Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you shot a B & C moose...

Default If you shot a B & C moose...

Would you enter it?

nope, I don't need to pad my ego with some score or making it in a book. I hunt for me, not for anyone else's approval.

Default No

I didn't enter five other animals that met the minimums either.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Cool

But you'll brag about not putting them in the book?

I would!!

I hunt hard and most of the time I eat tag soup. If I should get lucky enough to harvest a big ol boy, I'll enter him at 60 days baby!

Record books have pictures of animals, not hunters, because the book celebrates the animal and the hunter is a sidenote. I don't see this as an ego thing any more than getting your picture on the cover of the 'Rolling Stone' or any hunting mag.

Happy, proud, excited and elated but not ego manic.

Yes, but I wouldn't post the story or photos on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by #1duck View Post
    But you'll brag about not putting them in the book?
    Ha! Yeah, it does seem ironic that folks will tell you how many animals they haven't entered. Not an insult, Big D, but it is worthy of a smile.

I think I probably would. I will never pass on shooting a spike/fork moose, but if I got lucky enough to shoot a remarkably large moose, I don't see the harm in entering it. The size isn't the reason I hunt or the reason I will shoot an animal, but no meat is lost by stretching a tape on some antlers.

That reminds me, I need to stretch a tape on my wife's caribou from this fall. I still have never measured my bison from '02 either. I'm curious...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default perhaps ....

if it was # 1 in the book......never been a wory of mine and don't know how to measure or what it all means anyway....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    But you did measure them, I assume, otherwise you would not know that they met the minimums?

I say if you are lucky enough or put forth enough effort to take a B&C animal, go for it. If nothing else, you get a certificate to put on your wall that will remind you of the hardships, effort, or just pure luck that went into the hunt for that animal. To assume others do it just to "pad their ego" is almost egotistical in itself. I say congrats on taking a nice moose, and maybe finish and resurrect the thread by posting a pic of the moose and the certificate when it comes. But certainly don't take any flack from anyone for entering your animal. That's my take on it.

If it made the top ten yes, if not no.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    That is funny..... You measured them. Are you sure you just didn't want to pay the $$$ after you found out they weren't "ALL TIME" and were only going to make the three year book.

I'd enter them. In fact I just had some measured. I missed the three year book by 6 1/8th points. Oh well, the funny thing is he tastes similar to the forky from last year. I never left the house thinking "I'm going hunting for a B & C animal" sure I thought about it but #1 was meat in the freezer. I shot him because he was the first legal moose I saw.
    If he happens to be big well why not get him scored and enter him if he's big enough. I think several guys are just scared of disappointment. (Don't attack. I didn't say ALL) Plus, if you never officially get him measured and don't know how big he really is... Well... It's ur story tell it how you want it. B&C is just a score. I personally like big gnarly looking moose with odd points. Not to many of them ever get showcased by B&C.
    Last edited by johnscd; 12-02-2009 at 18:03. Reason: miss worded

Default shoe on the other foot

so what if your kid or wife or great grandad etc... shot a record animal? then how many of you would change your tune?

bragging about something extraordinarily big is normal human nature.
    you should've seen the crowds gawking at the giant pumpkins at fred meyer during halloween.
    it's the same thing!

Default Part of sharing the story?

I've never thought once that any body using this forum to post stories of hunts and photos of animals taken were bragging. I feel as if people like to share their exploits, and I think most of us like to read about them.
    Why is posting your animal in a record book any different? Is that not a form of sharing the animal?
    Some folks might think that just talking or writing about our hunts is improper. They might not even want to talk about their own hunts. That's ok too.
    Personally, I do like to read about all of your adventures, and occasionally look through the trophy books just to see the photos and look at animals.
    For myself, I am not concerned so much about entering an animal in P&Y or B&C, but if the opportunity arose I might. If it costs money, then probably not, cause I'd rather save that money for the next hunt.

No I would not. I shot this buck in the 90's with my bow. I had him scored just to know. He scored high enough to qualify for both Pope and Young and B&C. Maybe one day, but so far I just haven't felt that it was important to me.

Steve

You bet your Alaskan Azz I would!
    Tennessee

Look at my avater, shot him when I was 13. Shrank 7" both ways since then.

He is now in the pic. 57" across, and 42" from top to bottom.

Shot 6 that were that size or better, but he is the only one I kept, for 30+ years

I had a Booner caribou scored out of curiosity because I just wanted to "see" where it stood. I knew it was big and just played the "what if" game with myself. I didn't enter it in any book, even though it went up there pretty high with B&C and SCI. I don't care either way, I'm a meat hunter first. BUT, if a hog steps out, well then shame on him. He's a goin' down. I suppose maybe that if it were of world record size, then maybe I'd consider entering it, but it's just never been that important to me. I'm in it for alot of other reasons than getting in a book or notoriety.

All -
    Thank you for your replies and input.
    Let me explain why I posted the question...

One of my life's dreams was to hunt moose.
    I had applied for 18 yrs for a Once in a Lifetime Shiras bull moose tag here in Colorado. This year was my lucky year as I drew a tag.

After reading on this forum about moose hunting for many hours and scouting all summer, October finally came.

Opening day, around noon I saw a bull moose. I knew he was a decent bull [I had ANY BULL tag].

I just got the official B&C measurement and he qualifies All Time
    [155" Shiras].

165 5/8" gross
    164 1/8" net

Only 1 1/2" in total deductions

I am of the thought of entering him as B & C was founded on trophy symmetrical animals and respect of the harvested animal.

And hopefully sometime in the far future, my grandkids will look up my name in the record book and realize I did my part in wildlife management and recognition of a great hertitage.

That is a really sweet Shiras. I would have no qualms entering an animal but I'd only want to enter one if it was top ten, otherwise eh.

What unit did you hunt out of?

Cnelk, That is a beautiful bull.... I love the euro mount. Go ahead and register that monster... After 18 years of applying, you deserve it. Ken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast