Thread: Plastic stocks for 60 below????

Question Plastic stocks for 60 below????

OK, my question is how will plastic stocks on long guns hold up to extreme cold, like minus 60 in Fairbanks? Will the chance of cracking be great with Butler Creek or Ramline stocks? Thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    OK, my question is how will plastic stocks on long guns hold up to extreme cold, like minus 60 in Fairbanks? Will the chance of cracking be great with Butler Creek or Ramline stocks? Thanks!
    do you expect to be out in the minus 60?

the coldest i have ever " been out " on my sled with a rifle was -49 i have never had an issue with the firearms only primers from factory ammo that would not fire.

at minus 50 you can break the frame of your truck if hit right. so expect that any fire arm could be seriously damaged if mis treated at those temps. to and from the car to house will not be any worry, your worry will be when those stocks including wood or laminate gets to the temp and stays there. any trapped moisture will expand and shock can damage....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

definately maybe.......

I'd stay in and drink at that temp.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Yeah my thought would be the gun in an unheated garage, and grabbing it to pop something outside while the gun has been that temp for awhile. Metal parts would probably let loose first possibly? Anyone here have a breakage of a firearm at low temperature?

Dunno if it would break, but wait until you feel that cheek weld at that temp. My Tikka has a synthetic stock and at -15 it will about freeze my cheek if its been sittin in that cold all day. Doable but not comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Dunno if it would break, but wait until you feel that cheek weld at that temp. My Tikka has a synthetic stock and at -15 it will about freeze my cheek if its been sittin in that cold all day. Doable but not comfortable.
    I heard that . . . soaks right through a Thinsulate face mask in a flash at -30.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'd be more worried about the action and trigger being degreased and using some sort of graphite lube to keep it functioning. Actually I'd be more worried about keeping my butt inside!!!!

Brett

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I was in the Army at Fort Wainwright in 77 and 78.

We were in the field at Blair Lakes for two weeks when the temps were minus 45 to minus 55 with a few days at minus 60, (the coldest day was minus 67).

Our M-16s were always stored outside. During field training we fired blanks and did not have any more malfunctions than normal. No issues with the plastic on the 16s. We did have a person break a barrel on a 16 when he used it to snap off the metal band around a case of c-rations by putting the barrel under the band and twisting which we did all the time. Found out later that there was a flaw in the barrel. We broke a lot of other stuff in the cold though. We were supposed to be out only five days when the temps dropped. Could not be recovered as nothing could fly and was even too cold for the ground vehicles to come get us.

Doing live fire at minus 40 did not cause any problems for any of our weapons. We had special lube for the arctic that was used sparingly.

On my off time my friends and I would target shoot with all types of firearms including muzzle loaders without any problems even at minus 40, sometimes colder. We would camp out for several days and we kept the firearms outside until it was time to clean and put away. Never broke anything and everything functioned well as long as we used the arctic lube lightly or no lube at all.

I lived in Barrow for many years and did not have any problems with any of my firearms wood stock or synthetic. Was in temps there as low as minus 40-50 some times for a week or more, never had anything break or not go bang when it was supposed to. Never saw anyone else have a malfunction or break anything. Never brought the firearms in until it was time to clean and put away.

Default It may break

if you hit it on something at that temp. I've had my tikka on my back at -60 (and a little colder) and it was fine. I WOULD NOT want to hit it against anything hard though as I have broke the stock spring bear baiting when the temp was 60 above.

Like Vince said, I think ANYTHING can break at that cold of a temperature depending on how it is hit.

Yes, degrease your action and trigger! I clean mine out with brake cleaner. Never failed yet. I always have many bottles of heet with me (red bottle) to use in my gas and to pour over the action if it froze.

I'd say the odds of the stock breaking at that temp are less than the odds of you being out using a rifle at -60. I don't see a plastic stock failing under normal use in extreme cold temps, but if you try and use the stock as a lever to get a stuck sno-go out of a hole, I wouldn't be suprised if it snapped.

People generally hole up when temps dip below -30 to -40, and yes lots of things will fail to work and be prone to breaking at -60.

Why don't you call your local university chemistry department and ask to speak to one of the professors, ask the same question, and ask if you could place your plastic stock in one of their freezers set to that temp? Make it an experiment. Leave it overnight, then take it out and drop it on the floor.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Why don't you call your local university chemistry department and ask to speak to one of the professors, ask the same question, and ask if you could place your plastic stock in one of their freezers set to that temp? Make it an experiment. Leave it overnight, then take it out and drop it on the floor.
    Good idea though I really don't want to break a stock I have no money to replace and my local uni that I go to would not be happy me bringing in a gun part...I have 1 more semester before I get my BA so I really want to make sure I finish lol

Good idea though I really don't want to break a stock I have no money to replace and my local uni that I go to would not be happy me bringing in a gun part...I have 1 more semester before I get my BA so I really want to make sure I finish lol
    Oh, so you live in one of the occupied territories?

Okay, tell the professor you are an aspiring outdoor photographer and got this idea off the internet to use a plastic gunstock with a camera mounted on the stock because you'll use humongous telephoto lenses and need the support. How 'bout that?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Oh, so you live in one of the occupied territories?

Okay, tell the professor you are an aspiring outdoor photographer and got this idea off the internet to use a plastic gunstock with a camera mounted on the stock because you'll use humongous telephoto lenses and need the support. How 'bout that?

There isn't any problem with synthetic stocks at low temps. Been a professor (retired from physics and chem), trapped, used guns at -40. Just degrease with white gas, use dry graphite. and wear bunny boots in case you run into overflow.

Use a synthetic stock at -40?

It "might " break, "might" not, but it WILL freeze to your face and hands, especially when a fellow throws his mittens off for a snap shot.
    Nothing like a freezeburn mid hunt to make things suk.....if it didnt just stick and peel the skin off anyway.

Seen that in person, and more than one guy with a burn along his cheek.

Wood wont freeze to you.

Yep, if you bring it in, open it up and dry it while you clean it. A cold gun in a warm room becomes a wet gun soon.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....