you have to edit a post, and I missed it.

There, I answered the original question.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thats funny Meyers, I was just saying that if your boat is not on step at 3/4 throttle then the boat is to loaded down, might want to relieve some of the load rather than run WOT.

You need the right hp for the weight of the boat, a little more hp you can carry the luxury items.

Did'nt mean to be a thread stealer.

About as much as my ex wife.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    So where are you at with your boat weight?
    Our 24' Tolman with 140 suzi 4 stroke comes in right around 3400 lbs.
    Add about 750 lbs fuel when full a 70 lb kicker, about 70 lbs of anchor/chain and rode, and that is our base weight.

On an average day we probably carry around 80lbs of fishing gear plus another 90 lbs of ice, ice chest and bait. we have probably around 120 lbs of emergency gear, and tools etc. My wife and I area about 330 lbs. So that gives us an average running weight of 4830 or round it up to 5000 lbs to account for stuff I have thought of.

At this weight she just hops up on step and runs hard. So I think we are probably running at the bottom end of the weight scale. The most weight I've ever had was 5 adult guys so say 1000 lbs of passengers. probably an extra 100 lbs of ice food etc, and say another 50 lbs of fishing gear. That made us about 6250 lbs. At that weight the boat still handled very well but it was noticeably less responsive. I didn't change the prop on that trip so if I had reduced the size or pitch I might have retained some of the responsiveness. I didn't record fuel usage under those conditions but I know it was probably about 30% more. I use the 4k rpm, 20 mph, 6 gal and hour as our base average which is conservative but reliable for a typical overnight trip.