Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a the individual trapping the tanana across from Quartz lake

Default Looking for a the individual trapping the tanana across from Quartz lake

I'm looking for the individual trapping the Tanana river near delta junction (across from Quartz lake)... please PM me or respond to this post... I may have something of yours and would like to get it back to you..... Thanks

Is there a trap attached to your pet?

No... I was headed to one of my spots to call and saw a coyote in the brush. I popped it at 230 yards and when I got to it I saw why it was in the brush... Had a leg in a trap... I want to get the coyote back to it's rightful owner. I put a note up on a tree and talked to a couple other trappers in the Delta area to let him know to call me but haven't heard from him. Hoping I can make contact through the forum.

Default very nice

That's real good of you. If it were my line I would understand and certainly appreciate the coyote back, they hard enough to catch, at least for me.
    Too bad all sportsman don't have the same ethics that you do.
    Way to go, I hope he contacts you.

Lived 10 yrs in Alaska, relocated to Idaho

What a good person you are ! I hope your able to make contact.

Default Just wondering

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but I'm interested in this situation. I also want to applaud your efforts to reach the trapper to return the catch. My question is are you at any risk of being in trouble because you moved the animal I'm assuming. You are doing the right thing by trying to reach the trapper. This if for my own knowledge, this seems like a situation where a person doing the right thing would end up getting in trouble.

It seems to me he did the right thing. That yote would likely have been eaten by other critters and the pelt ruined if the owner of the trap line hadn't checked the line quick enough. At least this way he has a chance to get the pelt in good condition.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

BTW i have found a business card IN the trap gets better results then a note..

afew years back my kids picked up some trapps. off a line i went out and found another.. and put my card in it after two attempts with a note on the tree..

when he found my card was first time.. he'd seen a note from me.seems the wind took a few..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Like catchfish I have been wondering about this and your decision to remove the critter form the trap. Not to stir things up but the legal thing to do would have been to leave it in the trap. If you had been caught walking out with the coyote you could have been charged with trying to steal the catch regaurdless of your honest intentions.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Ditto what otterman said.

I agree with otterman. I would have hung it in a tree at eye sight so the voles wouldn't get to it and leave a note saying sorry busted your yote.

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Like catchfish I have been wondering about this and your decision to remove the critter form the trap. Not to stir things up but the legal thing to do would have been to leave it in the trap. If you had been caught walking out with the coyote you could have been charged with trying to steal the catch regaurdless of your honest intentions.
    He still can be charged. As a trapper I would be PO'd if someone shot an animal and then removed it and took it home note or no note, it's not your animal the instant that it was in the trap it was property of the trapper. I am sure you had honest intentions and I personally wouldn't call the troopers but I wouldn't be very happy solely for the fact that you removed the animal. I would post this on trapperman.com under the wilderness forum as there is a large pop of AK trappers on that I would also contact the local ATA chapter and see if they know who's set it was. If after all of that you come to a dead end I would take the animal back to the set and hang it in a tree next to the set, last thing you want is a salty trapper with a chip on his shoulder looking for a fur thief. I sure as heck wouldn't be skinning it right now or making plans for it, that just skews the intent in the instance that this thing gets elevated. Tough situation for sure but you are doing the right thing by trying to contact the individual.

I may very well get myself into trouble for removing the animal... I know you can be fined for disturbing a legitmately set trap. While trapping in the matsu valley I had several traps stolen and trapped animals removed from my sets with no recourse other than call the troopers. I'm hoping the person that is trapping that area understands it wasn't intentional and sees that I'm trying to do the right thing. I primarily took the yote because I thought the ravens or mice/voles may ruin the hide so I decided it would be better to skin it out for them (even left the feet on just incase). The business card is a good idea but I guess I could have walked back out to the set to put the note in too. I guess I just wanted to disturb the area as little as possible. Like I said I hope the person understands....

Twors...my opinion, is that you did the right thing...
    -You did not remove the trap; just the coyote you mistakenly shot-and as you say, you have been trying to get ahold of the trapper,to return it to him-

...several good points of advice from peoples' posts on this thread....
    -but, in this case- at least to me- your honesty and sincere intent to make the situation right, shines through...

-We need more honest people like you in the woods....

-...can we really afford to nit-pick and criticize one of our own,who is obviously making effort to do right...when we are, in this day in age, under frequent heat and scrutiny from anti-trappers or even neighbors?

TWors, this isnt aimed necessarily at you because I believe youre trying to do the right thing, but for others reading this:

That yote should have been hung up at the set and left for the trapper like some above folks noted. That is the right thing to do in this situation..

Also, if given the choice, I think most trappers would prefer you NOT dispatch the animal in the trap. I know it was unintentional in this case Twors...

If I come across one that is close to escaping or something I would probably put it down, but being alive generally keeps the fur from getting damaged. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ...can we really afford to nit-pick and criticize one of our own,who is obviously making effort to do right...when we are, in this day in age, under frequent heat and scrutiny from anti-trappers or even neighbors?

Yes because if we can't police our own what good are we as responsible outdoorsmen/women in not informing and educating someone when they have broken a game law?

Quote Originally Posted by twors View Post
    No... I was headed to one of my spots to call and saw a coyote in the brush. I popped it at 230 yards and when I got to it I saw why it was in the brush... Had a leg in a trap... I want to get the coyote back to it's rightful owner. I put a note up on a tree and talked to a couple other trappers in the Delta area to let him know to call me but haven't heard from him. Hoping I can make contact through the forum.
    Ah, that's cool. Bummer that you can't really claim the hide. Re: the responses--learn something new everyday.

What if you shoot a coyote who was limping along and he had a trap on his foot but the chain did not hold and he is packing the trap?

That would be fair game IMO. Now if you knew who the trapper was, might be nice to give it to him...at least the trap back...

Default Registration

I don't know what I'm missing here, does a trap site have to be registered? If it does couldn't your find the trapper through the registration?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast