Thread: Soft top to Hard top

Default Soft top to Hard top

Has any one any advice on making a soft top into a hard top? I have a new 22' Sea Runner and after one season I wish I had a hard top. I have talked to a local fab shop and it sounds like an easy task. Looking for any one that has any input on this. Being a new boat, looks is very important.

will be spendy but worth it if you can do it. Can have it made to where it bolts to the boat so can be removed if need be. That way there is no welds burning the paint. But most likely you will have it painted to match the boat. If you are having a fab shop do it is should look good. Have seen some boats with just a frame welded together for kayaks and such. Just goes over the soft top. But soft tops are a pain because of all the snaps and towing. I have a soft top and hate it. But only option for me unless i do a bolt on one. I guess the main thing to worry about is cost. I was quoted one for mine and it was around $5,000. Plus depends on glass for windows, and how will meet up to your existing windshield? Good luck on it though.

Hardtops are absolutely better. But it may be cheaper for you to sell your existing boat and buy the same model with a hardtop.
    If you decide to have the hardtop designed and built for your boat try to get it built so you can tie things to it and use it like a luggage rack.
    Tennessee

Default it's never cheap...

I would agree that it may be far cheaper to sell and re-invest. But have you talked with Silver Streak Boats in anchorage? He builds boats and put a rack over the top of my soft top this fall... good work, reasonable price.

Default cost

So far I was Quoted around 3500.00 without windows. This seemed to be a fair price to me. I have tried to sell the boat but it is the wong time of year for that. Also if any one is contemplating getting some work done on there boats this is the time of year to get it done. Seems like you get a better deal when things are slow. Any way, thanks for the feed back, I think I will go this route. I am just now getting everything set up the way I like it, (downriggers, electronics,cab heater, bugs worked out,etc.).

putting windows in is easy. Nova glass will do any shape you bring them. Cut your hole, trace it onto cardboard, then make it a quarter inch less all the way around. Can ask them they will tell what to do. Plus i believe i bought the window rubber from them, gasket i guess. Cut it an inch longer than what you need and force in there, it will go. I helped build my boat from the ground up and then got the raw hull and my dad i finished our selves, from paint to all the electronics. Was pretty cool. Set up the boat how i wanted it with what i wanted. I know where every little thing is and how it was all done. Still spendy but got the labor for free. That would be one benefit of selling if you can afford to and buy the boat you want with everything you have figured out you want or would like to have different. Oh on the windows if you do put some in, which is nice to have them. On the corners you can't go smaller than the radius of a cap for a large oxygen bottle. What my boat builder suggested and what i used. Definately don't want to go any smaller. Never measured but would say about 3 or 3.5 inch diameter.