Thread: Pilot survival pack

Default Pilot survival pack

What do pilots put in a survival pack

Law dictates some basics. Additional items are up to the pilot. I have many additional items, and everything but the snowshoes fits into an average sized backpack.

cut and pasted from www.equipped.org-

Alaskan Survival Kit Regulations
    Alaska state law (AS 02.35.110. Emergency Rations and Equipment) was modified a while back to reduce the equipment required to be carried. The current regulations require that no airman may make a flight inside the state with an aircraft unless emergency equipment is carried as follows:

1. The minimum equipment to be carried during summer months is as follows: (for all single engine and for multiengine aircraft licensed to carry 15 passengers or less)

(A) rations for each occupant sufficient to sustain life for one week;

(B) one axe or hatchet;

(C) one first aid kit;

(D) an assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies, lines, and sinkers;

(E) one knife;

(F) fire starter;

(G) one mosquito headnet for each occupant;

(H) two small signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad fuses, or Very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers;

2. In addition to the above, the following must be carried as minimum equipment from October 15 to April 1 of each year:

(A) one pair of snowshoes

(B) one sleeping bag

(C) one wool blanket for each occupant over four

As you can see, the Alaskan regulations are minimal and do not address much in the way of specifics or quality. The old regulations were similarly minimal, but required double the food, a gill net and a firearm and specified matches instead of a generic "firestarter." The old requirements were as follows:

1. The minimum equipment to be carried during summer months is as follows: (for all single engine and for multiengine aircraft licensed to carry 15 passengers or less)

a. food for each occupant sufficient to sustain life for two weeks

b. one axe or hatchet

c. one first aid kit

d. one pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle and ammunition for same

e. one small gill net and an assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies, lines, sinkers, etc.

f. one knife

g. two small boxes of matches

h. one mosquito headnet for each occupant

i. two small signalling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad fuses or very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers

2. In addition to the above, the following must be carried as minimum equipment from October 15 to April 1 of each year:

a. one pair of snowshoes

b. one sleeping bag

c. one wool blanket for each occupant over four

I do not know how to post photos to this thread. There are a couple photo of my survival gear box and flying vest on the Super Cub site.

alex
    dragonfly@alaska.net

floatpilot;

how about a link to the site and thread you mention?
    Cold Zero
    Member: S.C.I., N.R.A. Life Endowment Member & L.E. Tactical Firearms Instr.

**For Private contact email me, P.M. usually full.*

see if this works mine is on page two

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewt...+gear&start=30

Alex
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot
    Which brand vest do you use. I bought an SOS i believe and not overly impressed. Has lots of pockets on the front, but many are overlapping each other. No pockets on sides or back.

Default vest option

Another budget option that I used was finding the $5 fly fishing vest at a garage sale. Not a life jacket but a ton of pockets. It has no food but I can live off the things in that vest for some time. It has everything from fire, bug gear, space blankets, fishing basics and signaling tools and a basic first aid kit.
    There are other types of vests that have the SOS type life jacket too. Pack it so it stays comfortable while your'e in the harness.