Thread: shorting a synthetic stock?

Default shorting a synthetic stock?

Does anyone have any experience with cutting down a synthetic stock? What product would work to basicly glue or attach a limbsaver since the screw holes would be gone after cutting off an inch to an inch and a half. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What brand is the stock? Fiberglass foam filled or rynite type stuff?
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

The easy thing to do is glue in wooden blocks, shaped to fit the inside of the stock. After the epoxy is set, face it off flush with a disc or belt sander and then attach the pad in the normal manner with screws.

Never done it but what gunbug says is what I heard as well. Some plastics are so slippery it is difficult to find 'glass or glue that will stick. I noticed this when working with those black tupperware stocks offered by the old Winchester Co and some Savages.
    Check with KK who posts here. He has a pretty good knowledge of working with syn stocks.
    Tennessee

Haven't ever had difficulty with acra-glas gel. Just rough up the inside of the stock with the faithful dremel tool and be fairly generous with the epoxy.

Snowwolf,

"My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them! "

I love your quote, it's so true...

Easy job, PM "The Kid"

Default not sure

Quote Originally Posted by KClark View Post
    What brand is the stock? Fiberglass foam filled or rynite type stuff?
    I would guess that is rynite stuff but have no idea. Its a new youth Savage 270 with a black synthetic stock.

gunbugs - is the acra-glas gel the epoxy that your refering to in your other post?

Anyone have any other experiences with other epoxies on this type of stock?

Default Slip on

I just cut the stock on my Ruger Hawkeye and bought a pachmayr slip-on pad that fit perfect. I rounded the edges a little and that was it. Shoots and feels great. Thinking about filling the hollow cavity with some sort of foam.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I would guess that is rynite stuff but have no idea. Its a new youth Savage 270 with a black synthetic stock.

gunbugs - is the acra-glas gel the epoxy that your refering to in your other post?

Anyone have any other experiences with other epoxies on this type of stock?
    I recently shortened the stock of a Sako Finnlite by 3/4" and it's the rynite type stuff. The existing pillars for the butt pad screws were deep enough that they still worked. Might pull the pad and look to see if thats the case with the Savage.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Yes, when I say epoxy, I meant Acra-glas. And generally use the gel, much more user friendly.